Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TLB, Jan 6, 2016.

1. gingerlover

gingerlover Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,861
    Ratings:
    +2,934 / -21
    Bill & Ted Face the Music - Have a feeling Reeves did this to get his buddy some work. They have talked about it for so long and can't believe this is what they came up with. Story goes that the Wild Stallions still have not united the world with their music. They are now regulated to playing dive bars and weddings. Their wives are growing tired of them and their kids are just like them. They are visited by Rufus's daughter (RIP George Carlin) and have a few hours to write the song before all of time is unmade. They decide to hop through time chasing their future selves in hopes of stealing it while their daughters go back in time trying to find people to help.

On the surface this movie is bad. It has it's moments and some of their future selves are pretty funny, such as prison Bill & Ted. Overall though I'm a little disappointing this is what they came up with after all this time. If you were a fan of the original you will enjoy a few callbacks, but not many. They made Winter the front man of the film and had Reeves in the old school Keanu role. They at least seemed like they were having fun. 4/10

• Gatordiddy

Gatordiddy Engorged Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $7,194
      Ratings:
      +11,277 / -94
      this part of the movie made me lol

otherwise- not bad overall given the premise.
      but definitely agree with your take.

• gingerlover

gingerlover Junior Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,861
        Ratings:
        +2,934 / -21
        best part of the movie

• ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix I use to be annoyed, now I'm just amused
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $10,934
          Ratings:
          +19,425 / -800
          PSA:
          If you don't mind could y'all add the streaming service that you watched the movie on?
          Please and thank you.

• Gatordiddy

Gatordiddy Engorged Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $7,194
            Ratings:
            +11,277 / -94
            Most of mine are under Xfinity OnDemand - which sometimes redirects to a 3rd party app like HBO Max, Hulu or Peacock.

• TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $5,919
            Ratings:
            +9,979 / -292
            Should we also post which movie theater we saw it in?

• Like Like x 3
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • List
            • ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $10,934
              Ratings:
              +19,425 / -800
              For you, yes.
              Anybody else realizes how stupid that is.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator Well-Known Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $13,172
                Ratings:
                +21,385 / -157
                Vanilla Sky (2001):

I still don't fukkin get it.

• Like Like x 3
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • List
                • Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $13,575
                  Ratings:
                  +24,498 / -482
                  Its a poor man's Eyes Wide Shut.

• TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $5,919
                    Ratings:
                    +9,979 / -292
                    Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997): With Godzilla vs Kong being released early on HBOMax then it was in theaters thought I should brush up on the old Mortal Kombat movies. I had only seen the first one, which I saw in theaters in the 90s. Never took the time to see the sequel, and now having seen it I'm glad I didn't. It is on HBOMax.... The movie picks up right after the first one concludes, but they have obviously changed the actors outside of Liu Kang and Katana. And as bad as the acting was in the first movie (but who was watching it for that) this is much worse. The story line starts with Shao Khahn (had to look it up) deciding to break the rules of Mortal Kombat and merge Earth with Outworld (?). The "heroes" have to find help and then attack the temple (I guess). There is a number of fight sequences that appear to that the two fighters were filmed at two different times and a lot of slow motion flipping. No blood, even when sliced by a sword... it's a mortal fuching kombat with no blood. The special effects are better than the original, but when they are bad it's like special effects from the Masters of the Universe movie in the 80s. Then something about the old gods and really dumb putting the plot together. A lot of name dropping and cameos by characters from the game, but I'm not really sure who or what side they were on in most cases. According to IMDB there were 6 writers accredited to this piece of schit and it shows. I give it a solid 2/10.

Threat Matrix matrix: had some decent looking wimens in the movie, but no boobs, butt, or bush.

Deet Diagram: no homeless ass was seen in this film.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Funny Funny x 1
                    • List
                    • TLB

TLB Just chillin'
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $8,410
                      Ratings:
                      +12,840 / -210
                      I may have watched the early ones, I never really played the game so I can't say it meant anything to me...and I admit I watch a lot of bad movie crap. I see teasers for a new one coming out, but I find myself questioning who relates to the characters in this day and age.

• TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $5,919
                      Ratings:
                      +9,979 / -292
                      Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge (2020): Continuing on my Mortal Kombat viewing (HBOMax), this is an animated movie that focuses mostly on the character Scorpion. The main three good characters the same as in original live action movie (Lui Kang, Sonya, and Johnny Cage) with the thunder god Raidan as their guide. The movie starts off with Scorpion (before he is Scorpion) teaching his kid, then his whole family gets killed brutally by Sub-Zero and his clan of ninjas. From the beginning it's more brutal and graphic than either of the two live-action movies. Then a group of fighters go to a island in "Outworld" and you meet a three/four more characters from the games. Then the tournament stops and the plot kind of gets shaky. The action is well done from an animation standpoint, and they use the "X-ray vision" that is used in their more current games (haven't played the last one or last two). This was a lot more enjoyable and shorter than the live action sequel I just watched as well. I give this one a solid 7/10 due to expectations.

