eBay flipping: I'll show you how to lose money

Status
Not open for further replies.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have 10+ paper boxed like this full of baseball cards I collected back in the 80s:
348037_p_office_depot_brand_copy_and_print_paper

They are in my attic as I type this and I haven’t opened a box in 20 years. No telling what kind of condition they are in. I do know there’s every Ripken rookie card in there, Mcquire, Bonds, Murphy, Boggs, Griffey, Jackson and many more. I liked to collect entire boxsets of the year. Topps, Donruss & Upper Deck.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
NV, most of that stuff is relatively worthless and the only stuff worth a damn would have to be in mint condition.

Saying that, I’d be happy to give you some info if you want to crack open the box. The sealed factory sets have some value depending on what they are.

Mind_the_Gap

Aug 23, 2018
Interesting side story: I basically grew up on a baseball field. All us boys collected thousands of baseball cards. One day, half of my stash is gone. I knew one of my friends took them, but had no way to prove it.

Anyway, collected more but eventually grew out of it and everything went into storage.

In college, baseball cards come up in conversation. I told everyone I have a ton and will bring back the hoard the next time I visit the parental units.

When I bring them back, all us dorks start going through the boxes. There were some really really nice cards in there. All except for the fact that my mom but my initials on every single one with nail polish because of what happened when I was kid.

:facepalm:
I feel your pain. My sons collected BB cards in the 80's and occasionally I would take them to a shop for collectibles on Main Street in Danbury, CT. It was the same sort of store run by Stuart on "The Big Bang" and was full of all sorts of collectible toys, comic books, cards, etc. The first time we went there I remember being surprised at some of the things being sold and asked the owner how someone could know what was worth holding on to or collecting.

His reply? Spoken without irony, "Anything your mom tells you to throw away."

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Be sure to tune in to my epic fail tonight! Auction ends at 9:43 PM EST. There are currently 19 watchers on the auction. Should be interesting.

Personally, I'm expecting a final number of between 300 and 400 bucks.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Be sure to tune in to my epic fail tonight! Auction ends at 9:43 PM EST. There are currently 19 watchers on the auction. Should be interesting.

Personally, I'm expecting a final number of between 300 and 400 bucks.

I was bidding on something the other night and it went from $80 to $215 in the final 15 seconds.

(Oh... and one of the watchers is me)

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I was bidding on something the other night and it went from $80 to $215 in the final 15 seconds.

(Oh... and one of the watchers is me)
Good. I expect you to put in a very large bid at the end.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Well, that was a bigger disaster than even I anticipated. I would have hung onto it had I known it would go that low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.