Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins - Watched this over the weekend. Not sure where to start. Basically all the things that make this character cool they ruined from the get go. The great thing about Snake Eyes was that he was this cool, all in black, ninja that never spoke. You had no idea where he came from or what his story was. The only thing they ever slightly explored was his relationship with Storm Shadow, but nope lets make him a wise cracking millennial. If this movie had just been a generic kung-fu movie it would be better, but it focused on jokes, unbelievable acrobatics and such. Nothing much redeemable here. 4/10.

There was an animated movie back in the 00's that explored the backstory of Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes and did it so much better... and it wasn't the focus of the show. It was really surprisingly well done.

The real origin of Snake Eyes, they were low on funds and they only had black paint for a new character, and that is how Snake Eyes was born.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
There was an animated movie back in the 00's that explored the backstory of Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes and did it so much better... and it wasn't the focus of the show. It was really surprisingly well done.

The real origin of Snake Eyes, they were low on funds and they only had black paint for a new character, and that is how Snake Eyes was born.
I had actually seen that on the Toys that Made us on Netflix. Just threw togethor random parts and spray painted it black.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not sure this qualifies as a movie per se, but Peter Jackson's latest documentary on the Beatles 'Get Back' is absolutely fantastic.
I've seen parts 1 and 2 and while I wasn't a diehard Beatles fan, I know enough about their music to really appreciate the behind the scenes making of their Abbey Road and Let It Be albums.
It's set in January of 1969 when they're trying to prepare for a live TV show and a documentary - it's raw footage (~60 or 70 hours) that has been put together by Jackson. It is awesome to hear and see their most popular songs come to life organically - they more or less wrote them by committee. It was almost like they were building the airplane while they were flying it.

Watching Paul sit down at the piano and bang out pieces of Let It Be and The Long and Winding Road from out of nowhere is damn impressive.

A couple of takeaways:
1. Paul McCartney is a musical genius - he is their 'Brian Wilson'.
2. John Lennon would have done well to tone down the 'humor' - they would have gotten a lot more done. He really begins to grate on the nerves.
3. George Harrison was definitely not as talented as I had once thought, but he never really got to voice his opinion(s) when it's the Lennon and McCartney show. This really was the strain that broke up the Beatles - not entirely Yoko's fault, although John and Paul really drifted apart musically with the lack of songwriting once Yoko appeared on the scene.
4. Speaking of Yoko - if there is a Hell, then her caterwauling/screeching will be on an endless loop. Could also work for ISIS terrorist interrogations. Good lord... what John saw in her I'll never know. She doesn't really say that much at all, but her presence is non-stop. She only really opens her mouth to screech out unintelligible sounds and shrieks. Thankfully it's not that often.
5. Everyone was a smoker...
6. Ringo was a cool dude and very funny - they called him "Richie" since his real name is Richard Starkey.
7. Overall - they were all a very talented bunch

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Not sure this qualifies as a movie per se, but Peter Jackson's latest documentary on the Beatles 'Get Back' is absolutely fantastic.
I've seen parts 1 and 2 and while I wasn't a diehard Beatles fan, I know enough about their music to really appreciate the behind the scenes making of their Abbey Road and Let It Be albums.
It's set in January of 1969 when they're trying to prepare for a live TV show and a documentary - it's raw footage (~60 or 70 hours) that has been put together by Jackson. It is awesome to hear and see their most popular songs come to life organically - they more or less wrote them by committee. It was almost like they were building the airplane while they were flying it.

Watching Paul sit down at the piano and bang out pieces of Let It Be and The Long and Winding Road from out of nowhere is damn impressive.