ThreatMatrix matrix: No animated boobs, butts, or bush.

Deet Diagram: No homeless ass is drank from in this movie.

• TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $5,919
                        Ratings:
                        +9,979 / -292
                        The first one in the 90s was fun, I played the first two games. Then picked it back up in 2013 roughly when I was on travel and playstation gave it away free in ps plus. Played the one after that one, which actually had a storyline which was still pretty garbage. It can be done right, I mean the original game is inspired by a bruce lee movie. But is has to be with someone that excepts the stupidity of it. And warner bros doesn't have the best track record (ie. DCU)

• TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $5,919
                        Ratings:
                        +9,979 / -292
                        Faster (2010) : I had watched this on rental back in 2010/11 and watched it against today on Vudu enjoying it. The movie is decently acted and you see some people that have been in more recent things. The main character are The Driver (Dwayne Johnson), Cop (Billy Bob Thornton), and Cicero (main dectective, Carla Gugino). The Driver gets released from prison gets into a muscle car which has a gun waiting for him and go on to avenge his brother's death. There isn't a whole lot of dialog in the movie, and not a lot of wasted sequences (only 97 minutes long). Its an enjoyable watch, where as the movie unfolds, so does the full story behind the events before The Driver goes to prison. It's a well made movie that was obviously on a limited budget. It is an enjoyable 8/10.

ThreatMatrix matrix: No boobs, butts, or bush are seen. Even though they had two really good setups for them, especially with a scene in a gentlemen's club.

Deet Diagram: no homeless ass was drank from in this film.

#2054 TheDouglas78, Apr 21, 2021
                        Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
                        • GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
                          $10,042
                          Ratings:
                          +18,730 / -396
                          The new Mortal Kombat Movie

That movie sucked donkey balls.

almost as bad as the new Godzilla Kong movie. Which I couldn’t even finish.

• ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $10,934
                            Ratings:
                            +19,425 / -800
                            Nobody (2021). Amazon. Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul) is a former "auditor" i.e. hired killer, who has retired and is leading the boring family life. You can guess the rest. Events transpire that require him to go up against Russian mobsters. It's a bit over the top with Odenkirk taking out gangs of assassins single handedly. Eventually he gets some help from his father (Christopher Lloyd) and his token black handler. It's light hearted but not a laugh riot. Pretty forgettable. Joe Bob says check it out (when it's free).

• t-gator

t-gator too sexy for my shirt

Oxbucks:
                              $5,119
                              Ratings:
                              +11,429 / -627
                              The new mortal kombat movie might be the worst movie I've ever seen. I've seen a shcit load of movies. That was dumb

• ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $10,934
                              Ratings:
                              +19,425 / -800
                              Stowaway (2021) Netflix:
                              Anna Kendrick gets her space cherry popped. Toni Collette is the commander. Some Asian dude - let's call him Sulu - is the space botanist. White men are no longer competent enough to be astronauts according to Hollywierd, I guess. Our intrepid explorers are on their way to Mars when they discover a stowaway on board who happens to be an AA - let's call him Leroy - rounding out our diversity fruit cake. Leroy is a really, really nice guy so we can feel sorry for him when they determine they don't have enough O2 to complete the mission and need to eliminate Leroy from the equation. #BLM. Of course they try various things to save him and themselves. Yawn. The big tension scene is when they try an EVA to climb the tether to retrieve extra O2. I fast forwarded through most of it.
                              There are soo many technical problems.
                              1) They launch with there visors up. This is common in movies. So common that most people know that it's wrong.
                              2) They launch directly to the rendezvous. In real life you launch to about 20km below the target then use thrusters to phase and raise the orbit. Can take anywhere from an hour to a day. But no, they launch directly to the front porch.
                              3) Strong female character Collette manually docks. Guess they needed to prove to us she has skilz. Manual docking went out with bell bottoms.
                              4) Gravity vector is wrong. I applaud the decision to save money having to film weightless scenes by having the ship rotate on a tether. However, the gravity produced on the ship is pointing in the wrong direction. There are numerous shots that show the stars passing vertically in the window. If that were the case then they should be standing on the walls. Stars should be passing horizontally in the window.

Joe Bob says don't bother.

• Alumni Guy

Alumni Guy Newbie
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $2,648
                                Ratings:
                                +3,774 / -204
                                Your review reminds me of Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s (he’s such a smug prikk) complete scientific dismantling of the Clooney space flick: Gravity.

• TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $5,919
                                Ratings:
                                +9,979 / -292
                                By this review I'm going to assume you have extensive knowledge of what it is like to Suck Donkey Balls... and being I know you have watched Rocky 5 on multiple occasions that tells us how really bad this movie must be.