Favorite Halloween Tradition and Favorite Movie for Halloween

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My wife do our front lawn and hand out full sized candy bars on Halloween. Our tradition is to watch the movie "Trick 'r Treat" once during Halloween week.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Trick r Treat is a very underrated Halloween movie. Good one.

We don't really have any traditions, other than watching UF beat the piss out of UGay that weekend.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
SGG;n303581 said:
Trick r Treat is a very underrated Halloween movie. Good one.

We don't really have any traditions, other than watching UF beat the piss out of UGay that weekend.

Love watching that as well. Make the day extra special when it falls on the same day like this year.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Never heard of that film. I'll have to check it out.

For us, tradition has always been watching the Fla-Ga game. When moving to the new 'kid friendly' neighborhood we've now gotten into a few of their routines:

1. All kids gather at the same house at 5:30 for a group picture (town trick'r'treat is 6-8). Typically you get about 30-40 kids in the picture. It's a nice year-over-year thing to look back at how kids grow and stuff.

2. All kids (and adults) are invited to a pumpkin carving contest a few days before the trick-r-treat night. THIS is actually what is growing on me as a tradition. For some reason, I've really gotten into this a lot and will sometimes make two pumpkins just to try out different artistic things and see what I can do with the medium. Unfortunately, I was burned out this year and skipped it. This also saved me the hassle of doing my kids pumpkins under their direction (it gets old doing that many pumpkins in a row, and to be criticized by under-10 kids with great imaginations and no ability = "THATS NOT WHAT I SAID/WANTED"). This year, the kids had to carve their own. They are AWFUL, and my daughter wanted to throw hers out but the wife (who carved for her) said NO.

3. We leave a bowl out front of the house and take our kids around for the first hour so they can get theirs. Second hour we're at home as my wife LOVES to see all the kids in costume and answer the door every 2.8 seconds (drives me nuts, I'll be going to the gym tonight during that hour).

Our neighborhood has probably 40-50 kids that live there, but we'll easily see 200+ as other neighborhoods bus kids in to our area. Kinda sucks buying extra candy, but it's so populated during the door-to-door time you know everyone is safe and within sight of at least 10 adults and 20 kids at any given time. Plus, the wife and her answer-the-door-for-costumed-kids thingy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n303990 said:
Never heard of that film. I'll have to check it out.

For us, tradition has always been watching the Fla-Ga game. When moving to the new 'kid friendly' neighborhood we've now gotten into a few of their routines:

1. All kids gather at the same house at 5:30 for a group picture (town trick'r'treat is 6-8). Typically you get about 30-40 kids in the picture. It's a nice year-over-year thing to look back at how kids grow and stuff.

2. All kids (and adults) are invited to a pumpkin carving contest a few days before the trick-r-treat night. THIS is actually what is growing on me as a tradition. For some reason, I've really gotten into this a lot and will sometimes make two pumpkins just to try out different artistic things and see what I can do with the medium. Unfortunately, I was burned out this year and skipped it. This also saved me the hassle of doing my kids pumpkins under their direction (it gets old doing that many pumpkins in a row, and to be criticized by under-10 kids with great imaginations and no ability = "THATS NOT WHAT I SAID/WANTED"). This year, the kids had to carve their own. They are AWFUL, and my daughter wanted to throw hers out but the wife (who carved for her) said NO.

3. We leave a bowl out front of the house and take our kids around for the first hour so they can get theirs. Second hour we're at home as my wife LOVES to see all the kids in costume and answer the door every 2.8 seconds (drives me nuts, I'll be going to the gym tonight during that hour).

Our neighborhood has probably 40-50 kids that live there, but we'll easily see 200+ as other neighborhoods bus kids in to our area. Kinda sucks buying extra candy, but it's so populated during the door-to-door time you know everyone is safe and within sight of at least 10 adults and 20 kids at any given time. Plus, the wife and her answer-the-door-for-costumed-kids thingy.

1) That's a neat idea, haven't heard that one. This is the first Halloween were we are responsible for a little one.
2) My wife does at least two pumpkins, she loves it. She used to do a pumpkin carving party every year, last two years it has been cancelled.
3) I don't know if we are going to take the little one trick or treating, but my wife hands out candy while I blend in with the animatronics to get the older kids and some of the parents.
4) Our neighborhoods sound similar in that regard, their might be 20-40 kids in our neighborhood but in 2013 we had 252 kids (know the exact number, because the last kid took our last piece of candy) and last year we had over 250. We hand out full sized candy bars, so we are a known house that and kids bring their friends to be victims of our set up as well.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Our neighborhood typically gets around 200 or more kids. I usually sit on the front porch with a mask or paper bag on my head and goof on the kids. I usually try and make them do some kind of trick. Some of the kids are pretty cool. Years ago when my oldest son was about 12, I had been drinking and decided to show him how to roll a yard properly. Took him down the street with a hand full of rolls and had things looking pretty good. Next thing I know the neighbor is standing out there watching us and going What the hell you think you're doing? My kids like, Dad thats embarrassing.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n304012 said:
Our neighborhood typically gets around 200 or more kids. I usually sit on the front porch with a mask or paper bag on my head and goof on the kids. I usually try and make them do some kind of trick. Some of the kids are pretty cool. Years ago when my oldest son was about 12, I had been drinking and decided to show him how to roll a yard properly. Took him down the street with a hand full of rolls and had things looking pretty good. Next thing I know the neighbor is standing out there watching us and going What the hell you think you're doing? My kids like, Dad thats embarrassing.

The older kids, we make do a trick as well. Some kids get real creative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator