Feleipe Franks 2020 season tracker thread

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, tell me again why he was starting ahead of Trask.

I’m a Mullen guy, and that’s becoming harder and harder to reconcile by the day.

Ever had that moment after a day out golfing or at a game, you come home, and because of drinks, you’ve completely botched something, and your wife gives you that “what the hell?” stare when you arrive?

That’s how I envision Dan walking in the door after the Uk game last year and every day since.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m a Mullen guy, and that’s becoming harder and harder to reconcile by the day.
Or why he spent all of last season trying to establish the option run game?

Why he had EJ in the #2 slot? Warming up several times vs UK? Only going with Trash bc it was late in the game and being two scores down he would HAVE TO PASS.

Let"s face it, this is a guy who couldnt figure out how to get Cam Newton on the field, who only started Dak Prescott bc of injury, and had Franks and EJ in front of Trash.

I give him a break on Trash. The likelihood of a kid who hadnt started since middle school NOT falling apart completely at the first snap are 1 in millions. 800 other Div 1, Div 1AA, Div 2 and Div 3 coaches agreed with him.

Thankfully, with Trash today, he only ran that outside option and the unblocked backside defensive end wasn't fast enough to catch the running backs in the backfield. With EJ he ran his normal playbook.

he has finally adapted... but you can tell with him forcing reps for EJ what he wants to run his Notre Dame offense still.

When I heard Brian Johnson was OC, my first thought was it was just a figurehead thing. Something to justify some raise Dan wanted to give. Not to much now. There were certainly much more mature passing concepts than anything Mullinz has ever ran.

Yet Im still afraid to fall for it again. I believed in 2006 he had adapted to using a passing game, but by 2008 he had devolved back to 2005 form. Im afraid that will happen again, with EJ and perhaps AR on deck. Here"s hoping though.

Im tired of talking about the defense.

I may even watch the game again tomorrow, something I havent done for years and years, probably since mid 2012.

Last edited:

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
The guy didn't look any different at all. Not one iota. He has reached his ceiling.
Honestly I don't think he'll be a driskel story. Driskel actually had big games this guy really hasn't shown anything. I don't think he could make practice squad. He should play baseball.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The guy didn't look any different at all. Not one iota. He has reached his ceiling.

695b51b7-c9e4-4e62-aefe-31931d764bbd_text.gif

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Different uni, same Flippy.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Yet Im still afraid to fall for it again.

No problem needing to see “done” instead of “gonna”. No problem critiquing what is along the way to what needs to be.

Franks will get more chances and a few years in the NFL because he’s got the size, arm and does work at it. His decision making under duress is not likely to ever be great.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly I don't think he'll be a driskel story. Driskel actually had big games this guy really hasn't shown anything. I don't think he could make practice squad. He should play baseball.
$100 yards was a Dipshyts big game.

But we already know you are Dipshyt's even more retarded cousin.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Or why he spent all of last season trying to establish the option run game?

Why he had EJ in the #2 slot? Warming up several times vs UK? Only going with Trash bc it was late in the game and being two scores down he would HAVE TO PASS.

Let"s face it, this is a guy who couldnt figure out how to get Cam Newton on the field, who only started Dak Prescott bc of injury, and had Franks and EJ in front of Trash.

I give him a break on Trash. The likelihood of a kid who hadnt started since middle school NOT falling apart completely at the first snap are 1 in millions. 800 other Div 1, Div 1AA, Div 2 and Div 3 coaches agreed with him.

Thankfully, with Trash today, he only ran that outside option and the unblocked backside defensive end wasn't fast enough to catch the running backs in the backfield. With EJ he ran his normal playbook.

he has finally adapted... but you can tell with him forcing reps for EJ what he wants to run his Notre Dame offense still.

When I heard Brian Johnson was OC, my first thought was it was just a figurehead thing. Something to justify some raise Dan wanted to give. Not to much now. There were certainly much more mature passing concepts than anything Mullinz has ever ran.

Yet Im still afraid to fall for it again. I believed in 2006 he had adapted to using a passing game, but by 2008 he had devolved back to 2005 form. Im afraid that will happen again, with EJ and perhaps AR on deck. Here"s hoping though.

Im tired of talking about the defense.

I may even watch the game again tomorrow, something I havent done for years and years, probably since mid 2012.

Good to see you, Law. I’d like to address a few of your points.

I’ve always been amused at the extent to which you will go to advocate throwing the ball every down as if it actually makes good football sense. Mullen is no different than a lot of college coaches in regard to his handling of EJ. He’s going to find a way to gradually get a young player, esp a quarterback, mentally ready to lead a team. He’s done just that with him for three seasons now.

You‘re intimating Mullen has had an epiphany when all it amounts to is his making the best of the cards he’s been dealt. What he ideally wants — and you should, too, if you’re being honest -- is a more balanced offense. Being as one-dimensional as we’ve become post-Franks comes with great risk against upcoming opponents who will find a way to exploit Trask’s immobility into costly turnovers. I remind you of Tallahassee, 1996, when Wuerffel was handed a heaping plate of Kryptonite by Mickey Andrews. If Jones can develop into 80% the pure passer Trask is, combined with a running ability that forces defenses to play honest, imagine how difficult Florida’s attack will be to defend. Even you have to acknowledge that.

