ESPN: D. Fowler #1 preseason DE

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If our offense can score more than 24 ppg this year, the defense will play better as a group and Fowler will have a huge season.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n5674 said:
If our offense can score more than 24 ppg this year, the defense will play better as a group and Fowler will have a huge season.

For your undefeated prediction to come true, I believe the team needs to average over 30 ppg.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
what does balanced mean to Champ?

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n5745 said:
For your undefeated prediction to come true, I believe the team needs to average over 30 ppg.

Don't we just have to score 1 more point than the other team?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator;n5750 said:
Don't we just have to score 1 more point than the other team?

Technically, but do you really believe we will hold teams down to where we can average just over 20 ppg and win them all?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, hope long sustained O-drives give defense enough rest to kick butt.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n5745 said:

Only three teams last year scored more than 24 points on us. In all three games, our offense was abysmal so our defense basically quit. I stand by my statement that if the offense is consistent throughout the year, the defense will do their part.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
deuce coupe;n5748 said:
what does balanced mean to Champ?

Run just as much up the middle as to the left and right...

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n5753 said:
Technically, but do you really believe we will hold teams down to where we can average just over 20 ppg and win them all?

I really don't know, but I understand your point. I believe that each game takes on a life of its own and that averages have nothing to do with the outcome. Just ask the gamblers...

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n5249 said:
Of course. Orr is depth. Nothing more really, IMO. He doesn't get blown off the ball but he doesn't penetrate either. We may have numbers at DT but no position has a higher failure rate transitioning from HS to college IMO. A freshman may have flashes of brilliance but we certainly can't count on a freshman. Even Floyd and Easley weren't ready to play as freshmen. I expect Cummings to start in the middle. He looked good at times but you don't really know. Some guys get better the next year and some guys pull an Antonio Morrison. The current regime is on it's fourth year yet we have holes all over the lineup except at CB and DE. I find it hard to believe that a few here declare he's such a stupendous recruiter when all evidence shows complete ineptitude. I know.... I know... it was the OCs fault. I think we'll be better at safety and hopefully DT but just serviceable at both (there are no Elams, Major Wrights, Floyd, or Easleys back there) and still struggling at LB. I've been wrong before. I don't think anyone expected Ahmad Black to be elite. However, expecting great turnarounds or development at 8 defensive positions just isn't likely. You build a great defense up the middle, and we just aren't particularly good up the middle.
Recruiting isn't the problem. We have tons of talent at all positions on defense. At safety we have Maye, gorman, Neal, and Harris. At lb we have Anazalone, McMillian, Rolin and Davis. At dt we have Brantley, Bostwick, Willis, Holley, and Cummings. The depth and talent is there. We just need experience.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator said:
Law98gator;n5249 said:
Of course. Orr is depth. Nothing more really, IMO. He doesn't get blown off the ball but he doesn't penetrate either. We may have numbers at DT but no position has a higher failure rate transitioning from HS to college IMO. A freshman may have flashes of brilliance but we certainly can't count on a freshman. Even Floyd and Easley weren't ready to play as freshmen. I expect Cummings to start in the middle. He looked good at times but you don't really know. Some guys get better the next year and some guys pull an Antonio Morrison. The current regime is on it's fourth year yet we have holes all over the lineup except at CB and DE. I find it hard to believe that a few here declare he's such a stupendous recruiter when all evidence shows complete ineptitude. I know.... I know... it was the OCs fault. I think we'll be better at safety and hopefully DT but just serviceable at both (there are no Elams, Major Wrights, Floyd, or Easleys back there) and still struggling at LB. I've been wrong before. I don't think anyone expected Ahmad Black to be elite. However, expecting great turnarounds or development at 8 defensive positions just isn't likely. You build a great defense up the middle, and we just aren't particularly good up the middle.
Recruiting isn't the problem. We have tons of talent at all positions on defense. At safety we have Maye, gorman, Neal, and Harris. At lb we have Anazalone, McMillian, Rolin and Davis. At dt we have Brantley, Bostwick, Willis, Holley, and Cummings. The depth and talent is there. We just need experience.
+1

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n5814 said:
Only three teams last year scored more than 24 points on us. In all three games, our offense was abysmal so our defense basically quit. I stand by my statement that if the offense is consistent throughout the year, the defense will do their part.
That stat (only 3 teams scored more than 24) is a mirage. By mid season, it was well known that a 10 point lead put the game out of reach for us. Teams didn't have to score a ton of points and didn't risk putting the ball in the air in the second half of games. That said, I do agree with your point that our defense will pull their weight...if the offense does.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n5940 said:
That stat (only 3 teams scored more than 24) is a mirage. By mid season, it was well known that a 10 point lead put the game out of reach for us. Teams didn't have to score a ton of points and didn't risk putting the ball in the air in the second half of games. That said, I do agree with your point that our defense will pull their weight...if the offense does.
Glad we agree, whatever bogus stats I quote to make my point is irrelevant.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r said:
MJMGator;n5940 said:
Glad we agree, whatever bogus stats I quote to make my point is irrelevant.
:)

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What we need here is an unbiased opinion. Who the heck is Dante Fowler ?-- just the best DE-engine in college football is my guess.
Most up, we need an offense more effective than theirs. 2 important reasons : so our defense gets plenty "catch-breath time" AND some stuff to watch and rejoice about, get fired up for. That's nice game to see and play in.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Oh and Roper's-O should average 21 this year, 28 next and 3rd year 35. Otherwise I've had it with somebody up there. :shake:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics