Recruiting Eddie Rojas (founder of Gator Collective) steps down

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Are all these athletes considered 1099-Misc and taxed accordingly as independent contractors? Do you know the ins and outs of it? I mean, we now have a valuation chart we have to keep in mind when recruiting. Does the University get the write offs of hiring these independent contractors?
yes to 1099, no to write off as they are not employed by the university but possible for whoever issues NIL contract to the athlete. There are hundreds of links to the ins and outs of NIL, google it!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I always thought that if they are going to take NIL money, they shouldn't be getting a scholarship too - they could sign paperwork taking either one or the other - not both.

Kevlo911

Oct 29, 2019
But it's separate from the school, what if you don't get enough for tuition? Not everyone will get big deals. Shouldn't stop the 70 percent of players to get some extra money

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
But it's separate from the school, what if you don't get enough for tuition? Not everyone will get big deals. Shouldn't stop the 70 percent of players to get some extra money
As an FYI, for regular students, scholarship money, whether from UF or outside, gets deposited to your UF account with Bursar's office, you don't get it yourself. Any funds leftover after paying for credit hours/fees is then sent to your personal bank account linked to your Bursar account. I call it the "chicken wing fund"

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
As an FYI, for regular students, scholarship money, whether from UF or outside, gets deposited to your UF account with Bursar's office, you don't get it yourself. Any funds leftover after paying for credit hours/fees is then sent to your personal bank account linked to your Bursar account. I call it the "chicken wing fund"
Update: @Gator By Marriage is familiar with this process as well, but he calls his the "buying beers for Detroitgator fund"

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m confused. On the one hand, you say there should be caps; on the other you celebrate the free market. Which is it? Shouldn’t a free market mean no caps?

Agreed

I laughed out loud when I read J’s free market comment. There’s absolutely nothing about NCAA sports that represents a free market.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Should players pay for scholarships and all their meals and gear, etc.?

Interested to hear some thoughts on this now that they’re being paid openly

And shouldn’t they be paying for those luxury apartments they moved into last Fall?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are all these athletes considered 1099-Misc and taxed accordingly as independent contractors? Do you know the ins and outs of it? I mean, we now have a valuation chart we have to keep in mind when recruiting. Does the University get the write offs of hiring these independent contractors?

And when a high dollar player washes out can the athletics program take a tax deduction for a loss on an investment?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m confused. On the one hand, you say there should be caps; on the other you celebrate the free market. Which is it? Shouldn’t a free market mean no caps?
You can have both. Look at every major sports market. A market can set their own rules.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I always thought that if they are going to take NIL money, they shouldn't be getting a scholarship too - they could sign paperwork taking either one or the other - not both.
That’s a good point. It’s a university so only make scholarships academic.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That’s a good point. It’s a university so only make scholarships academic.
And I think you might be mixing things here... are the athletic scholarships actually "UF" scholarships, or are they "UAA" (or whatever) scholarships to UF? I don't know, but they are very different, but related, things.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I agree, possibly the easiest way to effectuate something like that would be to have the NIL sponsors, claw funds back to reimburse the schools for the expenses. Not sure how that would tilt in the anti-trust litigation to follow. So much to learn for everyone over the next few cycles.

Did you see the NCAA just approved emergency add of 14 official visits due to the volume of players in the portal. That is good news for UF if BN continues to follow his due diligent approach to recruiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb