Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TLB, Jan 6, 2016.

1. ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix I use to be annoyed, now I'm just amused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $10,867
    Ratings:
    +19,325 / -798
    Interesting. In the movie he doesn't play for the money, he plays because he enjoys destroying people. And he screws over Molly just because he can. I wonder how much is true.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $8,361
      Ratings:
      +12,659 / -205
      [​IMG]

• gingerlover

gingerlover Junior Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,854
      Ratings:
      +2,927 / -20
      Who knows. It’s based on her book that names more people also. Her brother played football for Colorado around 2002 before the NCAA made him choose between that or his Olympic ski sponsorship

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $8,361
      Ratings:
      +12,659 / -205
      Monsters: Dark Continent (2014) <Netfilx>

Bills itself as 'soldiers vs alien monsters (in the desert)'. However, in the rollout we start with some friends in the Detroit hood who sign up and head to the Middle East together. Are we in for a 'band of brothers' character type film? No. We are assigned under a sergeant who's done many tours, has the experience to get these sheep up to speed. A third of the way in most of the platoon is torn apart. Are we in for a 'war is hell' type film? No. So...about these aliens, do we get some cool action combat? No. What we end up with is a long film in the Middle East mostly focusing on one central Detroit punk on his first trip out from the hood and a sergeant that must complete the mission (rescue some soldiers from some faraway village). The film never uses the aliens much for the story, though they are decent special effects. I suppose what we're supposed to take away from it is our misguided efforts to stop the inevitable and the collateral costs we incur for it which leave us questioning our own purpose - but it is a long 2h to get there and it isn't worth the journey. Nothing notable about this film at all. I can't recommend it for action, soldier bonding and self-doubt, nothing really. Skip it. 3.5/10

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $8,361
        Ratings:
        +12,659 / -205
        In the Shadow of the Moon (2019) <Netflix>

Trailer is about an obsessed cop chasing a killer who appears once every nine years. Boyd Holbrook plays our central character 'Lock', a Philly cop, and does a very good job throughout the film. You'll recognize his partner (Bokeem Woodbine) and his brother-in-law / boss (Michael C Hall, lead from Dexter). We start in 1988 with Lock heading out for his shift leaving his pregnant wife at home as he and his partner stumble into an odd killing that is replicated around town a few times = all same MO, all with some unknown injected substance, all seemingly random. They come across the perp and chase her to a subway station where Lock and her have a short dialogue and she shares things about him she shouldn't know. He accidently knocks her in front of a train, killing her; and is then made aware of his wife's delivery that night so he rushes to see his new baby...with the wife dying in the process. Skip ahead 9 years, and he and his partner get pulled in again as the same style killings start to occur. Another chase, brief encounter with the SAME killer, his partner is killed accidently, more shared dialogue she shouldn't know....then she disappears again. Skip ahead 9 years, Lock is now unemployed, obsessed, chasing down leads; nearly estranged from his daughter as she lives with his BIL who is concerned for Lock's mental health. A more in depth discussion with the killer whom he is convinced is time travelling, and if he can kill her he can stop the deaths that occurred in the past...but she escapes. Skip ahead 9 more years and we have a final confrontation that lays out all that is occurring = it explains the other connection he has to the killer beyond obsession, which we can feel is there but can't quite put a finger on during the lead up. Her reasoning for time travel and killing leaves us with an 'uh....ok' explanation that fits, and is likely all they could do at that point for the storyline, but isn't powerful from my takeaway. Bottom line, decent concept without too much science explanations, a bit of story telling that unwinds steadily, great acting by all 3-4 leads with good effects to show the passage of time. One huge knock is no acknowledgement of WTF does anyone do for the 9y in between??!?!?!!!! Still, worth the watch. Not awesome, not terrible, pretty ok. 6.5/10.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $8,361
          Ratings:
          +12,659 / -205
          Outside the wire (2021) <Netflix>

