Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I saw many ‘progressive’ messages that it was a smorgasbord that had no meat behind it. No justification just a splatter gun of instances.

It has entirely too much same ole fight scenes with the one exception… there so many bullets but no blood/death I thought I was watching an A Team rerun. It should have been much more of an intellectual movie. Whoever wrote it was either out of ideas or mailed it in aka Mullen.

This is why I probably won’t watch it.

I was frustrated by the sequels’ fight scenes (inside the matrix), because Neo had tapped into his full potential at the end of the first movie. Why have these big fight scenes when he has god-like power inside the matrix?

I think I heard the sequels were based on more books in the series rather than the cheap money grab that sequels tend to be - maybe the books explain more than the movies. Either way, having NOT read the books, the sequels seem incredibly flawed. Should’ve just ended it with the first movie.

And because I’m NOT a huge intellectual guy, if I’M complaining about a flaw, I doubt it’s because I’m being nitpicky.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Don't Look Up (Netflix) - Watched this one as the trailers made it appear to be a fun comedy. Has a cast of DiCaprio, Lawrence, Hill, Streep, Blanchett and a bunch of others you know. Essentially a scientist discovers a comet heading toward Earth. He alerts the government and they dismiss and out right deny it and put economic interests ahead of saving the planet and essentially doom everyone. Lets just say there is very little comedy in this one. I'm sure somewhere some little liberal that thinks they are smarter than anyone snickered, but that's about it. This movie is just bad. It will win awards as they all pat themselves on their back, but the message is clear. Celebrities are smarter than everyone and the general population are just a bunch of dumb people. 3/10.

At first watch I though the libs were making a movie about COVID reactions, but turns out it was written and filmed prior to COVID. It is however another movie about climate change that is once again Hollywood trying to prove how smart they are and how dumb everyone else is, but after COVID ended up owning themselves in some ways. Streep plays a Trump like president that constantly has scandals coming, with her son as chief of staff, and puts money ahead of everything. They even have her doing rallys with her slogan branded on all the merchandise and has her followers believing the comet doesn't exist even though it can be scene in the sky and an Alex Jone's type guy that is ranting. That being said her biggest donor is a Bill Gates type of guy who gives her orders which is far more like what is happening now. Dicaprio plays the scientist that at first has the best interest at heart, but then becomes fame and power drunk as his time in the spotlight goes on and acts more like Fauci until the end when his mistake is realized. Him and all of his colleagues are silenced, yet in the real world the only ones silenced are those that oppose the liberal narrative. They also try and claim the media is against climate change, liberal agenda and are deniers which we know is false. The general population are obviously treated like sheep that only believe what they read from celebrities and social media. This one is just bad.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Lets just say there is very little comedy in this one. I'm sure somewhere some little liberal that thinks they are smarter than anyone snickered, but that's about it. This movie is just bad. It will win awards as they all pat themselves on their back, but the message is clear. Celebrities are smarter than everyone and the general population are just a bunch of dumb people.

My wife (dem) and FIL (dem liberal) were watching this the other night. I caught glimpses as I passed through periodically. Even in those brief pass thrus, it was obvious to me Streep was a Trump parody with all the branding. Wife and FIL said it was a satire of Trump and Covid (as you note, it was made before covid, but the interpretation fit), both kept saying it wasn't funny but it had an all star cast. They agreed someone was very proud of getting all those actors into the film, but nobody paid any attention to the writing because it sucked. Even these dem-liberals turned it off before it was over.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched Being the Ricardos last night with the wife on Prime. Not sure if reviewed yet but we liked it. Some pretty quick wit from these guys as Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem play Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez in a movie about their lives and the making of I Love Lucy. I thought they did a great job, especially Kidman.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't Look Up (Netflix) - Watched this one as the trailers made it appear to be a fun comedy. Has a cast of DiCaprio, Lawrence, Hill, Streep, Blanchett and a bunch of others you know. Essentially a scientist discovers a comet heading toward Earth. He alerts the government and they dismiss and out right deny it and put economic interests ahead of saving the planet and essentially doom everyone. Lets just say there is very little comedy in this one. I'm sure somewhere some little liberal that thinks they are smarter than anyone snickered, but that's about it. This movie is just bad. It will win awards as they all pat themselves on their back, but the message is clear. Celebrities are smarter than everyone and the general population are just a bunch of dumb people. 3/10.

