Fight for the State of Florida - Recruiting roundtable

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
The latest piece from the Athletic if you are a subscriber is interesting. They have a roundtable with 2 talent evaluators one from Tampa the other from Miami and 10 high school coaches from across the state from Miami to Panhandle. Talk about a variety of topics from best recruiters in the state to best out-of-state schools at recruiting.

The Athletic article

Some of my takeaways:
  • Interesting how two different coaches can have such different opinions which I assume is reflective of what programs are focusing in what areas. The Ft. Lauderdale coach said UF is non-existent in the area, while the Miami coach said UF was "attentive, thorough, and constant"
  • Norvell seems to be making some positive impressions on high school coaches.
  • UF seems to have dropped Jax and Panhandle reading between the lines of high school coaches comments
  • T-Rob and actually Mullen seemed to be the most cited as best recruiters among state teams. Apparently Air Jordans make a huge impression.
  • Depending upon area of state coaches think UCF is recruiting at P5 level (although do see that in results?). While others cite USF and FIU.
  • Alabama has reached a whole different level at their ability to recruit, per coach from Miami "Alabama, their mentality is we can jump into the fray at any point and jump automatically to the top. And they usually do.".
Anyway slow summer and I am sure the usual folks will parse how bad we suck. Cheers!

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
The latest piece from the Athletic if you are a subscriber is interesting. They have a roundtable with 2 talent evaluators one from Tampa the other from Miami and 10 high school coaches from across the state from Miami to Panhandle. Talk about a variety of topics from best recruiters in the state to best out-of-state schools at recruiting.

The Athletic article

Some of my takeaways:
  • Interesting how two different coaches can have such different opinions which I assume is reflective of what programs are focusing in what areas. The Ft. Lauderdale coach said UF is non-existent in the area, while the Miami coach said UF was "attentive, thorough, and constant"
  • UF seems to have dropped Jax and Panhandle reading between the lines of high school coaches comments
  • T-Rob and actually Mullen seemed to be the most cited as best recruiters among state teams. Apparently Air Jordans make a huge impression.
  • Depending upon area of state coaches think UCF is recruiting at P5 level (although do see that in results?). While others cite USF and FIU.
  • Alabama has reached a whole different level at their ability to recruit, per coach from Miami "Alabama, their mentality is we can jump into the fray at any point and jump automatically to the top. And they usually do.".
Anyway slow summer and I am sure the usual folks will parse how bad we suck. Cheers!

Yep

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
I think that we cal all agree on being disappointed in the Butters-like
results Danny Boy is producing on the recruiting trail. Lagging behind FSU and Miami
is sobering. And to be mentioned in the same breath as UCF, USF,
and even FIU is a real kick in the gonads. Gone are the glory days
of Spurrier and Meyer when UF called the shots in the recruiting
wars. Zook and Champ were regarded as solid recruiters. And even
the much-criticized Butters is known to have landed an occasional 5 star recruit.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
the problem isn't just five stars it's also the top 150 type players, or basically the top 25 in Florida.

Compared to Butters, Mullen actually does a tad better on the floor-- his three stars tend to be better-- and significantly worse on the ceiling-- his four stars are worse--in his recruiting.

as always, he is what his resume said he was.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Lol. There ain't no "fight"? The state belongs to Alabama, UGA, Ohio State, and the rest of us are fighting for the scraps.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014

The Athletic article

Some of my takeaways:
Makes sense since Mullen left a void by recruiting at the group of 5 level.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I think that we cal all agree on being disappointed in the Butters-like
results Danny Boy is producing on the recruiting trail. Lagging behind FSU and Miami
is sobering. And to be mentioned in the same breath as UCF, USF,
and even FIU is a real kick in the gonads. Gone are the glory days
of Spurrier and Meyer when UF called the shots in the recruiting
wars. Zook and Champ were regarded as solid recruiters. And even
the much-criticized Butters is known to have landed an occasional 5 star recruit.

Now to be clear, the interview with these coaches selectively asked questions and they never asked how UF compared to UCF or USF etc in recruiting. The question was which of the Group of 5 schools was doing the best job at recruiting.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Makes sense since Mullen left a void by recruiting at the group of 5 level.
Remember this is the opinion of only one or two of the high schools coaches. The rest felt that USF and FIU were better than UCF, and the question was which of the group of 5 schools were best.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lol. There ain't no "fight"? The state belongs to Alabama, UGA, Ohio State, and the rest of us are fighting for the scraps.
And Clowntown is destroying with the leftovers.

Last edited:

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

And what's truly depressing is that you know our alumni base is making way more than most, especially in this state. Why is the UAA not helping to organize "promotional internships" at every Gator owned car dealership between Ocala and Lake City with the new rules letting them make money on their likeness? Open up the damn bags. Rather than giving it to the worthless UAA we can actually buy us a winning team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.