Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
os-gators-ad-jeremy-foley-george-diaz-1030-20141029

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
For those that think facilities - such as nice/big dorms, players lounges, nice weight rooms, etc - don't matter you need to go hang out w/ teenagers and find out what really matters to them. They DO care about those things and if all things are equal they will choose the pretty toys over the worn out same-old
What he said.
Some of these kids spend 4 or 5 hours a day sitting on their asses playing games. It is what it is, like it or not, be it wrong or right...You better give them a damned comfortable place to do it. If not you'll start getting out of it(the program) what you put into it....

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Didn't we just build an indoor practice facility, upgrade the athlete dorms and start a 50 million dollar renovation of the O-Dome? Look, I'm hating Foley as much as the next guy, probably more on a day when the NCAA starts without us, but it's not accurate to say we refuse to upgrade. Late to the party? Sure. But it's not like we've done nothing.

50 Million Dollar renovation for basketball that could have been used elsewhere for football.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
What he said.
Some of these kids spend 4 or 5 hours a day sitting on their asses playing games. It is what it is, like it or not, be it wrong or right...You better give them a damned comfortable place to do it. If not you'll start getting out of it(the program) what you put into it....

This times 1000000 not to mention today's teens love their shiny new toys/objects. We have a lot of folks out of touch with reality if they think that are facilities don't matter. In fact, it is that exact same sentiment..."We are FLORIDA!" that got us here. We don't need to compete, we're the best. We don't get in arms races, we're the best.

Someone made a great point on another site...while foley did usher us through a golden age in both football and basketball. He let did not keep up with the Jones' and rested on his laurels(which are bar none, the best during that time). You can't look at us now and not say to yourself...what the hell happened to our BB and FB programs? How did we end up here?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
In fact, it is that exact same sentiment..."We are FLORIDA!" that got us here. We don't need to compete, we're the best. We don't get in arms races, we're the best.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't believe this myself until a couple of years back. Besides kids that are 17&18 now were in 4th grade the last time our football team was great.....they don't remember how great we were.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be lying if I said I didn't believe this myself until a couple of years back. Besides kids that are 17&18 now were in 4th grade the last time our football team was great.....they don't remember how great we were.

There are folks on here that will swear that WM's 11-1 year was GREAT and that counts and kids remember that greatness. I was told that many many times.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yup, the upgrade Fooley promised Billy D in 1998.
It's not even much of an upgrade. Its basically just new bleachers. You still wont be able to for shcit once you get past the middle of section 2. It's just a huge waste of money imo.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Okay ... Let's add a student nightclub ... ladies drink free (GNC smoothies).
Jukebox or live DJ 'round the clock. Jumbo screen for music videos.
Have interactive video-games of pushups, sit-ups, etc competing against the computer.
Instead of mechanical bull, have robo-man rusher to block and a robo-man blocker
to throw aside or drive back or pancake (most points). No sedate video games.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
With this, some of you care what ESPN thinks. Funny.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Not buying it? LOL. You're the same guy who Muschamp could've murdered your grandma and you'd still been calling for his fifth season.

Where are the Foleyites?
Some espn moron named Hiney "blogs" the worst facilities so you can repeat the SOS about JF. Do you and Law ever think of anything else?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's play Athletic Director. Why don't you a few of you geniuses individually put together your line item list of facility improvements/changes or upgrades that you feel necessary to allow UF to recruit 5 star high school football players on a nationally championship level. year in and year out. Along with your list, be sure and include what you think the cost impact and construction timeline.should be. This is not a personnel search and keep in mind you will also need to get these facility changes or upgrades approved and financed.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
USCe must now be including muschamp's private island mansion... Purchased complimentary of the UF athletic department.
:embarrassed:

Mustink knows he sucks.....he's renting that joint.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
Let's play Athletic Director. Why don't a few of you geniuses individually put together your line item list of facility improvements/changes or upgrades that you feel necessary to allow UF to recruit 5 star high school football players on a nationally championship level. year in and year out. Along with your list, be sure and include what you think the cost impact and construction timeline.should be. This is not a personnel search and keep in mind you will also need to get these facility changes or upgrades approved and financed.

This could be interesting...

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't read every post in this thread so forgive me if somebody else already made this point.

In the Spurrier era, our facilities were better than FSU or Miami until FSU used taxpayer dollars to cement in that erector set and built Reynolds Hall (as in Burt Reynolds). We kept up with Springs and Keys. FSU didn't even have a hoops facility. They played at the Leon County Civic Center (still do). Miami doesn't have it's own football stadium (still don't).

We had a hiccup with the Zook era but then we got Urban. That's when the facilities arms race began. In many ways, we are a victim of Urban's (and Billy's) success.

Schools desperate to compete with us spent lavishly on jumbotrons, "athletic" dorms, dining facilities, locker rooms, training facilities, etc.

They were trying to compete with us. We didn't need to spend money on that stuff. We were FLORIDA. We had the weather, the stadium, the coeds, the best coachs in the country, the best teams in the country. Why blow cash on football Taj Mahal when we had Urban and Billy bringing in the best recruits and winning national championships? Gainesville was titletown. We were better than 'Bama at football and better than Kentucky at basketball. Oh, we did a few things. We remodeled the inside of the O-Dome a bit, built Urban a new "front door" for the stadium, little stuff.

Drunk with on-field and on-court success, we forgot how easy it was to fall from the top. Then we fell from the top. We plummeted. Oh, and something really bad happened to the economy in 2008.

We figured we'd be back right away. Just an off year or two. No need to panic and spend millions. We were still FLORIDA. Muschamp delivered a 12 win season and a BCS bowl. Donovan got some top recruits and made a Final Four run in 2014. Everything was going to be OK. No need to panic. Money was really tight all of a sudden so let's not do anything rash to compete with Mississippi State or South Carolina.

Then the damn bottom fell out.

'Bama is the team of the decade in football. Kentucky is the team of the decade in basketball. We're sniffing around the NIT and getting beat by GA Southern. And now FSU has better facilities. And the whole SEC has better facilities. And Clemson has better facilities. And those teams are playing for national championships.

We got too arrogant. Too complacent. We forgot the lessons Charley Pell taught us when he took over a Florida team with terrible facilities and upgraded them to make us competitive and (in part) usher in the success of the Spurrier era.

We rested on our laurels and figured we didn't have to compete. We were wrong. Now we need to shift this thing into high gear. I'd build a giant resort-style pool somewhere between Springs and Keys. Put in a damn lazy river and a couple of giant water slides, bunch of hot tubs, the whole bit. I'd build a new movie theater too. Forget matching what 'Bama did or Clemson did...we do them one better. **** them.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator