ESPN: New UF coach Napier looks to rebuild Gators into NC contender

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Everything written below this sentence was provided to me by Swamp Donkey. Figured I'd share.

Billy Napier's blueprint to building Florida into a championship contender

"Going behind the curtain and studying what Saban built taught him three valuable lessons about a large and well-structured staff, he says: the "compound effect of well-defined roles" and how it leads to efficiency in all areas of the organization; how that efficiency and ability to delegate tasks to lower-level staff frees up coaches to have a better work-life balance, which improves performance; and how a large staff helps manage attrition among assistant coaches by either providing a pool of internal candidates or by supporting outside hires as they get up to speed. "

Swamp Donkey: Some people mocked big staffs at Ugly and Bammer, but the reality is the jobs have gotten so damn big that you must do that to be prepared and competed.

As much as I dislike his "slow-the-game-down" and time of possession offensive philosophies, these are the good things that Slingblade brings to our team, for good, win or lose. At least we are finally mimicking the good part of Alabama. Hiring Chimp and Butterteeth didn't do that, at all.

Could you imagine difference between interviewing Napier and Butters? "The compound effect of well defined roles" obviously a guy who studies organizational management vs a guy who is too lazy to wear socks and talks about spreading the peanut butter to the edge.

If you listened to that podcast by Zack Smith to hear the parts about him calling Mullen a bitch, it is also worth listening to him talking about Urban. He still loves him as much as you do and he talked about how Urban may have been passed up just a bit in Xs and Os but he was elite in organization. He studied those people (like Nike, Underarmour, Musk) etc much more than he studied other coaches Xs and Os. I kind of agree, you can hire someone to do the Xs and Os for cheap.

/Swamp Donkey

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
great article........I guess we are gonna find out if the saban machine concept works here or that Napier can duplicate it.....under the new NIL and transfer shttt........

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Incredible article--looks like we've found a really good coach.

Impressed by the attention to detail he brings--and the player interviews after the season. The parking issue seems minor and perhaps it is--but having the players voice it and be heard by their new coach has to help build trust & chemistry when he just gets it done.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Have no idea over the long term about Sling Blade, but I said from his first talk that he sounds like a head coach and at least says he understands Attention to Detail. Whether he can implement it or understand it in game management situation will be seen. But we have not had a Head Coach in almost 15 years,

BTW, Law, never heard of her.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
"Members of Napier's staff say they were surprised by how outdated the setup was once they got to campus and saw the old offices inside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Picture overly rich wood tones and cinder blocks. Cramped meeting rooms and a lack of modern amenities made coaches feel like a return to the early 2000s."

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fantastic article. As much as I have tried to absorb about Napier and his approach, I still learned a lot from this as well as gaining additional validation that he completely gets it.

I really like the “Alabama football structure and the Clemson culture” description it sounds like a great blend.
I would really like to learn what Stricklin listed to Napier as the primary challenges we face to see how they differ from the list we could create here on Chatter.

Can’t wait for September 3rd.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Typical Donkey.

Summer Sun GIF by Kochstrasse™

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
"Members of Napier's staff say they were surprised by how outdated the setup was once they got to campus and saw the old offices inside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Picture overly rich wood tones and cinder blocks. Cramped meeting rooms and a lack of modern amenities made coaches feel like a return to the early 2000s."
I cringed when I read that.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
586238d49a07dcdefa04c435454d8e18.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.