Example of how a different coach can impact the same talent

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The difference between the 1989 and 1990 Gators was amazing and remarkable in that it was mostly the same talent minus somebody named Emmitt.

The right coach can have a profound impact on the same talent here - we've seen it happen.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
jaywalker72;n84122 said:
The difference between the 1989 and 1990 Gators was amazing and remarkable in that it was mostly the same talent minus somebody named Emmitt.

The right coach can have a profound impact on the same talent here - we've seen it happen.

Yep. I actually think the new coach could have a good first year with what we have. The 2nd year will probably be the bad year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah but we used that Auburn one alot already. The pumpers said we could go from last to first like Auburn did so long as we kept our terrible HC.... you know, just like Auburn did kept their terrible head coach. :shrug:

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can't see any prospective new coach looking at our roster, especially on defense, and thinking "wow, these guys suck and have no talent." Even on offense, guys like Brandon Powell, Kelvin Taylor, Demarcus Robinson and the combo of Harris/Grier at qb is promising. My point is, we can see a fairly quick turnaround.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It will have a lot to do with the attitude of the players. The difference in '89 and '90 was due to 2 things. Spurrier being hired and the '87 recruiting class becoming upper classmen and taking over that team. A friend of mine was a walk on at Florida in '87. I have talked to him a lot about the impact of that class, and he always says that the biggest impact was off the field. There was a tradition of the upper classmen inviting the rookies to a fake party, and then shaving their heads. The '87 class found out and showed up to the party and told the upper classmen that they were not gonna shave their heads. When the upper classmen forced the issue a fight broke out. The '87 class stood up to them and changed the culture of Florida Football. He said the upper classmen were lazy and entitled and that was wearing off on subsequent classes until '87 broke the chain.

We need some players like that '87 class. Guys that are talented, but also have a chip on their shoulder and will work their tail off. If we get that and a coach to lead them we will be right back where we belong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.