Only real notable face is Anthony Mackie (Falcon from Avengers, a few other films since) as the central role. We open with Damson Idris as a UAV pilot disobeying orders to blow up what he perceives as a threat to the soldiers on the ground (2 pinned down, 38 more under fire). As he's never been on the ground or in a firefight, and therefore may not feel the weight of his decisions upon the lives of others, his punishment is reassignment under Capt. Leo (Mackie). Arriving at Leo's base, we are shown many marine soldiers AND robotic soldiers (Gumps) setting us in a futuristic world where ground forces are supplemented with these robots. The conflict is in Eastern Europe where a region has fallen under war. Most nations have backed out, our US troops are there as Peace Keepers, and within the warzone is a warlord attempting to recover lost codes for the Russian nukes in the region = this is Leo's mission, to stop the warlord.

We quickly learn Leo is an advanced robot-cyborg who has historically worked alone but actually requested having Lt. Harp (Idris) with him. Harp has to wrap his head quickly around the shift from going home to his fiancé in California after work, to being behind the lines relying upon and supporting an advanced robot. The first half of the film deals with this transition and has decent action for shoot'em up and hand-to-hand, but as a plot it stays pretty shallow. At the midpoint, the plot pivots, and Leo begins explaining in more depth WHY he requested Harp as a subordinate, and we watch the plot take on the old theme of primary directives for robots and how an advanced AI may try to maneuver around them, while Harp deals with understanding and making human-moral decisions in conflict with orders from a superior. More action, more explosions, and a good (not great) pace. Pretty decent, though not ground breaking, special effects on Leo and the Gumps (and their Russian equivalents). In the end, a decent spend of time on an action film, though if you care for ANY military accuracy you should skip it as the film defies reality on that count. 5.5/10.

• Spurdog98

Spurdog98 Preston Brooks
          Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,537
          Ratings:
          +2,986 / -123
          That's the same one I am referring to. Not the one that John Snow hammered in the cave.

[​IMG]

• Alumni Guy

Alumni Guy Newbie
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,599
          Ratings:
          +3,672 / -203
          I would crawl over 2 miles of broken glass just to eat her toe nail clippings.

• Spurdog98

Spurdog98 Preston Brooks
            Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
            $2,537
            Ratings:
            +2,986 / -123
            I did that once and when I got there she had like this terrible toe fungus so I just kept heading north.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator Well-Known Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $13,026
              Ratings:
              +21,107 / -154
              Piranha 3DD (2012) - IMDb

Didn't catch the whole thing, I'd say last two-thirds. Here's the summary...

Waterpark, piranhas, boobs, "The Hoff", boobs, piranhas, Gary Busey and other obscure star cameos/characters, legless Ving Rhames trying to overcome demons from previous Piranha movie, boobs, piranhas, gore, blood covered boobs, gore, "The Hoff," boobs, piranhas, really funny ending with really funny closing line by "The Hoff."

Biggest disappointment? Didn't get to see the female lead's boobs. She wasn't the hottest girl in the movie, but c'mon man! What, is she "special"? We have a right to see them in a movie like this.

I'm a simple man, I was entertained.

#1990 Detroitgator, Jan 24, 2021
              Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
              • Like Like x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • List
              • Theologator

Theologator Enchanter
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $7,752
                Ratings:
                +8,842 / -121
                Agree. It’s a mess, which is a shame because it had an interesting story/villain to mine. I liked the idea of a malignant evil force working through our natural desires. Gal Gadot makes it worth watching but I’m so glad I didn’t pay to see it.

Throw it on the high and growing pile of DC squanders.

• Spurdog98

Spurdog98 Preston Brooks
                  Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,537
                  Ratings:
                  +2,986 / -123
                  Try Humanoids from the Deep.

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $13,026
                  Ratings:
                  +21,107 / -154
                  Better than C.H.U.D.S.?

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $8,361
                  Ratings:
                  +12,659 / -205
                  This was in response to my review of Snowpiercer (2013)....I am horrified to find not only have they created a tv series of it on TNT but that it has managed to reach season 3 and is still going. Worst of all, one of my crushes is a lead role. Jennifer Connelly, how could you? How?!!?!

• Spurdog98

Spurdog98 Preston Brooks
                    Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                    $2,537
                    Ratings:
                    +2,986 / -123
                    Haven't see that......hmmmm.

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $13,026
                    Ratings:
                    +21,107 / -154
                    Back when we used bowling as yet another excuse to drink, whenever one pin would keep wiggling, whether it fell over or not, we would all get quiet, then look at each other and say, CHUDs!!!"

For those not in "the know," C.H.U.D. stands for Cannabalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller

• Spurdog98

Spurdog98 Preston Brooks
                    Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                    $2,537
                    Ratings:
                    +2,986 / -123
                    Well, I will assume alot of T&A.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $8,361
                    Ratings:
                    +12,659 / -205
                    Catch Me If You Can (2002)

Who knew this film was that old? When it came out, I was very interested, given the general positive reviews. A friend told me it's on Netflix through the end of January (sorry for not sharing earlier if anyone else was interested). Wow...good watch.

Hanks pulls off the FBI agent as flawlessly Hanks normally does and has you expecting. DiCaprio begins the film as a young teen and we watchin him during his 16-20 age frame. Kid had balls of steel huger than most. I expected a bit of taunt and chase, but there really wasn't as much taunt. The film shows the humanity of each character, and more to the relationship than a simple chase film. And it was fun! I like era films that carry over the look and feel, and this film did great capturing the 60's, with several really good supporting roles. Bottom line, if you haven't seen it, you should. Date night or man time, either way I definitely recommend it. 8/10.

• Alumni Guy

Alumni Guy Newbie
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $2,599
                      Ratings:
                      +3,672 / -203
                      I got to meet Frank Abignale at a convention. Pretty friendly dude, but you could tell he was a slick MF’er.

Also, wore a nice suit: like the Yankees Pin Stripes.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $8,361
                        Ratings:
                        +12,659 / -205
                        Just spent 90min watching this one. In the last 10min I realized I'd seen it long ago...dammit.

Ninja Assasin (2009)

Ok, so I've been wanting to see this for a LONG time. Super assassin (do I have a theme tonight? If so, it was by accident) ... ninja style. Trailers and teasers were good, could the flick live up to the hype? Almost yes, but a lot of no. First I'll start with props to 'Rain', the actor who plays our hero ninja. Beyond that, **** all the acting, it sucked...bad. Except for maybe the guy who played his 'father'. The entirety of the film fluctuated between flashbacks of his growing up in this remote mountain ninja training camp for orphans and the experiences that built up his character, in contrast with a current international police detective 'stumbling' upon a 'ninja-assassin for hire' arrangement employed by govt's around the world. For those of us that love kung fu flicks, the flashbacks were decent. The rest of the film focusing on some American chick working for Europol (yeah, right?) and was filmed in Germany with a mish mash of bad actors, poor dialogue, and **** story. Essentially, I think they had to pay some people to say some gibberish in hopes of pasting together all their fight scenes. They should have just presented the fight scenes...that's what we came for, and the rest was slow and really annoying.

Now, to the good part, the fight scenes. Seems someone discovered how to do the latest blood splatter effect, so we used it in every fight scene, on every hit (kill or wound), from beginning to end. It was kinda cool the first 30 times, but then you get to the second or third fight and it's kinda :so-what: 8) The other special effects investment was remapping the Matrix bullet effect into flying ninja stars. That was also over used to the point where it was cool for the first 500 or so, but then...well, then it was still kinda cool, even if it was played out.

Bottom line, we (I) came for the fight scenes. Those were decent, but overkilled (pun intended) with the special effects. The rest of the scenes were a waste of time. I do not recommend this, on any count.