Feleipe Franks

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Loved the win and am impressed with 2018 Franks vs last year. He has definitely developed. All his stats are trending in the right direction. But he's nowhere near where we need him to be. Right now instead of the worst QB in the SEC he's simply average. Yes, I understand Mullen is developing him slowly. But he needs to be able to produce 300+ yards and he's averaging about 200.

I never understand how fans will constantly search for every weakness of a player and only provide cautious reward, as if to cover their positive comments in case things change later.

For years we just wanted a serviceable QB. One who wouldn’t take the game into their own hands, create turnovers due to poor decisions, or force throws into bad situations. We needed the QB to be comfortable with slants or middle of the field throws with passing conviction, and be able to make the big play when it’s open, managing the game and what the defense gave them. Just win. Where else do we “we need him to be”?

Somehow that isn’t good enough and it’s measured by a stat: Yards passed - even though that probably wasn’t the game plan and it was about clock management with short throws to act as runs.

Franks is growing up in front of us. Each game you can see the improvement. We all agree this is a work in progress, but I am not concerned about stats this year. The eye ball test each week showing incremental improvement and a solid “W” is fine by me. Maybe it’s just me.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For years we just wanted a serviceable QB. One who wouldn’t take the game into their own hands, create turnovers due to poor decisions, or force throws into bad situations.
Not me.

Ive never been hoping for a game manager, that is Butters and Chimp talk. I want a risk taking game changer. I want him to throw 4 tds and dont care if he throws two ints.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Not me.

Ive never been hoping for a game manager, that is Butters and Chimp talk. I want a risk taking game changer. I want him to throw 4 tds and dont care if he throws two ints.

That’s not Butters and Chimp, that’s what is expected from most QBs, at any level. Show me an elite “risk taker”. Most elite QBs in the NFL and college take measured risks, but are not all out risk takers. If Franks was slinging it with risk and had a ratio of TDs to INTs as you’re describing, I doubt people would be saying they love how great of a risk taker he is.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That’s not Butters and Chimp, that’s what is expected from most QBs, at any level. Show me an elite “risk taker”.
Thats loser talk, but it is to be expected after two decades of run-the-clock-out football. We've been thoroughly infected by mediocritis, 17-14 football.

All the great ones from SOS to Wuerffel have been risk takers with huge egos. There have been legion in the NFL too, Fouts, Stablers, Marinos, Bradshaws, Favres, Big Ben even, many others.

If Franks was slinging it with risk and had a ratio of TDs to INTs as you’re describing, I doubt people would be saying they love how great of a risk taker he is.
Maybe, Loseritis has infected all asoects of this program, especially the fanbase.

Hopefully Mullinz has a little SOS in him to fix this. If you want to dominate, you have to play like a team trying to dominate. (But not with this OL, it will take a while.)

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's not how much risk you take, it's when.

Mullen pulled the trigger at the right time last night.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's not how much risk you take, it's when.

Mullen pulled the trigger at the right time last night.
There is only so much he can do with what he was left. A bad OL limits your choices greatly... and it also happens to minimize Franks biggest strength, the deep outs or longer passes.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There is only so much he can do with what he was left. A bad OL limits your choices greatly.
You're right, and that's what makes the job Mullen has done so far remarkable. You can only wonder what he is able to do if he can step up the recruiting. This little run of mojo can only help matters,

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I basically trashed Franks over the off season and was confident he would never amount to anything. I figured he would be benched by the third game. I was WRONG. I am so happy to be wrong. Mullen was not my guy and I was pretty vocal about it. Im not sure if he returns us to the glory days but right now I am thankful we hired him. God I love being wrong right now.

To borrow a somewhat tainted phrase, "me too." I never enjoyed crow like this before.

leogator

May 5, 2018
There is only so much he can do with what he was left. A bad OL limits your choices greatly.

With a bad OL and an anemic running game, you do need a game manager. Franks' stats before this game were not of a game manager, a completion rate of 50%. In this game he was a game manager and it is reflected in his completion percentage. I have been waiting for the screen game to appear for a little while now. Get the strong safety out of the box, spread them out horizontally, spread them out vertically. Your running game will improve and your passing game will also.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Thats loser talk, but it is to be expected after two decades of run-the-clock-out football.

We've been thoroughly infected by mediocritis. 17-14 football.

All the great ones from SOS to Wuerffel have been risk takers with huge egos. There have been legion inntue NFL, Fouts, Stablers, Marinos, Bradshaws, Favres, Big Ben even, many others.

Maybe, Loseritis has infected all asoects of this program.

Hopefully Mullinz has a little SOS in him to fix this. If you want to dominate, you have to play like a team trying to dominate. (But not with this OL, it will take a while.)

I wrote “measured” risk. Elite QBs take a measured risk. I was around during the days of SOS. He revolutionized football by having QBs throw to spots. Even he adapted his coaching once DBs became faster and parity of players in college football occurred. Those guys you mentioned aren’t gun slingers that are so cocky that they let it go when the risk is high and reward is low. They take measured risks. It’s not loser talk. Under your scenario Franks would have 12 TDs and 6 INTs instead of only the 3 he has. I guess you’d be okay with that as long as he’s slinging it in risky situations? Riiiight. You’d probably be preaching something different. He had 9 TDs last season to 8 INTs because he thought the risk was worth it. You must have been fine with that though.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Thats loser talk, but it is to be expected after two years of run-the-clock-out football.

We've been thoroughly infected by mediocritis. 17-14 football.

All the great ones from SOS to Wuerffel have been risk takers with huge egos. There have been legion inntue NFL, Fouts, Stablers, Marinos, Bradshaws, Favres.

Maybe, Loseritis has infected all asoects of this program.

Hopefully Mullinz has a little SOS in him to fix this.

SOS yes. Wuerffel no.
Going back to Tyrone Young who have we had that was a risk taker?
Peace? Nah.
Bell? Yeah I would say Bell made things happen on his own.

Any of SOS's QB's? Not really. Shane, Danny, Doug Johnson and Jesse Palmer were system guys. We took risks but that was SOS calling them.
Sexy Rexy was the man though.

Leak and Timmy did as told.
Nobody else worth talking about except Will Grier.

So in almost 40 years we've had only one real risk taker in Rex and an also-ran in Bell. Grier only showed for a few games.

We are in agreement on wanting to see SOS/Wuerffel bombs a few times every drive even if it means INTs. I don't know if that works anymore in the SEC. Is anybody doing it? Even SOS says it wouldn't work these days. I think Mullinz Mullen (I guess I feel like he'll be around long enough now that I can learn to spell his name) is going to take those down field shots when it makes sense. He damn sure ain't gonna go Chump ball on us.

P.S. Franks was the Man in HS. He was the team; made things happen on his own. I think he's got the risk-taker mentality. With a little more time he may.... ummm.... make all of us wrong about how high his ceiling is.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I basically trashed Franks over the off season and was confident he would never amount to anything. I figured he would be benched by the third game. I was WRONG. I am so happy to be wrong. Mullen was not my guy and I was pretty vocal about it. Im not sure if he returns us to the glory days but right now I am thankful we hired him. God I love being wrong right now.

Good on you Dan.

I was out of town without an internet connection and just watched the game today upon returning. I was going to start a thread about Franks, but saw this on (good job '78). The purpose of the thread I would have created would have been to address those who said Franks was uncoachable and could not / would not ever improve and see how many would admit they were wrong and have a plate of crow.

Good on you for admitting it.

I don't ever want to say something like that. I strongly believe in the beauty and power of people changing their lives in meaningful ways and I always want to hope for the best. With Franks, I wasn't predicting that he would be able to turn it around. Like you, I'm thrilled he is beginning to.

I also believe, as many here have said, that Mullen should get a ton of credit, not only for coaching him well and creating an atmosphere that encourages his success, but also for designing a game plan that enables his simultaneous development and success.

After some dry years, let's celebrate this Gator rainstorm!

:chomp: :chomp:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mullen could win with his dog playing qb....

I can't decide if McElwain actually was that wrongfully arrogant or if he was just trying to cover insecurities. Probably the later, even if he didn't know it.

This too highlights Mullen's competencies as a coach.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
As one of his greatest detractors coming into the season, I'm effectively putting a muzzle on my own beak the rest of the season over this guy. 22-of-31 for 219 on the road.

All he does it get better and better against all odds. Mullen's extracted every ounce of efficiency possible. Amazing.
I keep telling you guys. Franks will be all SEC before he leaves UF. If Mullen can pull in some top 5 classes we'll be back on top. Franks is going to be a first round pick because of Mullen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb