Feleipe Franks

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've still seen a lot of poopooing over Franks since yesterday. I'm going to put this into a little perspective for you guys.

• Franks was the first UF QB since Tebow graduated to start every game of the season. Having stability at the position no doubt contributed to our success.
  • Even though he had a rough game against Missouri, Franks played the entire month of November without turning the ball over a single time.
  • After taking 29 sacks and throwing 8 interceptions in 229 attempts last year, he was only sacked 12 times and threw 6 interceptions this year in 299 attempts. His completion percentage increased by about 4%, which could have been bolstered by the amount of short passes we threw, but could also have been held back by his willingness to throw the ball away this year.
  • Franks threw 23 touchdown passes this year. Not only is that more touchdowns than any UF QB has thrown in a season since 2008, that's also eclipses the number of combined touchdown passes in any season since 2009. We can say he padded those stats with 8 touchdowns against Charleston Southern and Idaho, but let's be honest, every season involves stat-padding cupcake games.
  • Franks' QB rating improved by 31 points from last year. Yards per attempt went up by about 1.4 yards.
So let's pump the brakes on calling for a new starter right now. He's shown the ability to not only improve greatly from last year (coaching), he's shown the ability to improve during the season. I've been plenty critical of him at times, especially after UGA/Missouri, but he responded as well as he possibly could have and was dynamite the last four games. After not having any real coaching to speak of until last offseason, let's give him a chance to show us what he can do now that he's been in Mullen's system a full season.

tl;dr FRANKS WASN'T THAT BAD SO CALM THE F*CK DOWN AND GO GATORS.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Can't disagree with anything there. He's grown immensely.

But, damn, if he wasn't always so indecisive in the pocket. That can't all be on the receivers.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Great info SAS. I am not a big FF fan but I have to admit he did far better than I expected and also statistically so. I am sure that CDM had a great effect on him too. I am all for letting it play out and whoever is the better option, so be it. But I am not going to get on FF's azz about it. He's earned some respect. Shhhhing aside, he's improved.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Can't disagree with anything there. He's grown immensely.

But, damn, if he wasn't always so indecisive in the pocket. That can't all be on the receivers.
That's part of his learning process. The offense isn't second nature to him yet. FSU also had pretty good coverage in the red zone yesterday, so Franks was left with no one to throw it to on a lot of those plays. Can't stress enough how good it was that he just threw it away instead of throwing into triple coverage and turning it over in the end zone a la Driskel.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If he makes the same progress this offseason that he has over the last month I'll be damned glad he's competing for the starting QB position here....

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All I want is an open competition for the job going forward, and the best player for the team gets the nod. If its FF, so be it. If he shows as much improvement next year as he did this year we'll be in good shape. If EJ can beat him out in the offseason, that's fine too.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's part of his learning process. The offense isn't second nature to him yet. FSU also had pretty good coverage in the red zone yesterday, so Franks was left with no one to throw it to on a lot of those plays. Can't stress enough how good it was that he just threw it away instead of throwing into triple coverage and turning it over in the end zone a la Driskel.
Yeah, he's done a great job of protecting the ball. 24 TDs against six picks. That's an amazing improvement.

We're committed to this kid. Not necessarily above EJ, but in terms of allowing him to compete for the job. I'll be okay with whomever wins out.

Hoping another year of Mullen tutoring can turn on the light bulb.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Franks isn't top shelf yet but has the skill set to become an All SEC type QB.

I thought he played pretty good against the Noles. If he can continue to improve under Mullens tutelage he will be hard to unseat next year. I have faith that Mullen will chose the best QB to start for the Gators.

Disgruntled fans aren't going away. Thats just part of the landscape of any fanbase.

Go Gators!!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Sas is right, but I can't help but wonder how much of the sputter and stall that we see so often is bc he's just not capable of doing the read and run portion of the O. In mullens scheme it is the primary feature and the run sets up the pass. If he just isn't able to effectively execute that, how far can we really go with him?

If he was in a pass to set up the run spread I think he'd be infinitely better but that's not Mullens O.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Another year to let Mullen educate him, perhaps the light clicks on. If he progressed this much in one year, who knows what another year will yield. FF needs to work on the mental part of it now. Good competition will be a benefit. Even before Trask got hurt, perhaps the possibility of KT starting lit a fire under him.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Another thing. He's shown tremendous leadership in leading two or three come-from-behind wins, two of them on the road. He's got the full support of his teammates in spite of the rumor two weeks ago.

What I've really noted the last two games is a big willingness to sacrifice his body. He (and we) may pay for it in the long run but this kid is showing leadership in multiple ways.

Winning ugly may become our new motto. I'm cool with that, too.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The best thing about our QB room, from this day forward, we have options.

We will get Trask back.
We can now play Emory in every game going forward.
We have a very talented QB coming in the next two seasons.

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
If FF continues this progression through the bowl game, I might be willing to consider jumping on the bandwagon.

But, he still has zero anticipation and still doesn’t throw receivers open. Show me that against decent competition, and I might become a pumper.

Except, EJ has it already. And, he’s shifty. If EJ puts on 15 pounds this offseason, look out FF.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If FF continues this progression through the bowl game, I might be willing to consider jumping on the bandwagon.

But, he still has zero anticipation and still doesn’t throw receivers open. Show me that against decent competition, and I might become a pumper.

Except, EJ has it already. And, he’s shifty. If EJ puts on 15 pounds this offseason, look out FF.
What has Emory Jones done in game action to prove this? He looks good, but so did Treon Harris against Eastern Michigan when his first two career pass attempts were 70+ yard touchdowns.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

EJ probably will be the man. He's better suited to the offense. Regardless, we can always appreciate what Franks did to help us get back on track.

If nothing else, he can return to G'ville and parlay his name in a way that can support him and a family.

I got a feeling NFL teams will take a chance on that build and arm.

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
What has Emory Jones done in game action to prove this? He looks good, but so did Treon Harris against Eastern Michigan when his first two career pass attempts were 70+ yard touchdowns.
He showed more quick decision making and gunslinger mentality against Idaho than FF (when he was running with the 1s). With some more experience, he’s got a great shot.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve become a fan. Just think of the coaching he received last year and then ask yourself who would’ve survived that as a freshman?
That said, yesterday was probably the ugliest set of starting QBs I’ve can ever recall. Franks or Francois...who ya got, Queenie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator