Family pet thread

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I had a Weimaraner years ago that came running up with an empty package of rat poison from someone’s house. I didn’t take any chances and took him to the vet. Worst dog ever.

We also had a Weimaraner - she was probably our best dog ever. Very chill and not a troublemaker... which is unusual for that breed.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Well, this happened yesterday. Her name is Whiskey.

Cutie pie...

Full name - Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Or just Whiskey?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Just got home from the vet. The little chihuahua on the left has lost a lot of weight recently. They discovered she has a grade 4 heart murmur out of a 5. They didn’t detect it last year. Doesn’t explain the weight loss so they are doing blood work to check her kidneys. We found her out on our farm about 12 years ago. Sucks. She’s lived a great life but it doesn’t sound good for the long term.

8F5C7362-6690-40AD-9161-E9E2CADE0A58.jpeg

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just got home from the vet. The little chihuahua on the left has lost a lot of weight recently. They discovered she has a grade 4 heart murmur out of a 5. They didn’t detect it last year. Doesn’t explain the weight loss so they are doing blood work to check her kidneys. We found her out on our farm about 12 years ago. Sucks. She’s lived a great life but it doesn’t sound good for the long term.

Sending happy thoughts your way.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Welp today was the end for my MIL's 19 year old Persian cat. As far as cats go I'm kinda indifferent. I don't hate them(most of the time) but I don't go out of the way to give them any attention either unless they come to me for attention. I don't mind giving them a pet or 2 as long as they don't bother me.

This particular cat is(was) 1 of 3 and was the MIL's favorite. He never left her side when she was home. She began asking me a week ago if I would come look to see if he was still alive. So everyday for the last 8 days I've gone over and turned the light on in the closet where she has been keeping him comfortable(he wasn't able to get around on his own for nearly 10 days now)....Everytime I would go see him I'd reach over and touch his whiskers and he would lift his head and look at me.....On and on this went until today when I came home and she was crying saying he wouldn't eat anymore(she had been hand feeding him for the last week or so).

I put down my keys and phone went into the closet and turned the light on. There he was rolled over on his side(bloated abdomen) with his eyes open and looking right at me....dead. So I called my wife who was just leaving the office and told her what happened and if she would grab a box. Then began the ritual of my 6th cat burial.

Most of the other ones went on the South side of the house under or around a Ligustrum tree. This time the MIL wanted her cat buried outside the bay window in her room. I agreed and after hitting some irrigation lines and heavy tree roots I dug a fine hole and placed the cats coffin in a position where he would be looking into the bay window, cover the box with a little dirt, then somes rocks I had leftover, then some weedguard and finally the rest of the dirt...raked the top level then took a tamp and packed the dirt tight before raking all of the mulch(it was in a mulched plant bed)

When I was done you couldn't tell what I had done in the least bit. I put my shovel, rake, gloves and tamp back in the cottage, grabbed 2 beers and went to get in the pool. When I got to the french doors that lead to the pool from the living room I noticed one of the other cats, standing by the door and acting like she wanted to go out. She is now 11-12 years old and rarely wants to go outside anymore but I opened the door and out she went.(inside the pool enclosure)

She never stopped once to sniff or look around at the sounds of the birds and lizards like she used when she went outside before. Instead she went straight to the screendoor which is no more than about 6-8 feet from where I had just buried the other cat and sat looking directly at the spot where I had just buried him. She never broke her stare for the next 8-10 minutes until she turned, looked at me, meowed and went straight back to the french door...

There is no way she could have seen me bury the other cat as my MIL's bay window had the shades pulled down the entire time. There is also no other viewpoint where she could have seen me doing it.
Crazy I know but she knew...how? I have no idea but she knew.

Last edited:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Welp today was the end for my MIL's 19 year old Persian cat. As far as cats go I'm kinda indifferent. I don't hate them(most of the time) but I don't go out of the way to give them any attention either unless they come to me for attention. I don't mind giving them a pet or 2 as long as they don't bother me.

This particular cat is(was) 1 of 3 and was the MIL's favorite. He never left her side when she was home. She began asking me a week ago if I would come look to see if he was still alive. So everyday for the last 8 days I've gone over and turned the light on in the closet where she has been keeping him comfortable(he wasn't able to get around on his own for nearly 10 days now)....Everytime I would go see him I'd reach over and touch his whiskers and he would lift his head and look at me.....On and on this went until today when I came home and she was crying saying he wouldn't eat anymore(she had been hand feeding him for the last week or so).