At first watch I though the libs were making a movie about COVID reactions, but turns out it was written and filmed prior to COVID. It is however another movie about climate change that is once again Hollywood trying to prove how smart they are and how dumb everyone else is, but after COVID ended up owning themselves in some ways. Streep plays a Trump like president that constantly has scandals coming, with her son as chief of staff, and puts money ahead of everything. They even have her doing rallys with her slogan branded on all the merchandise and has her followers believing the comet doesn't exist even though it can be scene in the sky and an Alex Jone's type guy that is ranting. That being said her biggest donor is a Bill Gates type of guy who gives her orders which is far more like what is happening now. Dicaprio plays the scientist that at first has the best interest at heart, but then becomes fame and power drunk as his time in the spotlight goes on and acts more like Fauci until the end when his mistake is realized. Him and all of his colleagues are silenced, yet in the real world the only ones silenced are those that oppose the liberal narrative. They also try and claim the media is against climate change, liberal agenda and are deniers which we know is false. The general population are obviously treated like sheep that only believe what they read from celebrities and social media. This one is just bad.
I just got through watching it.

I thought they did a damn good job of cutting everyone. There was a ton of irony in there.

For the last two months NPR and other liberal rags have been pushing this as anti-Trump, antivaxxers anti-conservatives etc but I found the move cut the liberals more deeply…because they didn’t realize they were being cut!

It speaks badly in general against stupidity and intelligence. There is nothing that was not ridiculed except maybe comedy … unless you don’t find it funny.

Hell even the rooster was picked on!

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Take that back…the religious were spared and presented in a very positive light.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Venom: Let Their Be Carnage - Had a free rental on VUDU so decided to watch this one. It's ok to say the least. A lot feels like a rehash of the first one. Woody Harrelson plays the bad guy in this one that gets a symbiote attached. Basically cut and paste from the last one. Honestly they could make an entire movie of just Eddie & Venom arguing over stuff and it would be better. I actually like the banter the two have as they wrestle for control and some of the things Venom says is hilarious. Outside of that and the interaction with Mrs. Chow not much else. However the credit scene plays into the next movie I saw. 5/10

I thought I replied to this, but can't find it. Forgive me if I repeat myself. After a bit more thinking I can agree with the cut'n'paste copy from the first one in that it's a man-sym vs man-sym repeat. There's a little difference in Carnage has his own personality and drive, and Woody plays a pretty good bad guy (I was concerned he'd be too old for the role). To say it is a complete repeat is to say every hero-villain movie is the same movie with the names changed. That said, there isn't a whole lot of variety you can do when working within a symbiote framework, it's going to be a lot of CGI destruction. This film brought perhaps a little better dialogue than the first, but that was soured for me with Venom dropping way too many f-bombs unnecessarily. It is almost as if they saved them up from the first film and got the green light to finally say the word in this film :\ I liked it overall, and am curious to see what other films fall into this series. Without dropping spoilers, I will say the closing credits clip makes a lot more sense now that I've seen Spiderman: No Way Home.

Spiderman: No Way Home - ...I'm still trying to figure out how great of a movie it really is once you strip past some of the epicness that was given for the first time since Endgame and the movies since have fallen kind of flat trying to boot up new characters. The movie picks up right as the last one ended with Peter being outed as Spider-Man. The first act of the movie is him, his friends, and family dealing with the fallout of this revelation. However he has a pretty good "lawyer" that helps him out. But the damage is done and they are still seen as a pariah to some. That's when he goes to see Doctor Strange to do the spell, and against Wong's warnings, they screw it up unleashing the Multiverse into the MCU. The middle act of the movie is Peter trying to fight those that came through and to fix everything and everyone, but in usual Spider-Man fashion he screws it all up and then in the final act things start to happen that lets just say in a pact theater were pretty awesome, but also to the core of who Peter Parker is.

For me, it was very awesome. Went with the family (son loves Marvel, daughter played on her phone, wife has no clue to anything and loved it, cried more than once). It is hard to write about without dropping spoilers, but I will say I went in without much of an expectation in terms of storyline. I was tickled pink with the cast they assembled, both the actors and the characters they portrayed, heroes and villains. I didn't expect that, so it was really pleasing, and the path each took thru the film were somewhat new and unexpected in some cases but overall fit within this film well. There was some of the trope aspects, required in such an ensemble cast to reward the fans, but also felt a bit worn by this point.

