Exactly what does it take to get into UF these days?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Zambo, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $7,779
    Ratings:
    +16,157 / -146
    Was talking to an old friend today and he mentioned that his niece is heading off to FSU even though everybody in the family went to UF. She wanted to go to Gainesville but couldn’t get accepted. She went to Bolles School, straight A student, and played varsity basketball from 8th grade on.

Is there anybody left in Gainesville with a life? WTF?

• MuddyChewers

MuddyChewers Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $4,277
      Ratings:
      +9,923 / -41
      UF...Harvard of the South. Or so they say.

I worked in the mail room for about a year opening applications, letters transcripts etc. Lot of kids would reapply after getting rejected and they were outstanding students. Admissions looks heavily at activities and the essay. Gotta have something that stands out.

• oxrageous

oxrageous It's Good to be King
      Administrator

Oxbucks:
      $22,643
      Ratings:
      +38,020 / -1,241
      If you ain't Asian, you ain't getting in.

• Like Like x 4
      • Dislike Dislike x 3
      • List

78 Dazed and Confused
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $12,409
        Ratings:
        +18,417 / -899
        Ever since I graduated, I've been arguing for stricter admissions standards.

• bayou gator

bayou gator Ancient GSMB Veteran
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $586
          Ratings:
          +1,091 / -8
          Must take as many AP or IB classes as possible, weighted GPA must be higher than a 4.0, and at least a 30 on the ACT just to have a legit chance.

• crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,325
          Ratings:
          +8,226 / -26
          http://news.ufl.edu/articles/2017/0...s-list-of-top-10-best-public-universities.php
          [​IMG]
          The University of Florida has become the first Florida school to break into the list of top 10 best public universities, coming in at No. 9, according to the 2018 U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges rankings released today.

The 2018 list of top 10 best public universities now looks like this:

1 – University of California, Berkeley *
          1 – University of California, Los Angeles *
          3 – University of Virginia
          4 - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
          5 - University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
          6 – College of William & Mary
          7 – Georgia Institute of Technology
          8 – University of California, Santa Barbara
          9 – University of Florida *
          9 – University of California, Irvine *
          9 – University of California, San Diego *
          * = tie

Now the state’s highest-ranked university, UF last year was ranked No. 14 among publics and No. 50 overall.

“This is a significant milestone that we can all be proud of, and it happened as the result of many years of focused work and a keen sense of purpose,” UF President Kent Fuchs said. “Our faculty – the core of our academic reputation – and staff deserve tremendous credit for lifting us up to get us here, as do previous leaders, particularly Bernie Machen, and UF’s Board of Trustees. We also owe a huge debt of gratitude to the Legislature, Gov. Rick Scott and the Board of Governors for their continued support to ensure that the nation’s third most-populous state has the world-class university it deserves.”

The U.S. News rankings are based on up to 15 key measures of quality that are used to capture the various dimensions of academic quality at each university. The measures fall into seven broad areas: undergraduate academic reputation; graduation and retention rates; faculty resources; student selectivity; financial resources; alumni giving; and graduation rate performance.

Factors that helped UF’s ranking improve this year include:

• Undergraduate academic reputation – Created from an annual survey of college and university presidents, provosts and admissions officers as well as high school guidance counselors. Each individual is asked to rate peer schools' undergraduate academic programs on a scale from 1 (marginal) to 5 (distinguished). It counts for 22.5 percent of each school’s overall score. UF’s score in that category this year was 3.7, up from 3.6 last year.
          • Selectivity – A function of how many student applicants a school admits each year and students’ SAT and ACT scores and high school class standings. It accounts for 12.5 percent of the total; UF’s score was up seven points from 54 last year to 47 this year.
          • Graduation rate performance – A comparison between the actual six-year graduation rate for students entering in fall 2009 and the predicted graduation rate. The predicted graduation rate is based upon characteristics of the entering class, as well as characteristics of the institution. UF’s score rose four points this year over last year, in part because U.S. News this year began factoring in the percentage of STEM (science, technology, math and engineering) graduates into its calculation.
          Fuchs extended congratulations to the other Florida schools that saw their U.S. News rankings improve this year: Florida State University, Florida A&M University, the University of Central Florida, the University of South Florida and Florida International University.

UF’s quest to become a top-10 public research institution officially began in 2013, when the Legislature passed, and Scott signed, a bill designating it a preeminent university and providing special funding to be used for helping it reach top status. Florida State University also received the preeminent designation.

UF has since used preeminence funding to hire more than 100 senior leading faculty from all over the world. Earlier this year, the university announced a plan to increase the faculty by an additional 500 members to continue to increase research excellence and reduce class sizes.

Many new UF researchers have cited the school’s exceptional breadth of disciplines and the numerous opportunities for collaboration that brings with it a reason for coming to work at the university. UF is one of only six universities in the country with colleges of law, medicine, engineering, agriculture and veterinary medicine on one campus.

Fuchs said UF alumni – half a million strong – and friends represent one of the strongest and most loyal communities in the world and should be especially proud. He also offered his thanks to university leaders around the country for their votes of confidence in UF.

“We have benefitted greatly from their wise advice and sage counsel,” he said.

While he welcomed the new ranking, Fuchs said the university’s work is far from done.

“Now is the time to double down,” he said. “We have the talent, the collective will and the means to keep moving up. We owe it to our students and the people of Florida to be the very best public research institution we can be.”

View UF's U.S. News rankings at https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-florida-1535.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $7,779
            Ratings:
            +16,157 / -146
            Harvard has less than 7000 undergrads. UF is 35,000. How can there be that many kids each year with those kind of qualifications?

• GatorInGeorgia

GatorInGeorgia Senior Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $2,185
            Ratings:
            +2,740 / -163
            Tell her to reapply using the alias Long Duc Dong...or Emily Chen. That will get her in.

• Like Like x 5
            • Dislike Dislike x 1
            • List
            • MuddyChewers

MuddyChewers Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $4,277
              Ratings:
              +9,923 / -41
              Harvard rejects them first

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $7,779
                Ratings:
                +16,157 / -146
                I can’t believe there are 10,000 kids each year that ace the SAT/ACT, rack up a gpa over 4.0, have a nice resume of extracurricular activities, and want to go to UF. Insane.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Your mother makes me sammiches
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $42,551
                Ratings:
                +67,203 / -3,226
                Remember that they have been "recentering" both the SAT and ACT since the mid90s and have had drastic rises in the scores since then. Your 27 or 28 would have been a 32 or so under the newer system.

• oxrageous

oxrageous It's Good to be King
                  Administrator

Oxbucks:
                  $22,643
                  Ratings:
                  +38,020 / -1,241
                  [​IMG]

• Great White Buffalo

Great White Buffalo Well-Known Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $545
                    Ratings:
                    +552 / -76
                    I don't know about now, but I know 30 years ago all you needed was a 3.3 GPA and 1050 SAT. What are extracurricular activities?

:drunk2:

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $7,779
                      Ratings:
                      +16,157 / -146
                      You my friend have a gift.

• GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $2,185
                        Ratings:
                        +2,740 / -163
                        Exactly. Also, 30 years ago our grading schedule stopped at 4.0, although AP and honors classes allegedly carried more weight when the college admissions departments reviewed individual transcripts. 4.3 GPAs didn’t exist. It’s an apples and oranges comparison.

• Buckman2000

Buckman2000 Well-Known Member
                          Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                          $529
                          Ratings:
                          +690 / -25
                          I remember back when I applied and all the state schools accepted me with a few weeks. UF took almost a whole extra month to give me the go ahead and that was back in 1995. I took honors and AP classes all 4 years. My GPA was about a 4.0 weighted. My SATs were average at best but did just enough. Being Latino and having an Uncle graduating from UF in the early 80s helped me out a ton. I finished UF with a 3.4 so SATs can suck it...

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Your mother makes me sammiches
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $42,551
                            Ratings:
                            +67,203 / -3,226
                            Not to mention that up to 50% of the kids in HS classes commonly are given an A. A doesnt mean excellent anymore.

• Caloosahatchee

Caloosahatchee I voted for Law!

Oxbucks:
                              $5
                              Ratings:
                              +183 / -9
                              If you ain't smart you ain't getting in. I graduated in Electrical Engineering and had alot of Asians in my classes.... but that was about as ignorant a statement as has been made around here in a while.

Sorry, obviously touched a nerve. I'm not Asian btw, but they "ain't" smarter

• divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $7,520
                                Ratings:
                                +16,629 / -101
                                Don't get me started. I've b!tched about this since my son wasn't allowed in with a 32 ACT (100% on the science portion), 4.2 GPA with AP classes, 9 hours of college credits earned in HS, sports, clubs, yada, yada, yada. Many kids we know got in with lower qualifications. Shoulda' listed himself as American Indian.

#19 divits, Mar 8, 2018
                                Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
                                • GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $2,185
                                  Ratings:
                                  +2,740 / -163
                                  So true. When a school district has a problem with students getting poor grades and poor standardized test scores they can put forth effort to do a better job teaching the students...or they can just give out higher grades and change the answers on standardized test answer sheets. Sadly, the second option is all too common. But hey, when 6 figure bonuses for the superintendent and staff are at stake, anything goes.