Family pet thread

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
The car thread got me thinking about how much you can learn about other posters by the cars they have or have had in the past. And since I just got a new hunting partner I thought this thread might be a good one.

IMG_3006.JPG

My new lab.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely love other people’s dogs and cats. I just dont want to own one or any of the hassle that comes with them. It helps my cause that my youngest kid breaks out it crazy hives around some cats and dogs.

We’ve tried some fish and even some hermit crabs.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Meet The Nugz. The funniest looking one of our four dogs.
6c7997ebd24ae94809b2b7d7c86e5cf5.jpg

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Love dogs and even some cats aren't too bad....but since I put down both of my dogs less than 4 month's apart I just haven't been able to get the wanting again.....I absolutely loved them like they were children(Rottweiler and German Shepard). They both lived long lives for larger breeds and even thinking about them now(12 years later) gets me emotional.....

I met my wife almost 2 years after they were gone and when we decided to move in together she helped me move some items from my house. One day when she and my stepdaughter were helping me move some stuff I went into the attic to get something. I forgot that I had put their bowls up there along with some of their toys......I friggen lost it. I mean the memories hit me like a ton of bricks and yes, I cried my eyes out for the 15 minutes or so while the 2 of them were trying to figure out what the f vck was wrong with me......:lol:

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Love dogs and even some cats aren't too bad....but since I put down both of my dogs less than 4 month's apart I just haven't been able to get the wanting again.....I absolutely loved them like they were children(Rottweiler and German Shepard). They both lived long lives for larger breeds and even thinking about them now(12 years later) gets me emotional.....

I met my wife almost 2 years after they were gone and when we decided to move in together she helped me move some items from my house. One day when she and my stepdaughter were helping me move some stuff I went into the attic to get something. I forgot that I had put their bowls up there along with some of their toys......I friggen lost it. I mean the memories hit me like a ton of bricks and yes, I cried my eyes out for the 15 minutes or so while the 2 of them were trying to figure out what the f vck was wrong with me......:lol:

We had to put down my last lab in December when he was 11. One of the toughest thing my family has gone through. Pretty much well the only dog my kids remembered. Took us til a month ago to decide to get another dog. We kicked around other breeds but went back to a lab. Only thing my daughters said was it couldn’t be a black one like the last one.
He’s got a plot in the back under a big oak with a custom tombstone and all.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here is Birdie, aka the Birddawg doing what she loves. 11 years old and hasn't lost a step. She is the OG of the pack. When she goes its going to be hell on earth around here for quite some time.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is Zuma (Left) and Pismo (Right) Pismo was my our first dog when my wife and I started dating. We were living in NYC and came to visit her Mom in California on vacation. I had to have him when we saw him as a puppy. He was the goofiest looking puppy I’d ever seen. He was a Boxer/Lab mix. He’s probably about 7-8 in this pic. He was our first child. He road cross country with us in our U-Haul when we moved west. A real trooper. He was our ring bearer in our wedding. We had to put him down when he was about 13 We still have his run of ashes.

Zuma, in this pic, was just about 1 1/2. She LOVED her some Pismo. We also adopted her and she’s a Mcnab. She wouldn’t leave Pismo’s side for nothing. She wore him out. Zuma still lives with us today. She’s almost 14 and has never been the same since losing Pismo. That was 7 years ago. I still get emotional thinking about him, even typing this.

84423377-E5E9-4B2C-93D9-208BD26A942F.jpeg

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Had dogs for my first 40+ years, but haven’t had one in almost a decade. Plan on getting my little boy a lab or golden retriever when he gets just a little older.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Have enjoyed seeing the photos and reading some of the stories about the dogs, even if they conjure up many emotions. That alone should be testament to just how important a part of our lives that dogs (and other pets) can be. I read one time that if a man had one good dog in his lifetime, he was ahead of the curve. I've been lucky enough to have three or four. My first lab, "Deuce," was the runt of her litter and the owner gave her to me because he couldn't sell her (and as a poor college student, I didn't have $200 to pay at the time). She turned out to be more than I ever could have imagined. I shot doves about every Saturday during the seasons back then (1980's) and she was my hunting partner. Not a field trial dog, but she was a cracker jack retriever, easy to train, and was an even better companion. Started taking her duck hunting and she was a natural in the water. We lived behind our family dentist's office back then. He was a hunter and I'd let him take Deuce with him from time to time. He eventually offered me a good sum of money for her, but I wouldn't have taken a million dollars for her. She had one litter of pups and raised all ten of them. Best mama dog I ever saw. She had more care and concern for those pups (and for me and my family) than a lot of the humans I know could muster. She went everywhere I did and got along with everybody. As good a friend as I ever had.

I had her six years when she got sick. Stopped eating and whined in pain if she had to move about too much. First noticed something being wrong when she labored on a duck retrieve. One of my quail hunting buddies was the vet in town and when I took her to see him, he came out in the waiting room after examining her with a long face. She had a cancer, advanced, and although he could keep her comfortable temporarily, the ordeal she would have to go through would be just terrible. The selfish part of me wanted to try and keep her going, but I soon realized that it would be an injustice to subject her to the pains of the treatments that would really only prolong her suffering. I remember looking into her eyes as I petted her and talked to her for the last time. She seemed to say with her look that "It'll be alright, we've had a pretty good run and I'll soon be in a better place. Just don't forget me!" And I haven't.

We've had several dogs since, but she was head and shoulders above. Our Brittany that we have now, "Gunner," isn't much of hunter, but is a great companion and has a very human personality. The neatest thing about dogs is that they will usually give back to you as much or more than you give to them and will love you unconditionally. We can learn a lot about ourselves through our relationships with them and as painful as it is when they leave us, I can't imagine not having one or two as part of our family.

Sorry to run on, but this thread hit a soft spot for me! I appreciate all who have shared.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The car thread got me thinking about how much you can learn about other posters by the cars they have or have had in the past. And since I just got a new hunting partner I thought this thread might be a good one.

View attachment 9675

My new lab.
My wife and I got a chocolate when we first got married and "Chief" was our first kid! We had him 13 years and if my wife would have had a choice, she'd have gotten rid of me if she could have kept him! Great breed.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like to say that dogs are everything that people should be.

Jun 2, 2015
We had a heinz57, mostly German Shepard dog, Bugger, for 19 years. Our oldest son was 5 when we got him and had graduated from trade school & started his own business & youngest son was a sophomore in college when he died.
It was literally like losing a human family loved one. Our whole neighborhood knew Bugger and mourned with us. Dogs are among the most loyal and loving creatures on this planet

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Have enjoyed seeing the photos and reading some of the stories about the dogs, even if they conjure up many emotions. That alone should be testament to just how important a part of our lives that dogs (and other pets) can be. I read one time that if a man had one good dog in his lifetime, he was ahead of the curve. I've been lucky enough to have three or four. My first lab, "Deuce," was the runt of her litter and the owner gave her to me because he couldn't sell her (and as a poor college student, I didn't have $200 to pay at the time). She turned out to be more than I ever could have imagined. I shot doves about every Saturday during the seasons back then (1980's) and she was my hunting partner. Not a field trial dog, but she was a cracker jack retriever, easy to train, and was an even better companion. Started taking her duck hunting and she was a natural in the water. We lived behind our family dentist's office back then. He was a hunter and I'd let him take Deuce with him from time to time. He eventually offered me a good sum of money for her, but I wouldn't have taken a million dollars for her. She had one litter of pups and raised all ten of them. Best mama dog I ever saw. She had more care and concern for those pups (and for me and my family) than a lot of the humans I know could muster. She went everywhere I did and got along with everybody. As good a friend as I ever had.

I had her six years when she got sick. Stopped eating and whined in pain if she had to move about too much. First noticed something being wrong when she labored on a duck retrieve. One of my quail hunting buddies was the vet in town and when I took her to see him, he came out in the waiting room after examining her with a long face. She had a cancer, advanced, and although he could keep her comfortable temporarily, the ordeal she would have to go through would be just terrible. The selfish part of me wanted to try and keep her going, but I soon realized that it would be an injustice to subject her to the pains of the treatments that would really only prolong her suffering. I remember looking into her eyes as I petted her and talked to her for the last time. She seemed to say with her look that "It'll be alright, we've had a pretty good run and I'll soon be in a better place. Just don't forget me!" And I haven't.

We've had several dogs since, but she was head and shoulders above. Our Brittany that we have now, "Gunner," isn't much of hunter, but is a great companion and has a very human personality. The neatest thing about dogs is that they will usually give back to you as much or more than you give to them and will love you unconditionally. We can learn a lot about ourselves through our relationships with them and as painful as it is when they leave us, I can't imagine not having one or two as part of our family.

Sorry to run on, but this thread hit a soft spot for me! I appreciate all who have shared.

Our first lab. We had to put down in December with heart failure. One of the toughest things I’ve ever had to do.
He was truly the best companion/family/hunt dog you could ask for.
Should have field trialed him because his hunting and marking ability were second to none.

Kids and the wife finally decided we were due another lab. Just couldn’t be another black one.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is Peanut. We adopted Peanut because she was an older dog and they aren't always so lucky finding homes. She was aloof and had a lot of heavy calluses on the sides of her feet as though she spent a lot of time on concrete. The calluses are mostly gone now. She and Bear are really close and she has adapted well to her new life. They both hate Mike the Mailman.
235b380aa3a6c75.jpg

Last edited:

CaseyGator

Ox’s Favorite Poster
Sep 13, 2016
This was my little girl. Had her 13 years ever since she was 8 weeks old, but had to put her down a few months ago. She actually did look like an Ewok.

80B40F2E-91B2-480D-AAAA-E7431C8DD0AF.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.