Recruiting Eddie Rojas (founder of Gator Collective) steps down

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Have we decided he stepped down because he inadequately administers the collective, or instead because he found he cannot be effective and competitive in our NIL program? We believe our collective has been less than competitive but we do not know if that's true, and if so, why. But maybe he's a frustrated administrator but being seen as "stepping down" helps us believe he was part of the problem but nothing will change next cycle.
According to recent rumors.... Admins have handcuffed him from providing what other schools are using to lure top players.

For example, it has now leaked that Deion is offering any 4-5* baller (high 4*'s only) the following per semester to enroll at CU...

1.) One pound of the sticky-icky per semester. That way the player can share with his entourage.
2.) 12 V.I.P. tickets to Cheetah's in Boulder, includes cover charge and two free drinks!
3.) Conjugal visit coupons for away game hotel rooms. This way your star-players aren't out roaming the town for bootie before important road games.
4.) Free class-credit waivers. Two free class credits during the season.
5.) Guaranteed NFL roster spot after only 3 seasons at CU. Results may vary by player.
6.) Loot. Lots and lots of loot.
7.) Co-ed orgies with friends.
8.) Since it's Boulder, successful seasons are rewarded with skiing and blow, er, I mean, snow.
9.) Plus all the normal stuff like shoes, swag and SUV's.

This rise of CU is going to be fast and furious.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Said the fan I blame the most...

walter white GIF

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Have we decided he stepped down because he inadequately administers the collective, or instead because he found he cannot be effective and competitive in our NIL program? We believe our collective has been less than competitive but we do not know if that's true, and if so, why. But maybe he's a frustrated administrator but being seen as "stepping down" helps us believe he was part of the problem but nothing will change next cycle.
There is also the possibility he just got tired of working with the UF admin that wanted to follow all the rules by the letter.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
All the professional sports leagues with salary caps also have player unions. Is that the next shoe to drop?
Yes. A lawsuit in Cal is already making its way through the courts.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Rojas flopped
Admin handcuffs
Play calling
Coaches not liked
Players fighting over money
Crootin

So Collectively, 2020 shambles it is. Merry Christmas and may the New Year deliver, well a new year and portal gold.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Don't know what happened. But I said from the beginning that he was not the guy to be the face of our NIL.
I'm glad that he took the initiative and got it started. But it's a totally independent organization with little relationship to Napier's army of well organized and professional recruiters. He never struck me as the guy who should be leading NIL.

You assume that Napier's staff can't or won't discuss NIL deals so the recruits get turned over to Gator collective. It's very important that they be a very polished and professional organization. They didn't strike me as such. I don't know that they hurt us but I don't think they helped much either. Net neutral, not net positive.

Edit: If anybody is interested go watch some of his videos and give your opinion of him.

Last edited:

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
Hmmm. I'm going to make a single post on this and no more.

NIL deals are more or less designed to make the money that has always been getting paid the student athletes under the table. The stories you have read about so and so being given a brown paper bag full of cash are true as is the stories of such and such's parents being given cars or houses. The NIL puts a big red bow on it and is one less thing the NCAA has to police. It is an attempt to level the playing field for schools that might not have the big buck boosters wanting a kid and paying them under the table. I am not aware of any requirements currently for the athletes to actually earn their money via XX number of appearances or speaking, etc. I can go on and on about this but it's not going to make sense to most.

The issues that arise are when a 'collective' attempts to be a coach and pull a player in without knowing what the coach is thinking. If the 'collective' tells a kid they will give him $X millions because he will be the next starting QB without the coach agreeing, you have a problem. Once the athlete sits down with Coach and is told, hey, I don't care who you are, you have to earn your spot and I won't guarantee you anything.............

In a deeper look, it creates entitlement and the athlete feels that no matter what their skill level is, they will get their money and that they are somehow better than the other kid that might be competing for that spot. Do you see where this is going?

In my opinion and I know I am old school and people will disagree but the biggest payoff to being a member of UF football team is #1 the education and #2 earning the right to get on that turf and in that looker room. The best teammate is the one that is beside you because like you, he loves the game. It is hard to calculate the value of education for some and I understand that. Football can end in a second, so what about the things they can not take from you, ie the experience and education? I won't even talk about the benefits compared to the rest of the student body in housing and food. College is not supposed to be like staying in a resort with butlers and maids.

The attraction to some of these kids is an urge to get any money, NOW. I'm not being racist when I say that some kids struggled to eat every day before they came to school. The life lesson of patience has been lost. Unfortunately some parents treat their kids like a pay check and that can get me into a whole other rant.

To close, I see the need for some pay for play program but what we have today is going to lead to a disaster and ultimately hurt the kids.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Hmmm. I'm going to make a single post on this and no more.

To close, I see the need for some pay for play program but what we have today is going to lead to a disaster and ultimately hurt the kids.
Thanks for the insight and confirmations about what we all knew was the case. I remember the Auburn "hundred dollar handshakes" after the games and the scam Newton ordeal very well (where they paid the parents). I considered it all just part of the chaos of college football.
But now, with the amount of money that the UAA makes off of Television Football Contracts, I find it criminal NOT to pay the players something. Standard salary for tier 1 football player should be calculated and shared equally amongst a team. It should be paid directly from the UAA budget to the players. If a sport produces no net revenue, then that sport should not be paying players. So basically only Men's Basketball and Football players should get paid. Everyone else can suck my Title 9.

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
Been sitting on this for a few days. Forget that I had them actually. Some discussion about the collective. They are posted in order from top to bottom

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    29 KB · Views: 48
  • image-1.png
    image-1.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 47
  • image-2.png
    image-2.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 41
  • image-3.png
    image-3.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image-4.png
    image-4.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 51

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Salient points from Saul's post:
1) Rojas doesn't get paid. Of course, running the collective takes a lot of his time and a lot of his time away from his family. He takes more shyt about than it's worth. He's had enough of it.
2) Nobody at GC gets paid except for a bookkeeper. Of course, they have other expenses like advertising or buying gear that then gets signed by athletes etc. but the rest goes to the athletes.
3) It has been difficult and at times obstructive working with the various groups at the University. UF is being very cautious. Some of that has been loosening up but it has put us at a disadvantage.
4) GC has only 2700 donors. Part of that is the University (and associations) not cooperating to get the message out. Like not allowing them to advertise at Gator Club events. But that is changing.
5) GC does not take in enough money from those 2700. Currently, they have to be supported by other booster sources.
6) Bottom line is that if we want to compete we need more cooperation from the University (which is happening) and more support from the fans.

We've seen the future and it is NIL. You can bytch about it or do something about it.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Where there is money changing hands, somebody is always dipping in the bowl.

Am I right?

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Blow the system up & start from the beginning.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I’m confused. On the one hand, you say there should be caps; on the other you celebrate the free market. Which is it? Shouldn’t a free market mean no caps?
And why not let them come back to college if their draft selection isn't what they hoped? Why not? The whole deal with professional vs amateur has become antiquated and pretty much cancelled now that they are getting paid in college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.