I absolutely love the opening up of the multi-verse. To know all those movies before the Disney purchase aren't just going in a dust bin and those characters all can exist somewhere in time. There was a lot of trash movies, but some of the actual characters across those franchises were pretty good. There are two credit scenes. The first one I will just say rounded out my day. The second if you choose to stay is just the trailer for the next Dr. Strange movie so nothing special.

I agree with you about the end, it really just meh... it makes sense and really opens up phase 4 of the MCU. Like Spider-man:Far from Home closed phase 3, it feels like Spider-man: No way home really opens up phase 4. Eternals and Black Widow were really on the outside looking in.

Credit scenes are always about teasing the next film. The mid-credit connects us back to Venom-Carnage, and as stated the closing scene sets up Dr. Strange although it felt a lot like a tease towards live action of the animated 'What If?' series Disney+ put out, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. No Way Home does a solid in terms of pivoting to Phase 4 with the multiverse, especially with Strange's role here and the end credits. I'd agree that to this point The Eternals has been sitting on the outside, but I wouldn't knock Black Widow the same way given it suffered roughly a year delay in release. BW actually does well backfilling Natasha's life and role before Avengers, then bridges to the recent Disney+ series of Hawkeye where Clint deals with the loss, and Yelena is now known and looking for answers. BW was a nice stand alone-ish film that fills some gaps and makes that connection, it serves that purpose effectively, IMO (and is ok, but not great as a film).

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Eternals and Black Widow were really on the outside looking in.

I'll give a bit of an apology to you. I hadn't seen Eternals...but now I have. I'll also admit I have zero of their background, as they didn't exist when I was reading comics and stuff. I just watched them now, and can comment with some perspective. I'll agree (<-- apology here) that they are very much on the outside looking in. The token statement they made in the third act or so about Thanos destroying half the universe's population, and 'this planet' snapping them back, that's about all the connection we get to any of the MCU. Weak. I'll sum up my overall review as 'weak 4$$ 5h1t' overall.

Eternals (2021) <Disney+>

The only really recognizable actor was Angelina Jolie, who has that still sexy but getting older look about her. I'll give Marvel props on setting the story, building their background, and getting to the crux of this film. They also threw in a good bit of visual effects, not leaning on existing CGI but giving the Eternals their own look and feel in the MCU. That's about as far as I can go with good points to mention. Now, the bad ones. WTF is up with the various accents? Was there no thought or intent to this in the film? Specifically, I'm looking at Ikaris and Druig. I'll let pass the black guy ending up gay and having a mixed son. I won't let pass the open reference to Peter Pan, and then closing with Sprite getting the Pinocchio treatment. Awful, but I can see how it fits the characters, kinda sorta. I will say my favorite was the super fast deaf lady - nice super power, used well in the film, and it's not often we can see a deaf person integrated into a film very well like this. However ALL the characters seem to have HUGE gaps for the 'centuries' they are alive. While we have Kro as a main Deviant (the race that is seeking to destroy the world, and the Eternals fight in protecting the world), bringing him along and developing him is half done....and just when he gets to a good point, well, not to drop a spoiler but they waste his development at that point. The 'closure' for the film....is expected, and fairly disappointing. Maybe because I don't know their full story, but it really sucked.

End of the film shows Arishem, the 'God' Celestial that confronts the Eternals for sacrificing a Celestial for Earth's inhabitants. He conflictingly states he will spare the humans, but that also he will use the memories of the Eternals to judge the humans...so which is it? And what does he do with his handful of Eternals at that point?

There are two scenes at the end, like Marvel is known to do. The mid-credit one starts setting the stage for a sequel, but introduces two new characters we haven't seen or heard of at all. Maybe it fits well with the comic book stories, but from an average person perspective, this really sucked. In part because they introduce Eros...and play him as Thanos' brother (what? Thanos has never even been rumored to have a brother, and this guy looks nothing like a Titan like Thanos). Add to that, the only Eros introduced to MCU thus far is StarLord's father which is also wholly and completely disconnected from this storyline and set of characters.