A couple of takeaways:
1. Paul McCartney is a musical genius - he is their 'Brian Wilson'.
2. John Lennon would have done well to tone down the 'humor' - they would have gotten a lot more done. He really begins to grate on the nerves.
3. George Harrison was definitely not as talented as I had once thought, but he never really got to voice his opinion(s) when it's the Lennon and McCartney show. This really was the strain that broke up the Beatles - not entirely Yoko's fault, although John and Paul really drifted apart musically with the lack of songwriting once Yoko appeared on the scene.
4. Speaking of Yoko - if there is a Hell, then her caterwauling/screeching will be on an endless loop. Could also work for ISIS terrorist interrogations. Good lord... what John saw in her I'll never know. She doesn't really say that much at all, but her presence is non-stop. She only really opens her mouth to screech out unintelligible sounds and shrieks. Thankfully it's not that often.
5. Everyone was a smoker...
6. Ringo was a cool dude and very funny - they called him "Richie" since his real name is Richard Starkey.
7. Overall - they were all a very talented bunch
I saw this and was interested. how long are each parts and how many is it supposed to be? Have a few other things I'm trying to find time to watch and curious how I might be able to fit this in.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I saw this and was interested. how long are each parts and how many is it supposed to be? Have a few other things I'm trying to find time to watch and curious how I might be able to fit this in.

Three parts - each part is around 2.5 hours -so in total, about seven and a half / eight hours.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Three parts - each part is around 2.5 hours -so in total, about seven and a half / eight hours.
But only on Disney+?
I really find behind the scenes documentaries like this interesting. However I have no other use for a Disney+ subscription.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
But only on Disney+?
I really find behind the scenes documentaries like this interesting. However I have no other use for a Disney+ subscription.

I only see it on Disney+
We only have it because our granddaughter is obsessed with Mickey and various other personnel

Otherwise- yeah, we wouldn’t have it either

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Finished Part 3 last night of the Beatles documentary.

They ended up doing that now famous rooftop 'concert' - but the best part was the crowd reaction(s) down on the street level.
Not to mention the attention from the police.
It would also be the last time they did a public appearance.

I also forgot to mention that Billy Preston showed up in Part 2 to save the day (from a piano perspective).
He was an incredible musician.. but a real sad life to say the least.
He's the only one outside of the four Beatles to have any song credits for their original stuff.
Probably why they called him the Fifth Beatle.

Overall - well worth the time to watch this three part series.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
8-Bit Christmas (HBO Max) - Went into this one not expecting much but looked like a good family movie to watch with our 9 year old who not only loves video games, but retro games from when I was a kid. The story is a dad arguing with his pre-teen daughter about why she can't have a cell phone. He then decides to tell her the story of the Christmas from when he was 10 and the NES was released. He then tells the story, set in the 80's, of all the things him and his friends tried in order to obtain a NES all the while their parents are actively campaigning against them. Also throws a nice side story in about Cabbage Patch kids and the hysteria around those.

This movie was a big surprise. Due to the adult cast I didn't expect much, however they were able to put in some well placed one liners, but the group of no name kids hit it out of the park. Part of what made it so good for people my age is that we were kids during that time period and a lot of the things they referenced were spot on to things that happened in our lives. My wife and I both loved it and there were parts so funny to us we would have to pause and explain it to my son. There was also plenty in it that the kids from today will understand as well, beyond the meaning behind everything. Now is some of this nostalgia driving why I found it so funny, I'm sure it is. Even some that are around my age might not find it funny at all. Some of our older or younger members not kids in the 80's might not find it as funny either. That being said there were multiple moments where all of us were almost in tears because we found something that funny. My 9 year old who would rather watch Youtube was so into this movie at one point his jaw was on the floor he was so invested into it. 7.5 out of 10 in my opinion. Might be a little high, but been a while since they made a Christmas movie that I found this funny.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I was looking for Sling Blade gifs and videos for funny usage in threads, and I came across this amazing video of Billy Bob Thornton on The Actors Studio, talking about the film. Of course as everyone knows he wrote, directed and starred in it.

Not that I ever gave it too much thought, but I was never sure how he looked so different as the Karl Childers character. Guess I figured it was prosthetics or something.

It was not. He just contorted his jaw and his whole face by himself. Because the audience is acting students, he agrees to do it for them in this clip. This may be the only video of him doing this. He says he had never done it before. I don't know if he's done it since. This guy is an amazing actor.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
A Chosen Christmas: We are the Messengers. Go to the theater before Christmas with you kids. Sing along. People must know.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
8-Bit Christmas (HBO Max) - Went into this one not expecting much but looked like a good family movie to watch with our 9 year old who not only loves video games, but retro games from when I was a kid. The story is a dad arguing with his pre-teen daughter about why she can't have a cell phone. He then decides to tell her the story of the Christmas from when he was 10 and the NES was released. He then tells the story, set in the 80's, of all the things him and his friends tried in order to obtain a NES all the while their parents are actively campaigning against them. Also throws a nice side story in about Cabbage Patch kids and the hysteria around those.

