Family pet thread

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
4199.jpeg

Lost this kitty July '22... cancer. She was 15. Stepped on her foot, thought I broke it, found out I broke open a cancer growth, which was hidden between her toes, which was from the lung cancer that had already taken hold.

But found a great vet for Cats in Gainesville with All Cats. Will not take a cat anywhere else.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
View attachment 64013

Lost this kitty July '22... cancer. She was 15. Stepped on her foot, thought I broke it, found out I broke open a cancer growth, which was hidden between her toes, which was from the lung cancer that had already taken hold.

But found a great vet for Cats in Gainesville with All Cats. Will not take a cat anywhere else.

Sorry for the loss. Looks like a sweetheart.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Great thread.....growing up I was a fan of Sesame Street so we named our golden retrievers Bert, Ernie, Elmo, Oscar, and Grover....all of them were great dogs...then my parents adopted a rescue mix chow type and we named him Max...lived a great life to 14/15 yo...had to send him to heaven in August 2014...from that point until Feb 2015 when we got our current dog, it was eerily quiet around the house...first time my whole life there wasn't at least one dog in the house...

Anyway, this is Hershey....just turned 9 last weekend and still going strong....spoiled rotten, rules the roost

1000004187.jpg

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
True, I hate to see when a family abandons a family pet. They can cope without the pet but the pet can't cut it without them normally.

My eyes literally well up with anger when I hear those stories...people are just so cold and callous with animals....the excuse of "we don't have enough room in the house with a newborn" or the "baby and the dog don't get along" is overplayed IMO

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Still tough at certain times of the day when passing by the places in the house where she used to lay waiting for me....just feels off. The burial spot is good though since it's next to the screen door which I always walk out to and lock at night. Gives me a chance to say goodnight.

All this over a cat but it's opened my eyes to being there more for my Mom who is 88 next month and other than calling once a week and visiting 2-3 times a year despite only living a half hour apart....gotta change that and stop taking things for granted.

I would give anything to see my Mom again...it will be a year on Dec 2 so tomorrow is our first Thanksgiving without her....point being yes, never take days or people for granted

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
True, I hate to see when a family abandons a family pet. They can cope without the pet but the pet can't cut it without them normally.

Basing on this comment thought it would be a good place to introduce our new pup..... She was found tied up behind a Wal-Mart in Gainesville. People waited over an hour with announcements over the intercom to find the owner. She was dropped off at Animal Serivices. We picked her up on Thursday after she was medically cleared... This is our new addition Ruby.

31435.jpeg

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I may have mentioned elsewhere that we have a new puppy. He is 18 months, but was being bullied by an alpha male French bulldog in his original home. His prior owner is a mentor of mine and he was looking for a good home for Olaf and all he was getting for replies were links to rescue operations.

He is settling in here and our soon to be 12 year old chocolate lab seems to be getting along with him so well. She is easy and likes to play some, but he likes to play a lot, so she has to let him know when she is done.

He is a cuddler, so it is difficult sometimes to back him off...especially at night when he refuses to stay on his bed on the floor.

17570.jpeg

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The newest member of our Family, Toby. We lost our American Bulldog in August and all of us had the itch. Went through talks with multiple shelters and rescues regarding certain dogs. This one came up two weeks ago, was in a short term foster, but after an adoption event was going to be going back to the shelter and was on the kill list for the following week. We met him at an adoption event and all of us immediately fell in love, especially the kids. Two weeks in and he is amazing so far. Has trust issues with people still, but great with all the kids we have met on walks. Big time snuggle bug.
409205254_10105752061904203_6921787179300396542_n.jpg

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
found out I broke open a cancer growth, which was hidden between her toes, which was from the lung cancer that had already taken hold.
That sounds a lot like what happened to our cat a while back. At first we thought she had something stuck or perhaps a cut between her toes.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I may have mentioned elsewhere that we have a new puppy. He is 18 months, but was being bullied by an alpha male French bulldog in his original home. His prior owner is a mentor of mine and he was looking for a good home for Olaf and all he was getting for replies were links to rescue operations.

He is settling in here and our soon to be 12 year old chocolate lab seems to be getting along with him so well. She is easy and likes to play some, but he likes to play a lot, so she has to let him know when she is done.

He is a cuddler, so it is difficult sometimes to back him off...especially at night when he refuses to stay on his bed on the floor.

View attachment 65396
Definitely a lap dog. He’s not nearly as big as he looks.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The newest member of our Family, Toby. We lost our American Bulldog in August and all of us had the itch. Went through talks with multiple shelters and rescues regarding certain dogs. This one came up two weeks ago, was in a short term foster, but after an adoption event was going to be going back to the shelter and was on the kill list for the following week. We met him at an adoption event and all of us immediately fell in love, especially the kids. Two weeks in and he is amazing so far. Has trust issues with people still, but great with all the kids we have met on walks. Big time snuggle bug.
View attachment 65812
Cutie. Any idea about how old? We’ve adopted just about every dog we’ve had. Some of them just never get over being skittish. It’s sad cause you just can’t imagine what they’ve been through.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Cutie. Any idea about how old? We’ve adopted just about every dog we’ve had. Some of them just never get over being skittish. It’s sad cause you just can’t imagine what they’ve been through.
They think around 3-4, but we think maybe slightly younger. We have typically gone older 6+, but the last one was the first one to really hit our oldest really hard. I think our American Bulldog was 11 when we got him so we wanted something they would both have around a little longer as we have lost 4 dogs since 2019. We rescue all of ours as well either through facebook groups or shelter.

He's getting better, but outside of us four he muffs a lot (with tail wagging) at everyone else so far. One of our older neighbors sits outside most of the day and keeps treats in his garage for all the dogs. He's been warming up to him very well, but if you just ignore him he eventually calms down. We took him for the day to our in-laws and he did well there, but was never fully calm (not his house and to many roaming cats outside).

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They think around 3-4, but we think maybe slightly younger. We have typically gone older 6+, but the last one was the first one to really hit our oldest really hard. I think our American Bulldog was 11 when we got him so we wanted something they would both have around a little longer as we have lost 4 dogs since 2019. We rescue all of ours as well either through facebook groups or shelter.

He's getting better, but outside of us four he muffs a lot (with tail wagging) at everyone else so far. One of our older neighbors sits outside most of the day and keeps treats in his garage for all the dogs. He's been warming up to him very well, but if you just ignore him he eventually calms down. We took him for the day to our in-laws and he did well there, but was never fully calm (not his house and to many roaming cats outside).
You’re a good man and raising a good family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator