ESPN Mid-Season Stories - Best/Worst

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://espn.go.com/college-footbal...m-mcelwain-debut-highlight-cfb-best-midseason

They have McElwain at #2 in COY (behind Utah's Whittingham) & #1 in Best 1st Year Coaches.

Townsend is #5 on their Ray Guy Award list.

#4 Most Memorable Images: UT coach collapes after UF comeback win.

UF #2 as Biggest Surprise Teams.

Al Golden #4 on Coaches on the Hot Seat.

Jeff Driskel #3 on Comeback Players.

No Gators among Top Freshman.

Spurrier #1 in Biggest Headlines....Wll Grier #3

Best Finishes: #4 UF 28-27 vs UT.

Dalvin Cook #5 on Heisman watch.

VH3 #1 on Jim Thorpe list.

No Gators on the Lou Groza list...suprisingly. :lol:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n300678 said:
Callaway should be on the freshman list.
He very well could have been considered and hopefully will continue to impress and show up on the End of Season 'best freshmen' list.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n300678 said:
Callaway should be on the freshman list.

The only reason I can think of why he isn't, is receiving yards. We haven't lit the world on fire through the air like some teams do. He's had some amazing plays for us this year, but his total yards aren't going to match up against some of the others because we spread it around so much.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
I know Driskel is playing lesser competition, but he is putting up great numbers. I don't think he would have been great in the SEC no matter our coach, but having Muschamp as his coach thankfully was not a death sentence as regards his athletic future.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Right, and after playing against SEC defenses, what Driskel is facing now must seem like taking candy from a baby.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
NavetG8r;n300684 said:
The only reason I can think of why he isn't, is receiving yards. We haven't lit the world on fire through the air like some teams do. He's had some amazing plays for us this year, but his total yards aren't going to match up against some of the others because we spread it around so much.

He passes the eye test if you watch the film, but not the on paper test if you simply look at the box score. You are probably correct.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
His o-line, RB's, and WR's are not SEC caliber. They're all equal to their opposition and he's doing VERY well.

I actually believe he could have been successful here at UF under Nuss/McElwain but chose to leave because of all the hate and vile behavior that overshadowed his time here as a Gator. he needed a new start and IMHO am glad he left. UF needed a fresh new start w/a different QB.

We all knew it would be the two we have but who knew they would be mired in such turmoil w/their off-the-field issues?

But kudos to JD and I hope he gets a chance to play in the NFL. He gave UF everything he had and went through hell between all the different OC's and fanatical hatred.

:chomp:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was really good in the first quarter. Best I've ever seen him look and frankly as good as any QB I've seen. Then he fell apart again.

I've watched him twice this year and he fell apart in the second half both games. I'd hardly call it doing very WELL but stepping way down in competition has surely helped. He has an excellent slot receiver (Taylor) who won't surprise me if he becomes a star in the NFL.

Like everyone else, I'm quite glad he's gone.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
McElwain may turn out to be the home run of Foley's career, greater even than Donovan.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n301052]McElwain may turn out to be the home run of Foley's career, greater even than Donovan. [/QUOTE]

My vote for COY goes to McElwain, as most would if they mentally embrace the true "whole program cancer" that
MessedChomp was; his malignant-sells metastasized throughout our team with his coach-staff contributing at
countering any treatment by talent on hand.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
rogdochar;n301256 said:
My vote for COY goes to McElwain, as most would if they mentally embrace the true "whole program cancer" that
MessedChomp was; his malignant-sells metastasized throughout our team with his coach-staff contributing at
countering any treatment by talent on hand.

I said prior to the season if he goes 8-4 he should be National COY w/ the roster we have (offensively handicapped)....and at least SEC COY. Looks like he's a lock to win it now unless there's a major collapse. Even w/ a loss to UGA & FSU, no one except a true homer thought we'd go 9-3...we split those two games and we're 10-2. The only other coaches in the running are Whittingham and Harbaugh (at a P5 school). Some of the non P5 schools have some great up and coming coaches (Memphis State, Houston particularly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator