ESPN "future" rankings

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
ESPN has been doing a series of articles about "future" rankings of college teams based on defense/offense, as well as a standalone for QB.

Thought it might be worth discussing. Here is the high level outcome for the Gators, as well as the links.

Offense: 9 (Future Offensive Power Rankings: Clemson and then who?)

• 9. Florida Gators

2019 future QB ranking: 16
    2018 future offense ranking: Not ranked

Scouting the Gators: We shouldn't be surprised, but coach Dan Mullen has dramatically changed Florida's outlook on offense after only one season. Quarterback Feleipe Franks has gone from likely bust to potential star, and he has two years of eligibility left. The Gators should feature one of the SEC's best wide receiver groups, as their top five pass-catchers return, and both Trevon Grimes and Kadarius Toney have two years of eligibility. Lamical Perine will lead the rushing attack for one more year before Dameon Pierce or another back takes over. Florida also added top tight end recruit Keon Zipperer in the 2019 class. The offensive line is the immediate concern with only one returning starter, but Florida continues to recruit well with players such as Richard Gouraige and Deyavie Hammond.
Defense: 5 (Future Defensive Power Rankings: Can Georgia catch Bama?)

• 5. Florida Gators

2018 future defense ranking: 11

Scouting the Gators: The overall outlook in Gainesville is better entering coach Dan Mullen's second year, and the defense should remain a team strength. Florida will miss pass rusher Jachai Polite, top tackler Vosean Joseph and playmaking safety Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, but there's plenty left over for coordinator Todd Grantham, who passed up the NFL to remain with the Gators. If Marco Wilson returns at full strength, he and CJ Henderson form one of the nation's top cornerback tandems. The front seven also features familiar names in end Jabari Zuniga (6.5 sacks, 11 tackles for loss in 2018), linebacker David Reese II (126 tackles the past two seasons), tackle Adam Shuler and edge rusher Jon Greenard, who had seven sacks and 15.5 tackles for loss at Louisville in 2017 before suffering a season-ending injury on the first defensive series last year. The departure of four-star cornerback recruit Chris Steele stings, and it will be interesting to see what happens with Florida's recruiting after it signed ESPN's No. 9 class in 2019.
QB: 16 (Lawrence leads Clemson to top of QB Future Power Rankings)

• 16. Florida Gators
    2018 ranking: Not ranked

Returning starter: Feleipe Franks

Scouting the Gators: Few around the sport are surprised that Dan Mullen has quickly brightened the quarterback outlook in Gainesville. Franks made obvious strides under Mullen in 2018, passing for 1,019 yards more than he had the previous season and improving his touchdown-to-interception ratio from 9-8 to 24-6. The third-year junior could cover Florida at quarterback through the 2020 season. Kyle Trask provides some experience and insurance, but Mullen's work with Emory Jones, ESPN's No. 5 dual-threat quarterback and No. 59 overall player in the 2018 class, will be particularly interesting. Jones still has four years of eligibility left, as he appeared in only four games last season. Florida also added ESPN 300 prospect Jalon Jones in the 2019 class.
What do you guys think? Too high/low for any of them? Where would you rank the Gators in each category?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We needed to be told these were "future"? It's May 29.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, it beats bandying about two-year-old threads.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I'd like to know when this article was posted. How hard is it to edit out the last line? Jalon Jones isn't here anymore obviously. The pieces about the offense and defense were okay. They're not Will Myles-good but it's the off-season and I'm fiending for any news or reports.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I'd like to know when this article was posted. How hard is it to edit out the last line? Jalon Jones isn't here anymore obviously. The pieces about the offense and defense were okay. They're not Will Myles-good but it's the off-season and I'm fiending for any news or reports.
Especially since the author noted Steele was gone. Lazy reporting.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
May 6.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I believe each of the 3 were released at different times. The defense one is the new one which is why Steele is mentioned. I simply linked to all 3 to give the full story for discussion. The QB one was prior to Jones leaving I'm sure.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did ESPN project their own future? They should be more concerned about the ongoing loss of viewers due to their obsession with liberal politics. I understand their new CEO said they were going to back off of politics but that is easier said than done when all the on air talent thinks they have opinions anyone cares to hear about. Good luck BSPN......you are going to need it

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator