Embedded replies

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Perhaps this has been discussed before.

Is there an ability to do embedded replies, beyond the first reply? I have always enjoyed conversations where you have a series of replies, and replies to replies, etc - and all of the conversation history is displayed. I don't know how to do that here.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Use the multi-quote function.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
If you mean like this

Initial Statement

Response to statement

Then yes, the multi-quote works.

However, embedded replies to me means more like this:

Initial Statement

Response to statement

Which, I don't think this software is picking up. If you quote someone who is replying to a quote, it only takes that response, not the original embedded quote. You have to manually construct it like I did here. It is a setting within site software, and some sites only grab the response in an effort from making thread replies a massive cascade of repeated quotes.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you mean like this

Then yes, the multi-quote works.

However, embedded replies to me means more like this:

Which, I don't think this software is picking up. If you quote someone who is replying to a quote, it only takes that response, not the original embedded quote. You have to manually construct it like I did here. It is a setting within site software, and some sites only grab the response in an effort from making thread replies a massive cascade of repeated quotes.
It's done this way purposely. With the multi-quote function, you can add all the replys you want, and they will post in chronological order. In fact, I think you can even grab a quote from one thread with the multi-quote function, and place it in another thread.

I understand why people would want a series of quotes, however it becomes very common for those to become extremely long and well, a waste of space.

Perhaps there is a learning curve with the multi-quote format, but I think when weighing the pros and cons of either style, the multi-quote style is a better format.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
URG is right on the money on this one. There's a first time for everything.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Multi quote is better. The other quoting style was done on GSMB and posts would be like three minutes of scrolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator