Extra point extra - blind long snapper gets in live game

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Ray Crone shared a post.

4 hrs ·
WITH ALL of The NEGATAVIsM I.n today’s world -take a minute to look at this College FB story ......USC coach Clay Helton -whose Dad Kim coached st UF -just made great move getting this kid in the game. Great piece. Goo Trojans!!!
Ray is a friend of mine from Gville, taught PE for many years. Father was a prof. at UF.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hate USC..... Love this moment!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a little disappointed the other team stood there when the ball is snapped instead of hitting and attempting to block as they usual would. If you're going to put him out there, then the other team can't be expected to stop playing.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I think Helton's dad also played center for UF.
Helton was born in Pensacola, Florida. He attended the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played center for coach Ray Graves' Florida Gators football team from 1967 to 1969.[1] He graduated from Florida with a bachelor's degree in physical education in 1970.

Helton began his coaching career as head coach at Eastside High School in Gainesville in 1970. After two seasons there, Helton became a graduate assistant at the University of Florida in 1972.[2] Later, Helton became the offensive line coach under new Gators head coach Doug Dickey, a position he held from 1973 to 1978. In 1979,

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I just realized this is the same blind kid that Corso reached over to shake hands with on Game Day! :facepalm:

Gatormb

Jul 26, 2018
I think Helton's dad also played center for UF.
Helton was born in Pensacola, Florida. He attended the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played center for coach Ray Graves' Florida Gators football team from 1967 to 1969.[1] He graduated from Florida with a bachelor's degree in physical education in 1970.

Helton began his coaching career as head coach at Eastside High School in Gainesville in 1970. After two seasons there, Helton became a graduate assistant at the University of Florida in 1972.[2] Later, Helton became the offensive line coach under new Gators head coach Doug Dickey, a position he held from 1973 to 1978. In 1979,

Hey coach, are you friends with "Shade Tree" Barfield?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This kid’s story absolutely slayed me when it was on Gameday. So awesome that he got to go to USC and get a play on the field.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Hey coach, are you friends with "Shade Tree" Barfield?
I wish. You know the most ironic thing about Barfield, right? Not being allowed to kick the PATs vs Misery in the Sugar Bowl when
he had a record of consecutive PATs. Had they kicked each one they win 21-20. SOS still won the MVP of that game. Was his name Wayne?

Gatormb

Jul 26, 2018
I wish. You know the most ironic thing about Barfield, right? Not being allowed to kick the PATs vs Misery in the Sugar Bowl when
he had a record of consecutive PATs. Had they kicked each one they win 21-20. SOS still won the MVP of that game. Was his name Wayne?

Yes. When I was at UF 72-76 I played City league softball for WW Gay 74-76 and Wayne was our 3rd baseman. You were allowed two students on the team and we traveled tournament ball all over the state. Wayne and I got pretty close. Whole team was a bunch of great guys.

Much of the team was ex Spurrier team mates (Tommy Glenn, Bobby Henley). Steve came and played with us a couple of weeks when transferring from San Fran to Tampa Bay. Outfielder who caught Willie Mays style.

Looked up and had breakfast with Wayne about a year and a half ago. He's still in Gainesville.

EDIT: Told me the story of how his streak ended. Playing at Miami and we had the ball on our own 10 yard line. He and some of the guys were "shooting beavers" in the stands and Spurrier scored in like four plays.

Said he had to run 75 yards to kick the extra point and missed.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Great story. Wayne also played some RB. When I searched I saw his stats. Didnt know that stuff.

Gatormb

Jul 26, 2018
Great story. Wayne also played some RB. When I searched I saw his stats. Didnt know that stuff.

See my edit above. I think it was Wayne who had the El Camino which was stocked with kegs and a bar for tournament weekends. No open carry laws then.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Is this about Jake?

They showed the original story while gameday was in Gainesville when he was still a kid...as they went back to Fowler after the clip about Jake had played all the fans were chanting "JAKE! JAKE! JAKE!"...Fowler quipped "Very classy gators".

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
ESPN has a special on this kid, E:60 or whatever. Recommended viewing. He's been around that program since Carroll was there.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Here it is! Perhaps the most cringe-worthy moment in TV history. Poor Chris Fowler for being right in the middle of it.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a little disappointed the other team stood there when the ball is snapped instead of hitting and attempting to block as they usual would. If you're going to put him out there, then the other team can't be expected to stop playing.
Missed one of those golden opportunities to leap right over the center and block the kick. Snapper would have had no idea.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Missed one of those golden opportunities to leap right over the center and block the kick. Snapper would have had no idea.
If the kid had gotten knocked on his ass he probably would have loved it. It is football after all.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
FSU Coach Willie Taggart Doesn't Believe USC Player Is Really Blind

ADAM WELLS

SEPTEMBER 6, 2018

hi-res-96d24663c9cb70ced4c353613e876154_crop_north.jpg

Florida State head coach Willie Taggart has accused Southern Cal long-snapper of faking blindness to slow the pace during Sunday's game against Western Michigan.

Taggart was asked during the ACC coaches call Wednesday if he thought seeing the player get up slowly was deliberate.

"Really? He can't see, but he's in college?!," Taggart told reporters.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Ray Crone shared a post.

4 hrs ·
WITH ALL of The NEGATAVIsM I.n today’s world -take a minute to look at this College FB story ......USC coach Clay Helton -whose Dad Kim coached st UF -just made great move getting this kid in the game. Great piece. Goo Trojans!!!
Ray is a friend of mine from Gville, taught PE for many years. Father was a prof. at UF.

Who would have thought we'd ever see this day?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
FSU Coach Willie Taggart Doesn't Believe USC Player Is Really Blind

ADAM WELLS

SEPTEMBER 6, 2018

hi-res-96d24663c9cb70ced4c353613e876154_crop_north.jpg

Florida State head coach Willie Taggart has accused Southern Cal long-snapper of faking blindness to slow the pace during Sunday's game against Western Michigan.

Taggart was asked during the ACC coaches call Wednesday if he thought seeing the player get up slowly was deliberate.

"Really? He can't see, but he's in college?!," Taggart told reporters.
Is this real or a joke?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.