I assume you’re referring to Prescott replacing Tyler Russell, the same guy who personified your way of moving the ball – nearly 3,000 passing yards and 24 touchdowns against 10 picks in 2012. So now you’re going back seven seasons to question Mullen’s decision to put in the dual threat? You’re playing both sides of your own argument. Russell was a passing quarterback. There’s zero chance you wouldn’t have gone back to him after he recovered from the concussion. As it was, he later suffered a shoulder. Mullen had to go with Prescott.

I believed in 2006 he had adapted to using the running game, but by 2008 he had devolved back to 2005 form.

Devolved, huh? You are aware that the 2008 offense was as prolific as the 1996 offense. What are you trying to say here? That you would have forced the passing game when you had guys like Harvin, Rainey and Demps, any of which could take it the distance on any given play? Shame on Meyer for recruiting those guys and bringing us back into our shell.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve always been amused at the extent to which you will go to advocate throwing the ball every down as if it actually makes good football sense.
Link? Ive never once said that. Dumazzes like Crete claim I said that. Id prefer not putting you in the dumbazz pile.

Spurrier was reasonabky close to 50/50.

what I've always said is you it's easier to pass the setup the run. and it makes no sense to throw nothing but sideways passes. it's only slightly harder to throw a medium pass behind the linebackers than a screen pass in front of them and the medium pass is a lot more productive.

you really rarely need to throw long passes. even SOS rarely did most of his passes were in the 11 to 17 yard range. the long passes are low percentage.
You‘re intimating Mullen has had an epiphany when all it amounts to is his making the best of the cards he’s been dealt.
Sure. just too bad it took him 10 games to figure out what everyone else already knew, that Trash cant run the option but is a pretty effective passer.

Apparently they grow them dumb at Notre Dame.

I assume . So now you’re going back seven seasons to question Mullen’s decision to put in the dual threat?
no he has a long history of questionable at least or terrible quarterback decisions, Leak running the option, Cam Newton, Dak riding the bench, playing Fitzgerald, Franks/ Trash. The resume speaks for itself.

Shame on Meyer for recruiting those guys and bringing us back into our shell.
Yes, Meyer Mullen recruiting brought us the Demps, Rainey, Deonte Thompson offense.

But glad you are back, ole hermano.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Link? Ive never once said that. Dumazzes like Crete claim I said that. Id prefer not putting you in the dumbazz pile.

Spurrier was reasonabky close to 50/50.

what I've always said is you it's easier to pass the setup the run. and it makes no sense to throw nothing but sideways passes. it's only slightly harder to throw a medium pass behind the linebackers than a screen pass in front of them and the medium pass is a lot more productive.

you really rarely need to throw long passes. even SOS rarely did most of his passes were in the 11 to 17 yard range. the long passes are low percentage.

Sure. just too bad it took him 10 games to figure out what everyone else already knew, that Trash cant run the option but is a pretty effective passer.

Apparently they grow them dumb at Notre Dame.

no he has a long history of questionable at least or terrible quarterback decisions, Leak running the option, Cam Newton, Dak riding the bench, playing Fitzgerald, Franks/ Trash. The resume speaks for itself.

Yes, Meyer Mullen recruiting brought us the Demps, Rainey, Deonte Thompson offense.

But glad you are back, ole hermano.

I dislike sideways passes as much as you do. I think Franks made that necessary. If you watched Arkansas yesterday, they were calling the same dreadful shyt. Franks forces your hand.

Spurrier as 50/50 was always window dressing. It’s more instructive to look at the first-half ratio of his games, which was decidedly tilted toward the pass. The rushing attempts came at garbage time. Which, of course, backs your point of the best order, run to pass or pass to run? There we agree.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier as 50/50 was always window dressing. It’s more instructive to look at the first-half ratio of his games, which was decidedly tilted toward the pass. The rushing attempts came at garbage time. Which, of course, backs your point of the best order, run to pass or pass to run? There we agree.
Yes, but it is damn easy to run when they are backed up scared you will toss it behind the backers, huh?

I agree pass to setup the run because it is alot harder to cover the entire width and depth of the field than it is the soace between the d gaps.

Again, welcome back. I hope all is well with you and your fam.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, but it is damn easy to run when they are backed up scared you will toss it behind the backers, huh?

I agree pass to setup the run because it is alot harder to cover the entire width and depth of the field than it is the soace between the d gaps.

Again, welcome back. I hope all is well with you and your fam.

Thanks and doing great.

I don’t lay out a lot of hope for the order preference under EJ. He still makes bad decisions. That shouldn’t be happening at this point.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
ARK probably goes OH-fer, unless Vandy is on the schedule which would not be an easy W. Franks stats if and/or when he gets yanked will be more INT's than TD passes.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I was pulling for Franks yesterday to have a good game mainly because he was playing the butt sniffers. But also because he came to Fl. to be a Gator and try to help us win games, Franks was a good guy but just never made the grade, no reason not to like the guy or wish him bad things.
What is the most confusing to me is why didn't Mullen see that Trask was out better option at QB? Why did it take an injury to get the best QB maybe in the nation on the field?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator