Egbunu petioning to play... would really help us up front!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20141015/ARTICLES/141019710?tc=cr

" By Kevin Brockway
Staff writer

[h=5]Published: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 at 10:21 p.m.[/h] [h=5]Last Modified: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 at 10:21 p.m.[/h]
Florida coach Billy Donovan is concerned about his team's physicality heading into the 2014-15 season.

But that could change if somehow, some way USF transfer forward John Egbunu is eligible for the 2014-15 season. Donovan confirmed that Egbunu is petitioning for a waiver from the NCAA to play right away this season.
“Right now, if I had to guess, it's probably leaning more toward him having to sit out this year,” Donovan said. “We're going to exhaust all of our avenues and see where it leads us. I think he's going to be a very good player.”
Egbunu looked every bit of his 6-foot-11, 266 pounds during media day interviews. He averaged 6.2 points and 7.4 rebounds at USF last season, making the American Athletic Conference all-freshman team.
“I'll just play and let whatever happens, happens,” Egbunu said. “I'll leave it up to God.”
Growing up in Bauchi, Nigeria, Egbunu said he was first exposed to soccer before basketball. He's been playing organized basketball for four years. Egbunu played his junior high school season at Georgia Elite Christian School in McDonough, Ga., before moving on to Fort Walton Beach High School for his senior season.
“I've been playing basketball for such a short period of time, so me transferring to a program like this will only help me,” Egbunu said of his decision to transfer to UF. “Me being able to play for a Hall of Fame coach, it should only benefit me.”
Carter progressing
Donovan said redshirt junior guard Eli Carter is moving “in a much much more positive direction than a year ago” but will be limited the first few practices of the season with an ankle injury.
“He had a bone bruise right now that shouldn't slow him too much,” Carter said.
A Rutgers transfer, Carter appeared in seven games for the Gators last season, averaging 0.4 points and 0.7 rebounds before shutting himself down for a medical redshirt season after not fully recovering from a broken leg he suffered the year before at Rutgers. In his sophomore season at Rutgers, Carter averaged 14.9 points per game before transferring to UF. Carter was not available at Florida media day.
Graham cleared for contact
Redshirt sophomore guard Dillon Graham, who had offseason hip injury, said he was cleared for physical contact a week ago and will begin practicing with the team on Friday.
“I feel so much better,” Graham said. “I'm so happy to have the chance to play basketball again and I'm just blessed and ready to get back after it.”
Like Carter, the 6-foot-4 Graham sat out last season due to a medical redshirt.
“It kind of put me in a reality, I guess,” Graham said. “I was living in a fairytale world, to be honest. It kind of set me back and made me think how blessed I am and fortunate I am to be part of this program.”
Billy D milestone
With 486 career wins, Donovan is closing in on 500 for his career. It's a milestone he could reach at the earliest in Florida's SEC opener Jan. 7 at South Carolina. Donovan is entering his 19th season coaching at Florida and 21st season coaching overall.
“Anytime you hit milestones like that, I think it's always a byproduct of the players and the assistant coaches,” Donovan said. “As a coach, you're only as good as the people around you. That goes to players and coaches. To me that just says starting 19 years here I've been fortunate to have a lot of good players and a lot of good assistants around me.”

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I doubt the NCAA would clear him, but let's hope for the best. Having him play this year would be great.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not getting my hopes up on egbonu but we should be pretty damn good

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Agree... not getting hopes up, but would be huge.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n81343 said:
“Anytime you hit milestones like that, I think it's always a byproduct of the players and the assistant coaches,” Donovan said. “As a coach, you're only as good as the people around you. That goes to players and coaches. To me that just says starting 19 years here I've been fortunate to have a lot of good players and a lot of good assistants around me.”

Gee if Donovan says this (and I really believe it) then how much more is it applicable to football where there are many more assistants, and many more players. Please remember this when we tend to blame Champ for everything, now that said he is responsible for everything but some are not within his control.

G

gatorchamps0607

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they are only trying because 5 players have left USF because of the coaching change.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Even if we don't have egbunu wich is very likely that we don't, I think we still have some length. With walker Horford dodo Murphy and Robinson. When's the last time we had 5 guys on our roster 6'8+? Eli Carter is a wildcard imo if he's healthy and back to his old form,that would be huge for us. I'm pumped I'll be at the first exhibition game

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am hoping Kasey Hill has developed a jump shot. If he has, he will be extremely dangerous.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n81485 said:
I am hoping Kasey Hill has developed a jump shot. If he has, he will be extremely dangerous.
I agree. I actually think he's going to have a hell of a season if he stays healthy. He was playing really well before wilbeikin came back. His jumpshot being off like that was strange to me, I watched his last highschool game(national championship) and he took over late in the game with his jumpshot.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n81483 said:
Even if we don't have egbunu wich is very likely that we don't, I think we still have some length. With walker Horford dodo Murphy and Robinson. When's the last time we had 5 guys on our roster 6'8+? Eli Carter is a wildcard imo if he's healthy and back to his old form,that would be huge for us. I'm pumped I'll be at the first exhibition game

I had forgotten about Horford. Thanks for the reminder.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Murphy in December will be huge. Once we are at full strength we should be pretty good. If Kasey has developed a jump shot then that opens up so much because he is so freakin' quick.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n81502 said:
I had forgotten about Horford. Thanks for the reminder.

I was hearing he could shoot the 3. I guess he just wasn't asked to at Michigan , if it's true you know Billy likes big men that can stretch the floor.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n81525 said:
I was hearing he could shoot the 3. I guess he just wasn't asked to at Michigan , if it's true you know Billy likes big men that can stretch the floor.

Had no idea he could shoot it either. Starting to think this team at full strength will be an offensive juggarnaught. Just need to hold down the defense.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I thought we were supposed to featured on this espnu midnight madness special but I guess not.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That sucked. Why did we stop doing midnight madness in the first place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator