Feleipe Franks

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What has Emory Jones done in game action to prove this? He looks good, but so did Treon Harris against Eastern Michigan when his first two career pass attempts were 70+ yard touchdowns.
Pretty sure he threw one pass in TWO games, both TDs. Or maybe it was his first three passes were all TDs. Something bizarre like that. Of course, we are talking Muschump era so any forward pass was jaw dropping.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Huge improvement, agreed. But let's not forget he was likely gonna get benched until Trask got hurt in practice.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Huge improvement, agreed. But let's not forget he was likely gonna get benched until Trask got hurt in practice.
:rolleyes4:

Yeah.... Mullinz was pretty clear that wasn't happening.

Besides, Trash is probably the first player I've ever heard of to get injuried on the sideline while wearing a no contact jersey three years in a row. We are going to have to take away his clipboard and assign some people to walk with him and protecting him while he practices or stands on the sideline.

Say what you want about Franks, but he is a tough fvkker who has taken a lot of hits.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I appreciate Franks' performance this season. Hopefully he goes out with a serious bang on his career as a starter in the bowl game - sort of like Chris Leak.

However, it's time to take a step forward with the offense after we've now established a good foundation. Assuming he doesn't transfer, it will be a comfort knowing we have a capable backup if something happens to EJ next season.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Franks has improved, no doubt. I expect that for any starting QB at Florida. I also expect good coaching and leadership from the staff to help with that, something he hasn’t had till this year.

One thing Franks could do to show the world he’s ready to be the leader and take it to the next level next year is shave that fcvking squirrel hair on his chin. That would go a long way in my book of great decision making.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Is it possible Franks could take another step forward and get better? Absolutely. Do I think he will? Absolutely not. I think we've seen the best of Franks, and it simply is not good enough if this team has championship aspirations.

It's been a long, long time since we had a QB that actually put fear into the heart of defenses. I desperately want that again.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know how you change the way Franks processes the field. You have to find a way to slow it down for him. You literally have to alter his brain. Not sure how you do that.

You're standing there in the pocket with rushers coming at you from multiple directions while trying to stay focused on your receivers and the various issues they're running into.

It's a lot of moving parts to process in a short period of time. It's why great quarterbacks, even good quarterbacks, are not a dime a dozen.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Very possible Franks improves in exponential fashion, abilities "skyrocketing" - successes collide.
Grimes (tall, big WR) and Franks might become an SEC star combo. Tuned in to each other.
And EJ hasn't faced the gauntlet of SEC defenses to be tested at all.
These facts make Franks our #1 QB : 6'6" + experience + rifle arm + 235^ lbs + bash-power
I do think Franks can be taught to make his first run-step be a lot quicker reaching top speed right away. That's going to wreak havoc on defenses.

***The big deal now is that UF has an HC to whom GatorNation is his Home***

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Is it possible Franks could take another step forward and get better? Absolutely. Do I think he will? Absolutely not. I think we've seen the best of Franks, and it simply is not good enough if this team has championship aspirations.

It's been a long, long time since we had a QB that actually put fear into the heart of defenses. I desperately want that again.

I agree with your views on Franks. He may have played better against FSU, but still made mistakes and 1 game does not a career make. FSU is also a massive dumpster fire. But Franks had a good day. With that said, I think his upside is nil and happen to believe that it would be in Franks and UF's best interest if they part ways. I genuinely do not think that Cousin Eddie wants to play Franks next year and the thought of this being a distraction or a topic if Franks is here would not be good. I am hoping personally that Franks moves on and finds a good place where he can play immediately.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I don't know how you change the way Franks processes the field. You have to find a way to slow it down for him. You literally have to alter his brain. Not sure how you do that.

You're standing there in the pocket with rushers coming at you from multiple directions while trying to stay focused on your receivers and the various issues they're running into.

It's a lot of moving parts to process in a short period of time. It's why great quarterbacks, even good quarterbacks, are not a dime a dozen.
It may not be a popular opinion but I think Franks' ability to process information is on par with Tim's. Timmy had the luxury of easing into Dan's offense. I haven't been a huge fan of Franks, but I think he is going to do really well for us.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It may not be a popular opinion but I think Franks' ability to process information is on par with Tim's. Timmy had the luxury of easing into Dan's offense. I haven't been a huge fan of Franks, but I think he is going to do really well for us.
I just don't see the logic here. Tim Tebow was one of the greatest running QB's ever, a fullback who could pass. He was absolutely perfect for Mullen's offense. Someone like Cam Newton would have been perfect as well.

Franks is NOT a running QB, no matter how much he wants to slam into the line. He should transfer to a small school where he could absolutely light it up as a pocket passer.

I'm baffled at all the love. He's just not a fit for this offense, never was. That isn't going to change, unless Mullen wants to change his offense.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I just don't see the logic here. Tim Tebow was one of the greatest running QB's ever, a fullback who could pass. He was absolutely perfect for Mullen's offense. Someone like Cam Newton would have been perfect as well.

Franks is NOT a running QB, no matter how much he wants to slam into the line. He should transfer to a small school where he could absolutely light it up as a pocket passer.

I'm baffled at all the love. He's just not a fit for this offense, never was.
I was just comparing the mental aspect, that's why I quoted the post I did. And yes, I am showing love for having a QB that hung in there and helped us turn this thing around. But hey, if you want someone else to have him that's your wrong opinion. A lot of us wanted Treon because of a few plays against nobody and we see how that went...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You alter Franks brain, expand & speed up his processing with training-practice imitative of FBI reaction gunfire courses with the shoot/don't shoot popups. Sudden emerging dangers as opportunities. Since it's relied on for life & death happenings, obviously it works. Mullen should consult with the McKnight Brain Institute of UF to give them the fun of designing brain-altering training for specific roles of football. :cool:

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I think he's definitely winning over his teammates by playing "big boy" football (willing runner, blocking downfield on options, etc). Still needs to grow a bit re leadership presence ("shushing" the crowd, etc) and master the middle of the field.

EJ needs to get better at his ball protection, and that's worrisome to me. Especially with his penchant to pull the ball down and run. Don't get me wrong...I like his speed, quickness, and ability to see holes. Just needs to get a grip, so to speak.

All in all I'm liking the QB room more than I have in ten years or so.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I was just comparing the mental aspect, that's why I quoted the post I did. And yes, I am showing love for having a QB that hung in there and helped us turn this thing around. But hey, if you want someone else to have him that's your wrong opinion. A lot of us wanted Treon because of a few plays against nobody and we see how that went...
I want to win championships, not have 8 or 9 win seasons with a QB who isn't a good fit. I didn't even think it was debatable that he isn't a fit for this offense.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He will have to continue to progress to keep the starting job. What Mullen has got out of him this season is beyond amazing.

Politigator

L-boy's Cousin
BANNED
Oct 5, 2018
Franks with continued proper training could be a decent serviceable QB, assuming he has a good line and other tools around him. He still has upside, I don't know if he will reach it. Still not a consistent downfield passer.

It seems he has done better since they are running him more. He isn't a great runner but but he is big enough he can get some yards just on momentum. To the extent he becomes a modest running threat he may get more open looks downfield.

I haven't seen enough of EJ to have an opinion either way. He just seems small. They list him at 6-1, maybe in platform shoes, but he is usually the shortest guy on the field. He is skinny too so I really wonder if he can take the hits of being a running QB. When he runs he didn't seem explosively fast or extraordinarily agile.

He can throw a nice pass downfield. He tends to float the sideline screen passes out there. That is one thing franks does well, he gets it out to the receiver quickly, and typically in front of the receiver so he has good forward momentum.

EJ may be all that, or he could be another Treon. Funny somebody here said that as I had the same thought also

My gut feel is neither one of them is the long term answer but I hope I'm wrong.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He's recovered nicely since the Missouri game. The kid is tough as shcit and he's a competitor. Just played probably his best game against fsu. It's absolutely crazy to say "I hope he moves on". I do hope Emory gets a fair shot next fall if he's progressed though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator