Family pet thread

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We had to say goodbye to Hagan yesterday.

The Vandoliers were on the Outlaw Cruise last week. The lead vocalist Josh said he wrote Howlin' about his dog. So I am borrowing it.

06b6e52bbad09373d64801c4cb981e41.jpg
7773943c6c4ecb77e64536005fbc1adf.jpg

Sorry to hear about that.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Oddly, I've cried more over my dogs than any human I've ever lost. Granted, I haven't endured the loss of my parents yet nor any other nuclear family members too soon. But when I lost my grandparents and miscellaneous young friends along the way, I was stoic as could be. Get me thinking about either Lab I lost in 2006 or 2018, and I lose it. Something about that unconditional love and joy. Our dogs are truly special.
Same here. I lost my Dad in 2013 but he had been in a nursing home for 6 years and unable to speak due to the effects of a massive stroke. I knew in my heart he wanted to be gone long before that as he would rip out his feeding tube but my Mom just couldn't let go.

This thread always reminds me of losing my Rott and Sheppard about 4 months apart in 2004. For some reason I kept their bowls and put them in the attic. Years later when I was cleaning out the house to rent I found them and just lost it.....I still keep pictues of them on my mantle to this day.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Same here. I lost my Dad in 2013 but he had been in a nursing home for 6 years and unable to speak due to the effects of a massive stroke. I knew in my heart he wanted to be gone long before that as he would rip out his feeding tube but my Mom just couldn't let go.

This thread always reminds me of losing my Rott and Sheppard about 4 months apart in 2004. For some reason I kept their bowls and put them in the attic. Years later when I was cleaning out the house to rent I found them and just lost it.....I still keep pictues of them on my mantle to this day.

I remember coming home from a business trip one day and seeing a Weimeraner puppy that wasn't there when I left a few days earlier.
Not really happy I wasn't consulted, but the kids were excited so... what the heck.

Fast forward 14 years later and Dad totally lost it when we had to put her down. Took it harder than the rest of the family for the dog "I didn't want".

Silvie.JPG

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I remember coming home from a business trip one day and seeing a Weimeraner puppy that wasn't there when I left a few days earlier.
Not really happy I wasn't consulted, but the kids were excited so... what the heck.

Fast forward 14 years later and Dad totally lost it when we had to put her down. Took it harder than the rest of the family for the dog "I didn't want".

View attachment 56044
Great breed and a fine looking dog - other than that ridiculous overcoat of course. Pretty sure a breed that originated in Germany can handle a little cold and snow.

In the interest of full disclosure, whenever our Lab whines, someone in the family is sure to say, “Stop being such a whiner-amer!”

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Great breed and a fine looking dog - other than that ridiculous overcoat of course. Pretty sure a breed that originated in Germany can handle a little cold and snow.

In the interest of full disclosure, whenever our Lab whines, someone in the family is sure to say, “Stop being such a whiner-amer!”

she was much more Floridian than German. Anything below 60 and she was shivering.
not to mention that every time there was a thunderstorm we would find her cowering behind the toilet and shaking like a leaf.
and when it was bath time, she would fall over on her side and get ”extremely ill“ thinking it would get her out of taking a bath

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
she was much more Floridian than German. Anything below 60 and she was shivering.
not to mention that every time there was a thunderstorm we would find her cowering behind the toilet and shaking like a leaf.
and when it was bath time, she would fall over on her side and get ”extremely ill“ thinking it would get her out of taking a bath
Dogs are the best.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My granddaddy had a couple of Weimaraners when I was growing up. His first one, “Spook,” was smarter than a lot of humans. Went everywhere with my granddaddy. Wound up being a really good retriever in the bird field. It was a sad day when he passed on. His replacement, “Buddy,” looked like an identical twin and was a pretty dang good dog and companion as well. Overall, a vey good breed. Only drawback was that they could clear a room if they ever got hold of some scraps. Then they’d look at you like “What?”

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We had a Weimaraner. They are gorgeous dogs. Ours had behavioral issues and was very territorial with his toys and food. Aggressive and bit me a few times. Probably unusual for the breed but he was by far our worst dog ever. Everyone that has them loves them but we had a lemon.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We had a Weimaraner. They are gorgeous dogs. Ours had behavioral issues and was very territorial with his toys and food. Aggressive and bit me a few times. Probably unusual for the breed but he was by far our worst dog ever. Everyone that has them loves them but we had a lemon.
He’d probably heard about those Tallahassee womens.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
My granddaddy had a couple of Weimaraners when I was growing up. His first one, “Spook,” was smarter than a lot of humans. Went everywhere with my granddaddy. Wound up being a really good retriever in the bird field. It was a sad day when he passed on. His replacement, “Buddy,” looked like an identical twin and was a pretty dang good dog and companion as well. Overall, a vey good breed. Only drawback was that they could clear a room if they ever got hold of some scraps. Then they’d look at you like “What?”

My lab could do that as well.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

We had heard that the breed in general was fairly hyper, so we must have lucked out with ours. She was a sweetheart and exceptional with our kids.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We lost one member of the c2 dog family this morning. Ginger was one of our two Dachshunds that we got for the kids 13 years ago. She leaves behind her twin sister BJ, her big little brother Gunner (French Brittany 9), and Kitty (who thinks she’s a dog 17). Our pets are growing old, like us.

Technically, Ginger was my daughter’s, but she stayed with us while daughter was at college and spent most days chasing lizards on the back porch, finding a lap to sit in or somebody that was a pushover to sneak her a dog treat or a nip of whatever they were having. She was a happy girl for a long time and we’ll all miss her.

I don’t know that we’ll quickly find her stand in, but we’ll have another dog or two down the line. As bad as it is when their time comes, I can’t imagine life without dogs. They take a good bit of upkeep, but what they give in return is priceless. Everyone we’ve got or ever had are/were good listeners, loved to ride, and knew just when your lap needed a dog in it or your hands needed to be scratching an ear or patting a head. Best part was that they were always glad to see you.

We’ll miss the little girl, but she had a good, long life and gave as much affection as she got.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
This is Clover. She just turn 11.

Used to hunt ducks and geese, but started getting seizures and the medicine keeps her from swimming...her favorite thing when she was young. Now, her favorite pastimes are eating (she has a greater than most labs appetite...also from the meds) and shedding!

IMG_20161030_160933034.jpg IMG_20161218_122830570.jpg VZM.IMG_20151104_133133.jpg

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
@Altitude Gator I am also a Chocolate Lab lover. I'll have to post pics of my Cali soon. Clover is beautiful! I can't imagine an appetite even greater than a typical Lab, but God bless her. Happy eating, and happy shedding, Clover!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Well reality is setting in a sad way today. We just made an appointment for Laps of Love to come to the house later this afternoon. I know we are primarily dog lovers in this thread and I prefer dogs to cats myself 99.9% of the time.

Well 11.5 years ago that 0.1% of a cat arrived at our house in the form of a Black and White smooshed face Persian kitten for my MIL who had just lost one of her favorite Persians. I'm not sure why but Penny never really settled into life with the other cats and my MIL(except at food time). Instead she would rather come sit next to me and my wife whenever we were home.

This cat has waited for me every morning next to my chair where my laptop sits and in fact has probably witnessed 3/4 of the post I've written on here. When I leave to take my son to school she is off to sit with my wife while putting on her make up and talks to the Grand kids when on speaker phone while our daughter is driving them to school by meowing whenever they call her name. When I return to the house in the afternoon she sits and watches while I work out in the garage. When my wife arrives, she follows us out back to the pool patio while we catch up and have a beer.After dinner she will sit next to me whether I come back to the laptop or sit and watch TV. She was very doglike in behavior but never begged for food.

Over the last 3 days she has become very weak and will only take baby food from the tip of my finger and water from a syringe if I am the one giving it to her. Saturday, I brought her to the living room and laid her at my feet and moved my laptop there where she was happy until I would get up to go to the bathroom or kitchen. When returning she would be about halfway to where I was coming from having tried to drag herself there.

Yesterday morning she had lost the strength to stand or walk at all so I just laid her next to me wherever I was until bedtime when I took her to my MIL's bathroom where we've been having her sleep. After returning to see her this morning my wife and I decided as hard as it is we have to do the best thing.

This will be the 5th cat I've had to bury over the last 17 years but damn this one is really tearing me up. In the meantime she's still laying right next to me staring at me and purring every time I look at her. I don't think I've ever let a animal get to me like this since my Rott passed nearly 20 years ago. Damn....

Last edited:

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Sorry to hear about your furbaby. That cat sounds very cool like I dog, so I can imagine your distress. God bless her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.