Best Posts in Thread: Family pet thread

1. Blacklabgator

Blacklabgator Lurking Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,815
    Ratings:
    +4,169 / -80
    The car thread got me thinking about how much you can learn about other posters by the cars they have or have had in the past. And since I just got a new hunting partner I thought this thread might be a good one.

IMG_3006.JPG

My new lab.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator Well-Known Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $13,214
      Ratings:
      +21,448 / -159
      F*ck this thread... it's just a trap to make a grown man all mushy!

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $13,654
        Ratings:
        +24,642 / -486
        Meet The Nugz. The funniest looking one of our four dogs.
        [​IMG]

• CaseyGator

CaseyGator Ox’s Favorite Poster
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,450
          Ratings:
          +1,743 / -18
          This was my little girl. Had her 13 years ever since she was 8 weeks old, but had to put her down a few months ago. She actually did look like an Ewok.

80B40F2E-91B2-480D-AAAA-E7431C8DD0AF.jpeg

#20 CaseyGator, Jul 6, 2018
          Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
          • crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $4,791
            Ratings:
            +12,131 / -83
            This is Peanut. We adopted Peanut because she was an older dog and they aren't always so lucky finding homes. She was aloof and had a lot of heavy calluses on the sides of her feet as though she spent a lot of time on concrete. The calluses are mostly gone now. She and Bear are really close and she has adapted well to her new life. They both hate Mike the Mailman.
            [​IMG]

#19 crosscreekcooter, Jun 30, 2018
            Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
            • NVGator

NVGator Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $8,823
              Ratings:
              +13,915 / -650
              This is Zuma (Left) and Pismo (Right) Pismo was my our first dog when my wife and I started dating. We were living in NYC and came to visit her Mom in California on vacation. I had to have him when we saw him as a puppy. He was the goofiest looking puppy I’d ever seen. He was a Boxer/Lab mix. He’s probably about 7-8 in this pic. He was our first child. He road cross country with us in our U-Haul when we moved west. A real trooper. He was our ring bearer in our wedding. We had to put him down when he was about 13 We still have his run of ashes.

Zuma, in this pic, was just about 1 1/2. She LOVED her some Pismo. We also adopted her and she’s a Mcnab. She wouldn’t leave Pismo’s side for nothing. She wore him out. Zuma still lives with us today. She’s almost 14 and has never been the same since losing Pismo. That was 7 years ago. I still get emotional thinking about him, even typing this.

84423377-E5E9-4B2C-93D9-208BD26A942F.jpeg

• cover2

cover2 I've grown old
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $8,322
                Ratings:
                +12,895 / -26
                Have enjoyed seeing the photos and reading some of the stories about the dogs, even if they conjure up many emotions. That alone should be testament to just how important a part of our lives that dogs (and other pets) can be. I read one time that if a man had one good dog in his lifetime, he was ahead of the curve. I've been lucky enough to have three or four. My first lab, "Deuce," was the runt of her litter and the owner gave her to me because he couldn't sell her (and as a poor college student, I didn't have $200 to pay at the time). She turned out to be more than I ever could have imagined. I shot doves about every Saturday during the seasons back then (1980's) and she was my hunting partner. Not a field trial dog, but she was a cracker jack retriever, easy to train, and was an even better companion. Started taking her duck hunting and she was a natural in the water. We lived behind our family dentist's office back then. He was a hunter and I'd let him take Deuce with him from time to time. He eventually offered me a good sum of money for her, but I wouldn't have taken a million dollars for her. She had one litter of pups and raised all ten of them. Best mama dog I ever saw. She had more care and concern for those pups (and for me and my family) than a lot of the humans I know could muster. She went everywhere I did and got along with everybody. As good a friend as I ever had.

I had her six years when she got sick. Stopped eating and whined in pain if she had to move about too much. First noticed something being wrong when she labored on a duck retrieve. One of my quail hunting buddies was the vet in town and when I took her to see him, he came out in the waiting room after examining her with a long face. She had a cancer, advanced, and although he could keep her comfortable temporarily, the ordeal she would have to go through would be just terrible. The selfish part of me wanted to try and keep her going, but I soon realized that it would be an injustice to subject her to the pains of the treatments that would really only prolong her suffering. I remember looking into her eyes as I petted her and talked to her for the last time. She seemed to say with her look that "It'll be alright, we've had a pretty good run and I'll soon be in a better place. Just don't forget me!" And I haven't.

We've had several dogs since, but she was head and shoulders above. Our Brittany that we have now, "Gunner," isn't much of hunter, but is a great companion and has a very human personality. The neatest thing about dogs is that they will usually give back to you as much or more than you give to them and will love you unconditionally. We can learn a lot about ourselves through our relationships with them and as painful as it is when they leave us, I can't imagine not having one or two as part of our family.

Sorry to run on, but this thread hit a soft spot for me! I appreciate all who have shared.

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $22,154
                  Ratings:
                  +33,806 / -291
                  Saw this earlier this week and wanted to chime in for my boy. Have a girl as well on the left that I inherited with the marriage. But lost my boy, Romeo(right) in Feb. Damn how tough it still is to type that.

upload_2020-6-6_22-51-23.jpeg
                  upload_2020-6-6_22-53-21.jpeg

• crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $4,791
                    Ratings:
                    +12,131 / -83
                    This is Bear. He's 8 years old. When he goes, they will have to put me down as well.

[​IMG]

• Gator By Marriage

Gator By Marriage A convert to Gatorism
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $11,458
                      Ratings:
                      +13,227 / -210
                      Our new Lab. We picked her up today. Couple of days past 8 weeks and just under 12 lbs.
                      upload_2021-2-23_16-56-7.jpeg

• gingerlover

gingerlover Junior Member
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $1,862
                        Ratings:
                        +2,935 / -21
                        upload_2020-6-3_16-18-39.jpeg

First I would like to offer my condolences to those of you who recently lost a pet. It sucks and you guys are in my heart right now especially.

Today we said goodby to our beagle Cheerio. We agreed to foster him when he was around 1 years old and him and our at the time two year old (now 7) immediate bonded and we knew it was an adoption instead. His name came from our two year old and his favorite snack at the time. He was a stray and in recent years due to some marking of older dogs his age came into question. We thought around 8, but he may have been older. Last December we took him in for what we thought was a bad tooth and it turned out he had an aggressive form of cancer growing in his soft pallet. We explored all of our options, but none gave us any bright outlook other than buying a few extra months. He made it the six that were predicted. Through the whole time he continued on just like as before with no signs of slowing down outside of appetite. Once he went two days without being able to eat we had to make the decision and make the tough choice. He was an awesome dog that acted far more like our lab than any beagle I have known before. He will be greeted by his sister Ellie who we lost last May.

Before meeting my wife I never paid attention to the whole mythology of Cardinals and them being lost loved ones checking in on you until Ellie past last year. Every time we see one my son points out that Ellie is here. Today at the vets we had to do everything outside due to the COVID issues of not having more than one person present indoors. Perched on a tree above us was a cardinal. As soon as it was over it flew away. Seems like she carried Cheerio home.

• Gator By Marriage

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $11,458
                          Ratings:
                          +13,227 / -210
                          RIP Onyx. 05/25/07 - 05/12/20
                          One damn fine dog.

One of the last photos I took about a month ago.
                          upload_2020-5-12_23-3-44.jpeg

• NVGator

NVGator Member
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $8,823
                            Ratings:
                            +13,915 / -650
                            Shared story...

Our 14-year-old dog Abbey died last month. The day after she passed away my 4-year-old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so, and she dictated these words:

Dear God,

Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.

I hope you will play with her. She likes to swim and play with balls. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.

Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letterbox at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page were the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help and I recognized her right away.

Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by.

Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I'm easy to find. I am wherever there is love.

Love, God

32A45CF5-98A6-467E-9265-EC36C82E0DC0.jpeg

• G8trwood

G8trwood Well-Known Member
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $2,323
                              Ratings:
                              +3,285 / -119
                              1AFEE0F0-A0DA-48FE-8BEA-428955D1B659.jpeg
                              old guy (12j worn out from his trip to the vet. His growths tested negative.

• Gator By Marriage

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $11,458
                                Ratings:
                                +13,227 / -210
                                Amazing how one’s definition of a successful day can change according to circumstances. Now a successful day is one where the puppy falls asleep while playing with a chew toy and turns it into a pillow.

upload_2021-3-26_19-19-28.jpeg

• Gator by the Sea

Gator by the Sea Well-Known Member
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $1,201
                                  Ratings:
                                  +1,659 / -8
                                  077A9F34-404F-4665-A01C-602E533056A1.jpeg
                                  one of my shelties has figured out how to use the cat door

• TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $5,962
                                    Ratings:
                                    +10,065 / -293
                                    2343.jpeg 23993.jpeg IMG_20170205_181045.jpg Yesterday afternoon, our oldest girl died (16 years old) in our backyard. She had already been struggling so we only let her out for 10 minutes at a time, but she laid down in her favorite spot to get sun, and stopped breathing.

• NVGator

NVGator Member
                                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $8,823
                                      Ratings:
                                      +13,915 / -650
                                      54825337-EB9D-4C7F-B087-BBFB55A98D67.jpeg

• GatorRaz

GatorRaz Trask for Heisman

Oxbucks:
                                        $446
                                        Ratings:
                                        +977 / -14
                                        IMG_20181001_190931833_HDR.jpg
                                        This is Triton. We lost him last night. He was 11 1/2 years old and loved to watch Gator games w' me on the back porch. Worlds best wide retriever! We love him so much!
                                        Go Gators!

• MidwestChomp

MidwestChomp Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
                                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                          $5,000
                                          Ratings:
                                          +11,018 / -57
                                          IMG_7211.JPG IMG_7215.JPG

This is Mya and Lady or Ladybug. We adopted them from Puppy hill Farm in Gainesville. Mya we adopted in 2006 and Lady was actually our foster dog for 6 months and we adopted her in 2008. Little to our knowledge, Lady made up her mind where she wanted to be.

They are still kicking, but old as dirt. We think Mya could be as old as 16 and Lady as old as 14, which is old for 50 lb mutts. Mya has cataracts now and had a stroke a few months ago, but she's doing just fine for an old old dog. They have turned out to be the best dogs and are great with our girls. We don't have much time left with them unfortunately, but they have been amazing.

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                                              • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                                              • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.