This movie was a big surprise. Due to the adult cast I didn't expect much, however they were able to put in some well placed one liners, but the group of no name kids hit it out of the park. Part of what made it so good for people my age is that we were kids during that time period and a lot of the things they referenced were spot on to things that happened in our lives. My wife and I both loved it and there were parts so funny to us we would have to pause and explain it to my son. There was also plenty in it that the kids from today will understand as well, beyond the meaning behind everything. Now is some of this nostalgia driving why I found it so funny, I'm sure it is. Even some that are around my age might not find it funny at all. Some of our older or younger members not kids in the 80's might not find it as funny either. That being said there were multiple moments where all of us were almost in tears because we found something that funny. My 9 year old who would rather watch Youtube was so into this movie at one point his jaw was on the floor he was so invested into it. 7.5 out of 10 in my opinion. Might be a little high, but been a while since they made a Christmas movie that I found this funny.

finally got around to watching this - good stuff.
even the wife enjoyed it.
great 80’s references

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Marvel double feature today.

Venom: Let Their Be Carnage - Had a free rental on VUDU so decided to watch this one. It's ok to say the least. A lot feels like a rehash of the first one. Woody Harrelson plays the bad guy in this one that gets a symbiote attached. Basically cut and paste from the last one. Honestly they could make an entire movie of just Eddie & Venom arguing over stuff and it would be better. I actually like the banter the two have as they wrestle for control and some of the things Venom says is hilarious. Outside of that and the interaction with Mrs. Chow not much else. However the credit scene plays into the next movie I saw. 5/10

Spiderman: No Way Home - Took my 9 year old to see this as Spider-Man is his go to hero. Going to tip toe around this as much as I can since many haven't scene it, but feel free to skip if needed. Lets just say there are things you probably guessed that are right and some that were not. I'm still trying to figure out how great of a movie it really is once you strip past some of the epicness that was given for the first time since Endgame and the movies since have fallen kind of flat trying to boot up new characters. The movie picks up right as the last one ended with Peter being outed as Spider-Man. The first act of the movie is him, his friends, and family dealing with the fallout of this revelation. However he has a pretty good "lawyer" that helps him out. But the damage is done and they are still seen as a pariah to some. That's when he goes to see Doctor Strange to do the spell, and against Wong's warnings, they screw it up unleashing the Multiverse into the MCU. The middle act of the movie is Peter trying to fight those that came through and to fix everything and everyone, but in usual Spider-Man fashion he screws it all up and then in the final act things start to happen that lets just say in a pact theater were pretty awesome, but also to the core of who Peter Parker is.

Basically has the same Spider-Man tropes all iterations of the character has had. With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility, you are not immune from loss and Spider-man has to put everyone else before him. A big struggle to come to grips with for a kid still in high school. I will say I'm not a huge fan of the ending, but it definitely makes Spider-Man's place in the MCU really interesting going forward. There is still plenty of humor amongst him and his friends. Ned is still a great side kick, the villains get some good zingers and the interactions with Dr. Strange are always fun since he's still a kid that hangs with adults. 8/10, but I reserve to adjust after viewing it at home. My son absolutely loved this movie. He has been watching all of them and to see the villains from those movies cross over he really enjoyed it.

I absolutely love the opening up of the multi-verse. To know all those movies before the Disney purchase aren't just going in a dust bin and those characters all can exist somewhere in time. There was a lot of trash movies, but some of the actual characters across those franchises were pretty good. There are two credit scenes. The first one I will just say rounded out my day. The second if you choose to stay is just the trailer for the next Dr. Strange movie so nothing special.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spiderman: No Way Home - Took my 9 year old to see this as Spider-Man is his go to hero. Going to tip toe around this as much as I can since many haven't scene it, but feel free to skip if needed. Lets just say there are things you probably guessed that are right and some that were not. I'm still trying to figure out how great of a movie it really is once you strip past some of the epicness that was given for the first time since Endgame and the movies since have fallen kind of flat trying to boot up new characters. The movie picks up right as the last one ended with Peter being outed as Spider-Man. The first act of the movie is him, his friends, and family dealing with the fallout of this revelation. However he has a pretty good "lawyer" that helps him out. But the damage is done and they are still seen as a pariah to some. That's when he goes to see Doctor Strange to do the spell, and against Wong's warnings, they screw it up unleashing the Multiverse into the MCU. The middle act of the movie is Peter trying to fight those that came through and to fix everything and everyone, but in usual Spider-Man fashion he screws it all up and then in the final act things start to happen that lets just say in a pact theater were pretty awesome, but also to the core of who Peter Parker is.

Basically has the same Spider-Man tropes all iterations of the character has had. With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility, you are not immune from loss and Spider-man has to put everyone else before him. A big struggle to come to grips with for a kid still in high school. I will say I'm not a huge fan of the ending, but it definitely makes Spider-Man's place in the MCU really interesting going forward. There is still plenty of humor amongst him and his friends. Ned is still a great side kick, the villains get some good zingers and the interactions with Dr. Strange are always fun since he's still a kid that hangs with adults. 8/10, but I reserve to adjust after viewing it at home. My son absolutely loved this movie. He has been watching all of them and to see the villains from those movies cross over he really enjoyed it.

I absolutely love the opening up of the multi-verse. To know all those movies before the Disney purchase aren't just going in a dust bin and those characters all can exist somewhere in time. There was a lot of trash movies, but some of the actual characters across those franchises were pretty good. There are two credit scenes. The first one I will just say rounded out my day. The second if you choose to stay is just the trailer for the next Dr. Strange movie so nothing special.

Saw this last night with the fam... and felt it had a lot of potential but too much fan service. I do like the "lawyer" scene and hearing reports about Hawkeye and a known criminal "Kingpin" arriving has me very interested. Seeing the different characters and the opening of the multi-verse.

I agree with you about the end, it really just meh... it makes sense and really opens up phase 4 of the MCU. Like Spider-man:Far from Home closed phase 3, it feels like Spider-man: No way home really opens up phase 4. Eternals and Black Widow were really on the outside looking in.

I give it a solid but not special 7/10..... but like you I might need a second viewing to really pick stuff up.

Last edited:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Saw this last night with the fam... and felt it had a lot of potential but too much fan service. I do like the "lawyer" scene and hearing reports about Hawkeye and a known criminal "Kingpin" arriving has me very interested. Seeing the different characters and the opening of the multi-verse.

I agree with you about the end, it really just meh... it makes sense and really opens up phase 4 of the MCU. Like Spider-man:Far from Home closed phase 3, it feels like Spider-man: No way home really opens up phase 4. Eternals and Black Widow were really on the outside looking in.

I give it a solid but not special 7/10..... but like you I might need a second viewing to really pick stuff up.

You will like Hawkeye. Watched the finale today and was very good. My only complaint is these finales in the shows feel rushed cramming them into the hour and should consider extending the last episode a little. However it looks as though Netflix is coming to the MCU. As for Spider-Man some of the things that have stuck with me and my son most has just been dialog between certain characters that were placed really well, but left a lot of questions and potential. Just have to see where it goes

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched Matrix 4. I didn’t have high expectations and it didn’t disappoint. It had some good points but not 2.5 hrs of them.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Watched Matrix 4. I didn’t have high expectations and it didn’t disappoint. It had some good points but not 2.5 hrs of them.

Watched last night and it was basically just a forbidden love story.

Read a funny story that the only reason they made it is because they hate the red pill memes that conservatives use and wanted to try and reclaim that narrative, whatever that means, and the Matrix is really a trans coming out story according to the Washjowski bros or whatever their name is

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched last night and it was basically just a forbidden love story.

Read a funny story that the only reason they made it is because they hate the red pill memes that conservatives use and wanted to try and reclaim that narrative, whatever that means, and the Matrix is really a trans coming out story according to the Washjowski bros or whatever their name is
I saw many ‘progressive’ messages that it was a smorgasbord that had no meat behind it. No justification just a splatter gun of instances.

It has entirely too much same ole fight scenes with the one exception… there so many bullets but no blood/death I thought I was watching an A Team rerun. It should have been much more of an intellectual movie. Whoever wrote it was either out of ideas or mailed it in aka Mullen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.