ESPN: D. Fowler #1 preseason DE

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some info from RotoWorld regarding a Scout's take on his pro potential:
Dante Fowler - DL - UF - May. 31 - 5:09 pm et Florida junior DE Dante Fowler is a "talented defender who plays with maximum effort and energy on every play," writes NFL.com's Bucky Brooks. Fowler produced only 3.5 sacks and 10 tackles for loss in 2013, but most experts aren't concerned about that; SEC offensive lines were able to roll protection schemes to neutralize him after Dominique Easley went down. "Fowler has the potential to blossom into a disruptive defender at the next level, [but] he needs to put on more performances like his brilliant display against Tennessee (3 tackles, 1 sack, 3 tackles for loss and 2 forced fumbles) to earn high marks in draft rooms across the league," Brooks wrote. "The buzz is already brewing based on his exceptional effort on tape, but he needs to add a little more production to build a strong case to be a top prospect by season's end." Fowler went No. 6 in CBS Sports analyst Rob Rang's 2015 mock draft. May. 31 - 5:09 pm et Source: NFL.com

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n5220 said:
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...05&src=desktop I think he's going to have 10-12+ sacks. If we have an offense. Teams have just been running on us after they took the lead because we can't score. If we have a functional offense I think he has a big year.
Functional offense has little to do with it. Function DTs are what will determine if he has a good year. We didn't have good DT play last year so teams could easily double or triple team him. When we had Floyd, Easley and Big Omar in the middle two years ago, Fowler kicked azz.

Fowler is a stud, so is Bullard. Frankly, Bullard gets over looked because he is a run stuffer rather than a pass rusher. We're lucky to have them.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think we're going to be solid next year with DT and with our other Ends as well. Linebacker scares me.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You know, two years ago during the HS all star games I remember thinking that two guys were the clear standouts, VHIII and Anzalone (then committed to ND). If AA can ever stay healthy maybe he and Jarrad can fix our problems in the middle.

I'm not quite as optimistic about DT. I hope they will be better but there isn't a Floyd, Easley, or even an Omar Hunter in the middle next year. At best, we'll be serviceable I hope.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anzalone will be a Soph with zero collegiate experience. Jarrad has a bit of experience... I'd like us to have a bit of good, veteran experience with that group. We have a lot of young talent at tackle. A ton of bodies for the first time in a long time. But other than Bullard and Orr I think we have a gap in veteran leadership on the defensive line in general. We didn't have enough players for linebacker last year. I think we even have less players this year.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Expect great things from this great Gator this year!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n5239 said:
I'd like us to have a bit of good, veteran experience with that group.
Of course.

We have a lot of young talent at tackle. A ton of bodies for the first time in a long time. But other than Bullard and Orr I think we have a gap in veteran leadership on the defensive line in general
Orr is depth. Nothing more really, IMO. He doesn't get blown off the ball but he doesn't penetrate either. We may have numbers at DT but no position has a higher failure rate transitioning from HS to college IMO. A freshman may have flashes of brilliance but we certainly can't count on a freshman. Even Floyd and Easley weren't ready to play as freshmen.

I expect Cummings to start in the middle. He looked good at times but you don't really know. Some guys get better the next year and some guys pull an Antonio Morrison.

We didn't have enough players for linebacker last year. I think we even have less players this year.
The current regime is on it's fourth year yet we have holes all over the lineup except at CB and DE. I find it hard to believe that a few here declare he's such a stupendous recruiter when all evidence shows complete ineptitude. I know.... I know... it was the OCs fault.

I think we'll be better at safety and hopefully DT but just serviceable at both (there are no Elams, Major Wrights, Floyd, or Easleys back there) and still struggling at LB. I've been wrong before. I don't think anyone expected Ahmad Black to be elite. However, expecting great turnarounds or development at 8 defensive positions just isn't likely. You build a great defense up the middle, and we just aren't particularly good up the middle.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hope Dante is ready to have a breakout year. Besides VHIII, he's the best defensive player on the team. Time for him to live up to the hype. Let's just hope he continues to work hard and stays focused on and off the field. I hope he doesn't pull a Purifoy.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fowler plays better than law98 post!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Brantley and bostwick have their redshirts comming off both have potential. We have talent at the positions law mentioned it's just unproven.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To cheer myself up, I watch games from '06 and '08. I think against Ohio State the announcers said that the D-Line could substitute themselves...6 man rotation that would go hard every play and rotate in and out of the game. The result was a relatively fresh line for 4 quarters and fewer injuries among the group. The concept makes sense...so even if these guys are not quite up to that talent standard yet, if 6 (or 7 or 8) guys get coached up and rotate in and out of the game, we could improve dramatically on defense.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Our D has been left on the field too long the past few years. We need to put together clock eating drives and let the D catch it's breath.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
deuce coupe;n5308 said:
Our D has been left on the field too long the past few years. We need to put together clock eating drives and let the D catch it's breath.

Weren't we the 1st or 2nd team in TOP due to the Coach's offensive philosophy ? I don't think our defense played that many plays at all compared to many teams last season because of that and other teams just pounding the ball because our offense wasn't scoring. I think we get more sacks this season since the offense should be much improved however making the opposing team have to take more risks than last season.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Get back to me when we see consistent rag doll action in the backfield... time to get the broken promises monkey off our backs... just saying. It's all about the O-line hearsay once again. Go Gators!!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n5344 said:
Weren't we the 1st or 2nd team in TOP due to the Coach's offensive philosophy ? I don't think our defense played that many plays at all compared to many teams last season because of that and other teams just pounding the ball because our offense wasn't scoring. I think we get more sacks this season since the offense should be much improved however making the opposing team have to take more risks than last season.
It became a pretty simple formula to beat us last year. Get ahead by 10 points, which was an insurmountable lead on our offense, and then just grind it up the middle for the win. Gotta have both sides of the ball pulling their weight this year to give us a fighting chance.

G

Founding Member
Founding Member
Law98gator;n5249 said:
Of course.

Orr is depth. Nothing more really, IMO. He doesn't get blown off the ball but he doesn't penetrate either. We may have numbers at DT but no position has a higher failure rate transitioning from HS to college IMO. A freshman may have flashes of brilliance but we certainly can't count on a freshman. Even Floyd and Easley weren't ready to play as freshmen.

I think you are wrong about Orr, ESPN thinks so too. Hard to get TFL without penetrating the line.

10. Leon Orr, R-Sr., Florida: The Gators are lacking depth in the middle of their defensive line and will lean heavily on the 6-5, 305-pound Orr, who had 4.5 tackles for loss a year ago in his first season as a starter. He has played in the shadows of a couple of NFL first-round draft choices (Sharrif Floyd and Dominique Easley), so this is his chance to anchor the interior of that unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.