Facilities Project Delayed One Year

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
"We're not getting into an arms race...." - GOAT AD Jeremy Foley (sometime near the beginning of the lost decade of UF football)

I really wish the title was, "Mullen to push date of facilities up". In the meantime, the recruits can check out the great pictures of the future facilities that may - or may not - be done in 2021.

Mullen ready to push his vision for UF's facilities through

https://247sports.com/college/flori...s-vision-for-UFs-facilities-through-118728922

PENSACOLA, Fla. -- Florida's product on the field has lagged behind many of its SEC peers, but it's not just one the field where the Gators have fallen behind.

There's a ton of work to be done after a relatively passive last 10 years in terms of football facilities at UF. The Gators haven't done anything major since the construction of the Heavener Complex in 2008, with only a west concourse stadium renovation, some upgrades to the video boards and various other aesthetic features in the Swamp and the completion of a $25 million renovation to the academic center.

Simply put, Florida fell way behind.

"I think the one big thing is in the last 10 years, look, all the other schools (in the state of Florida) are great but us being in the premier conference in all of college football, we're the only school in the state in the Southeastern Conference," Mullen said Wednesday in Pensacola.

"You really start looking at those (SEC) schools and the facilities they've built and the investments they've put into the program and how they've tried to look into the future and have a great vision of what they want to build for the future."

The Gators are already working hard to catch up. Already athletics director Scott Stricklin and his staff overhauled some original plans to build a stand-alone football facility along with renovations to the baseball and softball stadiums in favor of a more comprehensive fix.

Instead, Florida will spend $130 million on those projects, with the jump in cost coming mostly from the construction of a brand new baseball stadium. Moving the stadium across campus will allow much more space for the stand-alone football facility to be built the right way.

And Stricklin and Mullen don't plan to stop when that project is done some time in 2021. They're already discussing ways to revamp the Swamp to make it a more modern and comfortable venue.

"I think that's one thing that we've got to make sure that we are doing," Mullen said. "To me, it's not just catching up in facilities, it's as we go and build them as we go, what is our vision of the future and how do we maybe not just catch up in facilities to some other SEC schools but make sure we're passing them?"

Mullen's been pretty frank so far about where the Gators' facilities stand, but he's done it in much less of a scorched-earth style than when Jim McElwain took over and publicly blasted the team's facilities upon arrival.

That created a rift with the administration early on in McElwain's tenure. There's no such issue with Mullen, who worked with Stricklin at Mississippi State.

"In some areas we're ahead and in some areas we're behind when it comes to facilities," Mullen said. "But to me, at the University of Florida, we expect to be ahead in everything. That's one of the things we need to do with having great vision moving forward.

"I think, one, I think we worked together to build a program at Mississippi State that I think saw the future and we were able to go to heights that the program's never been to before."

The goal is to do the same at Florida.

It won't happen overnight, but Mullen has been around the block. He's got almost as much head coaching experience (nine years) as Steve Spurrier, Ron Zook, Urban Meyer, Will Muschamp and Jim McElwain had combined before they took over the Florida program (10 years).

He knows how to push forward a vision and see it through to realization.

"I think the comfort level of working together, obviously it's going to be different because every school is unique," Mullen said. "How we're going to do it at Florida, there's going to be similarities and there's going to be differences. But I think the comfort level that we've worked together to do it, that helps.

"When (Stricklin) comes to me with an idea and I go to him with an idea, there's a history of us... 'we can do this, we need to do this, what about this?' We've worked very closely together to build a successful program, so I think there's that comfort level instead of -- there's a lot less questioning of why we want to do this than maybe if we didn't have that connection shared."

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Sadly by the time this is complete, the big boys will be further enhancing their already superior facilities. We’ll still likely be behind most big time programs. We need to at least have the best in the state, but I just question the administrations commitment to do that. How many AD’s have single handily sunk their football program the way Foley has?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
images

Cousin Eddie's idea of the facilities.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
2021 wont help for a couple of years but at least they are doing it finally.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
It is mind-boggling to think of how far we've fallen... could you even imagine the situation we are now in just 10 years ago? It is almost as if Foley hired people with the intent to purposely crush this program. If Muschamp or Mac actually intended to destroy everything about the Gators football brand, I don't think they could have been more successful in their attempts.

The three of them should be charged with conspiracy and fraud.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It is mind-boggling to think of how far we've fallen... could you even imagine the situation we are now in just 10 years ago? It is almost as if Foley hired people with the intent to purposely crush this program. If Muschamp or Mac actually intended to destroy everything about the Gators football brand, I don't think they could have been more successful in their attempts.

The three of them should be charged with conspiracy and fraud.

As someone who is considered by many (especially the sunshine pumpers) to be "great", you would think that Foley would have known what was happening in college football. From facilities to coaches salaries, he completely sh*t the bed on our football program. His refusal to 'get into an arms race' and failing to pay the going rate for assistant coaches has put us right where we sit; a middling football program, on par (or behind) Miss State, South Carolina,Texas A&M, NC State, Missouri, Va Tech, and many, many more.

When a school plays at another school, say UF at Auburn or UF at Alabama (in any sport) the AD often travels w/ the team and pays a visit to the opposing schools AD to shake hands and - basically - BS about certain things. All he had to do was open his eyes. "You're building THIS?!?!" But he probably showed off the trophy room at BHG, "Isn't this All-Sports trophy awesome!?"

It's pathetic. And yet, some pumpers will run a thread to 15 or more pages arguing to the bitter end how great he is/was and it was all a part of his grand plan....

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, but this horse ain't even close to dead. It will be dead in 2021 or 2022, whenever the hell they get these facilities built.
Nothing personal, just don’t see the point in bitching about something that is done. There’s no magic wand to wave, the issue is being addressed but it won’t happen overnight.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is mind-boggling to think of how far we've fallen... could you even imagine the situation we are now in just 10 years ago? It is almost as if Foley hired people with the intent to purposely crush this program. If Muschamp or Mac actually intended to destroy everything about the Gators football brand, I don't think they could have been more successful in their attempts..
The facilities arent the job of the HBC.

This is solely and squarely on the Slumlord.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing personal, just don’t see the point in *****ing about something that is done. There’s no magic wand to wave, the issue is being addressed but it won’t happen overnight.

But, just think of how many future threads about it we have to look forward to.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing personal, just don’t see the point in *****ing about something that is done. There’s no magic wand to wave, the issue is being addressed but it won’t happen overnight.
Did you ever consider another hobby? Maybe forums just arent your thing. What else do you think we would be talking about in June?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Did you ever consider another hobby? Maybe forums just arent your thing. What else do you think we would be talking about in June?
Didn't ask me, but I was hoping that I was wrong about Mullen's recruiting and in June we would be talking about all of our fantastic commits for the next class.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
As someone who is considered by many (especially the sunshine pumpers) to be "great", you would think that Foley would have known what was happening in college football. From facilities to coaches salaries, he completely sh*t the bed on our football program. His refusal to 'get into an arms race' and failing to pay the going rate for assistant coaches has put us right where we sit; a middling football program, on par (or behind) Miss State, South Carolina,Texas A&M, NC State, Missouri, Va Tech, and many, many more.

When a school plays at another school, say UF at Auburn or UF at Alabama (in any sport) the AD often travels w/ the team and pays a visit to the opposing schools AD to shake hands and - basically - BS about certain things. All he had to do was open his eyes. "You're building THIS?!?!" But he probably showed off the trophy room at BHG, "Isn't this All-Sports trophy awesome!?"

It's pathetic. And yet, some pumpers will run a thread to 15 or more pages arguing to the bitter end how great he is/was and it was all a part of his grand plan....

Debt free baby!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Baseball stadium completion date pushed to June 2020, no mention of how this affects the football facility....but it's not hard to do the math:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, but this horse ain't even close to dead. It will be dead in 2021 or 2022, whenever the hell they get these facilities built.
I will kiss the arsehole of the nearest oxen if they are done by 2021.

They still dont even have the plans and havent moved a goddamn shovel full of dirt a year and a half later.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Baseball stadium completion date pushed to June 2020, no mention of how this affects the football facility....but it's not hard to do the math:

Exactly....

The gd BASEBALL field wont even be done by 2021.

These worthless cocksuckers. Fooleyites still infest the ADO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.