I put down my keys and phone went into the closet and turned the light on. There he was rolled over on his side(bloated abdomen) with his eyes open and looking right at me....dead. So I called my wife who was just leaving the office and told her what happened and if she would grab a box. Then began the ritual of my 6th cat burial.

Most of the other ones went on the South side of the house under or around a Ligustrum tree. This time the MIL wanted her cat buried outside the bay window in her room. I agreed and after hitting some irrigation lines and heavy tree roots I dug a fine hole and placed the cats coffin in a position where he would be looking into the bay window, cover the box with a little dirt, then somes rocks I had leftover, then some weedguard and finally the rest of the dirt...raked the top level then took a tamp and packed the dirt tight before raking all of the mulch(it was in a mulched plant bed)

When I was done you couldn't tell what I had done in the least bit. I put my shovel, rake, gloves and tamp back in the cottage, grabbed 2 beers and went to get in the pool. When I got to the french doors that lead to the pool from the living room I noticed one of the other cats, standing by the door and acting like she wanted to go out. She is now 11-12 years old and rarely wants to go outside anymore but I opened the door and out she went.(inside the pool enclosure)

She never stopped once to sniff or look around at the sounds of the birds and lizards like she used when she went outside before. Instead she went straight to the screendoor which is no more than about 6-8 feet from where I had just buried the other cat and sat looking directly at the spot where I had just buried him. She never broke her stare for the next 8-10 minutes until she turned, looked at me, meowed and went straight back to the french door...

There is no way she could have seen me bury the other cat as my MIL's bay window had the shades pulled down the entire time. There is also no other viewpoint where she could have seen me doing it.
Crazy I know but she knew...how? I have no idea but she knew.
Guess a short answer will work here.........the cat can still smell.......

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Guess a short answer will work here.........the cat can still smell.......
No chance Gramps....the dead cat wasn't dead enough to stink, in fact not even stiff and to be 100% honest he may have still been breathing a little....

Besides I almost hit water I dug the hole so deep(maybe 3.5 feet) then tamped, raked and re mulched with semi new pine bark nugget mulch(still had the smell) for the very reason you mentioned. We have racoons, Opossum's and sometimes other strays come around from time to time and the last thing I was going to deal with on Easter morning was Grannies dead cat doing a Resurrection scene where my Grandkids would have been looking for their Easter eggs...thanks to getting dug up by something.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Just got home from the vet. It was an annual visit but I went in 3 months early because one dog (7?) developed a cough in the last month.
The other dog is about 15 and was diagnosed with a severe heart murmur last visit. She doesn't eat well and is now just under 4lbs. Now they both have severe heart murmurs. The vet said it's a little dog issue. This sounds expensive. :facepalm:

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
Got this guy from Great Plains Basset Rescue las month.

Attachments

• IMG_20221015_153431553_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221015_153431553_HDR.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 5

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Damn looks just like my GS Schultzie from years past. I had her along with my 145# male Rottweiler(German Blockhead) Rockwald. What a pair and both loved to ride with me inside my truck. The Rott would ride shotgun and actually let me put the seatbelt around him and a pair of shades on his head. Best damned companions a guy could have most of the time and they were the definition of a "F cvk around and find out security system" too.
Both were super intelligent and affectionate to boot.

About the only downsides was the hair, GS undercoat made giving her a bath a pain in the ass and the undercoat needed constant brushing, and of course the fact that large dog breeds often sh!t like a Horse requiring clean up and watchful steps in the backyard.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Damn looks just like my GS Schultzie from years past. I had her along with my 145# male Rottweiler(German Blockhead) Rockwald. What a pair and both loved to ride with me inside my truck. The Rott would ride shotgun and actually let me put the seatbelt around him and a pair of shades on his head. Best damned companions a guy could have most of the time and they were the definition of a "F cvk around and find out security system" too.
Both were super intelligent and affectionate to boot.

About the only downsides was the hair, GS undercoat made giving her a bath a pain in the ass and the undercoat needed constant brushing, and of course the fact that large dog breeds often sh!t like a Horse requiring clean up and watchful steps in the backyard.
All of those things about GSDs and large dogs are very true. The hair... Good lord... The hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.