Recruiting Eddie Rojas (founder of Gator Collective) steps down

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Oh they’re gonna be fine.
I know, right? I mean, what could go wrong? I'll tell you this, they need to learn some Big Homie Rules, and fast...

In full disclosure, Big Homie Rules (among other great urban songs with HIGHLY educational business/life lessons) would be part of my inner city charter school curriculum... and I'm serious.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I know, right? I mean, what could go wrong?

Honestly, what much more likely to happen, and is already happening based on what I’ve read, is kids getting “tricked” into contracts without having the necessary legal coverage to protect themselves. Think it was Farrell that talked about instances where kids are finding out about major clauses and that there’s not nearly as much money as they’d been promised.

At the moment, both parties are really naked in a lot of this(see A&M transfers, Rashada, etc). That’s what will inevitably need to be fine tuned.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I know, right? I mean, what could go wrong? I'll tell you this, they need to learn some Big Homie Rules, and fast...

In full disclosure, Big Homie Rules (among other great songs with HIGHLY educational business/life lessons) would be part of my inner city charter school curriculum... and I'm serious.

Preach, Detroit

C9DDE9C6-B564-4F38-AED3-7D7AF68BF3FA.gif

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And I think you might be mixing things here... are the athletic scholarships actually "UF" scholarships, or are they "UAA" (or whatever) scholarships to UF? I don't know, but they are very different, but related, things.
Good point. I don’t know. I have no idea.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Go join the Gator Collective. It is what is paying the players once they are on the team. It is that simple. We have some issues with our UAA and about how they promote the Collective that are getting fixed, but the bottom line is out of the hundreds of thousands UF fans and alumni there are only a couple thousand and some change contributing to the Gator Collective. Football is getting very high 90 percentage range of those funds. This isn't on the UAA...this is on the fans. The UAA cannot contribute money to the funds that pay for the NIL. They can help promote the Gator Collective, which they weren't allowiing for a while but they have finally allowed it and started advertising it sometime in October. If you want the information about how it is actually working join the collective and go see. Stop listening to these twatwaffles who act like its garbage and then complain when players transfer out. Right now, the Boosters are covering down on this which is limiting the Gator Guard for doing stuff.

But the bottom line is we only have a couple thousand members in the Collective. That is the main source for NIL. Join the fugging Collective.

And oh yeah...dont leave this place either. THis is a great place that allows people to discuss things freely. Not trying to tell people to leave here at all. Just trying to get people to contribute to the fund that keeps players on the team as well as recruit new ones because they see and hear first hand from the players on the team while visiting what they are getting.

And oh yeah oh yeah...if you are a member of that POS site Gator Country...FUCHS YOU. Stop giving that place any money. They are hurting our program.

Last edited:

Kyng

Founding Member
The Freak
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2014
Founding Member
I hate what college football has become. At this point might as well just start having a high school draft. Ive always enjoyed college over the NFL because the pro players were always over paid primadonna. Sadly college football is starting to go that same route. Social media also has had a negative impact on the game and no one is going to convince me otherwise.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I might be way off base here, probably because I don't care enough to try to understand how they created the NIL rules but my basic understanding was that a kid could finally get recompense for his name, image, or likeness. So if the Smith Auto Dealership wanted a kid to be in their grand opening ceremony the kid could earn money for that. I'm ok with that.

However, it seems that the NIL is actually playing out like some Universal Basic Income ploy. I'm ok with kids making money off of themselves. It could work to make a kid really hustle to stand out and boost his image. But I'm not sure I'm ok with paying kids to come or just to play.

Am I off base?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Go join the Gator Collective. It is what is paying the players once they are on the team. It is that simple. We have some issues with our UAA and about how they promote the Collective that are getting fixed, but the bottom line is out of the hundreds of thousands UF fans and alumni there are only a couple thousand and some change contributing to the Gator Collective. Football is getting very high 90 percentage range of those funds. This isn't on the UAA...this is on the fans. The UAA cannot contribute money to the funds that pay for the NIL. They can help promote the Gator Collective, which they weren't allowiing for a while but they have finally allowed it and started advertising it sometime in October. If you want the information about how it is actually working join the collective and go see. Stop listening to these twatwaffles who act like its garbage and then complain when players transfer out. Right now, the Boosters are covering down on this which is limiting the Gator Guard for doing stuff.

But the bottom line is we only have a couple thousand members in the Collective. That is the main source for NIL. Join the fugging Collective.

And oh yeah...dont leave this place either. THis is a great place that allows people to discuss things freely. Not trying to tell people to leave here at all. Just trying to get people to contribute to the fund that keeps players on the team as well as recruit new ones because they see and hear first hand from the players on the team while visiting what they are getting.

And oh yeah oh yeah...if you are a member of that POS site Gator Country...FUCHS YOU. Stop giving that place any money. They are hurting our program.
I don't get it. Are you trying to tell me Alabama, Georgia, Miami and Ohio State are rocking recruiting because their FANS are paying into a collective? BS. They have billionaires handing out money. Putting our recruiting shortcomings on the fans is outrageous.

Miami doesn't have enough fans to lure a top waterboy through a collective.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I don't get it. Are you trying to tell me Alabama, Georgia, Miami and Ohio State are rocking recruiting because their FANS are paying into a collective? BS. They have billionaires handing out money. Putting our recruiting shortcomings on the fans is outrageous.

Miami doesn't have enough fans to lure a top waterboy through a collective.

Gator fans are always the scape goat for why the program is where it’s at when in reality it’s always been the admin

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I might be way off base here, probably because I don't care enough to try to understand how they created the NIL rules but my basic understanding was that a kid could finally get recompense for his name, image, or likeness. So if the Smith Auto Dealership wanted a kid to be in their grand opening ceremony the kid could earn money for that. I'm ok with that.

However, it seems that the NIL is actually playing out like some Universal Basic Income ploy. I'm ok with kids making money off of themselves. It could work to make a kid really hustle to stand out and boost his image. But I'm not sure I'm ok with paying kids to come or just to play.

Am I off base?

You are not

What you described is what we were told when Ed O’Bannon initiated the lawsuit over a decade ago.
This is also what we were all told was the premise of NIL.
Much like nearly everything in this country today, once the majority of Americans embraced the concept the NIL premise changed dramatically into nothing more than a pay for play scheme that has nothing to do with Name Image and Likeness.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You are not

What you described is what we were told when Ed O’Bannon initiated the lawsuit over a decade ago.
Much like nearly everything in this country today, once the majority of Americans embraced the concept the NIL premise changed dramatically into nothing more than a pay for play scheme that has nothing to do with Name Image and Likeness.
The “collectives” seem to be solely pay for play. Big money boosters paying them to hawk their businesses seems more in line with the NIL concept IMO. That said, we all know both are not what the original intent was and I don’t think there’s any turning back.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Have we decided he stepped down because he inadequately administers the collective, or instead because he found he cannot be effective and competitive in our NIL program? We believe our collective has been less than competitive but we do not know if that's true, and if so, why. But maybe he's a frustrated administrator but being seen as "stepping down" helps us believe he was part of the problem but nothing will change next cycle.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
You are not

The proof that the collective aspect is off the rails is that they are paying "NIL" money to athletes in every sport to be fair and I have yet to see or hear of any requirement that these minor sport athletes are promoting anything where their name, image or likeness is being used to justify the compensation. It has specifically become pay-for-play and maybe that is OK, but definitely not what NIL was supposed to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.