Then we look at the end credit, where we return to the human (?) boyfriend of Sersi, Mr. Dane Whitman. Again, I don't know the story of the Eternals, but this guy has been a vanilla bland human all along. Now, at the end of the film he says he has a secret as well...what the hell is this blade he pulls out, his interactions with it, and what the hell is any of that supposed to foreshadow. Again, for someone NOT knowing the comic book Eternals (98% of the population), then this is complete distraction and contributes nothing now or for the future.

All in all, weak 4$$ 5h1t!!!

4.5/10

Last edited:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I'll give a bit of an apology to you. I hadn't seen Eternals...but now I have. I'll also admit I have zero of their background, as they didn't exist when I was reading comics and stuff. I just watched them now, and can comment with some perspective. I'll agree (<-- apology here) that they are very much on the outside looking in. The token statement they made in the third act or so about Thanos destroying half the universe's population, and 'this planet' snapping them back, that's about all the connection we get to any of the MCU. Weak. I'll sum up my overall review as 'weak 4$$ 5h1t' overall.

Eternals (2021) <Disney+>

The only really recognizable actor was Angelina Jolie, who has that still sexy but getting older look about her. I'll give Marvel props on setting the story, building their background, and getting to the crux of this film. They also threw in a good bit of visual effects, they also threw in a good bit of visual effects, not leaning on existing CGI but giving the Eternals their own look and feel in the MCU. That's about as far as I can go with good points to mention. Now, the bad ones. WTF is up with the various accents? Was there no thought or intent to this in the film? Specifically, I'm looking at Ikaris and Druig. I'll let pass the black guy ending up gay and having a mixed son. I won't let pass the open reference to Peter Pan, and then closing with Sprite getting the Pinocchio treatment. Awful, but I can see how it fits the characters, kinda sorta. I will say my favorite was the super fast deaf lady - nice super power, used well in the film, and it's not often we can see a deaf person integrated into a film very well like this. However ALL the characters seem to have HUGE gaps for the 'centuries' they are alive. While we have Kro as a main Deviant (the race that is seeking to destroy the world, and the Eternals fight in protecting the world), bringing him along and developing him is half done....and just when he gets to a good point, well, not to drop a spoiler but they waste his development at that point. The 'closure' for the film....is expected, and fairly disappointing. Maybe because I don't know their full story, but it really sucked.

End of the film shows Arishem, the 'God' Celestial that confronts the Eternals for sacrificing a Celestial for Earth's inhabitants. He conflictingly states he will spare the humans, but that also he will use the memories of the Eternals to judge the humans...so which is it? And what does he do with his handful of Eternals at that point?

There are two scenes at the end, like Marvel is known to do. The mid-credit one starts setting the stage for a sequel, but introduces two new characters we haven't seen or heard of at all. Maybe it fits well with the comic book stories, but from an average person perspective, this really sucked. In part because they introduce Eros...and play him as Thanos' brother (what? Thanos has never even been rumored to have a brother, and this guy looks nothing like a Titan like Thanos). Add to that, the only Eros introduced to MCU thus far is StarLord's father which is also wholly and completely disconnected from this storyline and set of characters.

Then we look at the end credit, where we return to the human (?) boyfriend of Sersi, Mr. Dane Whitman. Again, I don't know the story of the Eternals, but this guy has been a vanilla bland human all along. Now, at the end of the film he says he has a secret as well...what the hell is this blade he pulls out, his interactions with it, and what the hell is any of that supposed to foreshadow. Again, for someone NOT knowing the comic book Eternals (98% of the population), then this is complete distraction and contributes nothing now or for the future.

All in all, weak 4$$ 5h1t!!!

4.5/10
Agree with all of this.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) <Netflix>

Ok, any of us old film lovers recall the Ray Harryhousen film of 1961, this is not even close. Apparently, there have been a few other remakes of the Jules Verne classic, both in feature films and some series, none of much merit (my heart remains with the 1961 version). Let's start with the title "Journey 2:", which, to my knowledge there is no "Journey 1" this was simply a ploy to get a title that flows close to the original and gives the false perception that this is a sequel and you somehow missed out on the original...not so fast, my friend.

In this version, we start off focused on The Rock portraying a step father to a teen ager named Sean (Josh Hutcherson - you'll recognize his face, but likely can't name any other role he's been in, don't worry about it). The plot revolves around Sean getting a ham radio coded message and trying to break the code. Lucky for Sean his step-dad is ex-Navy and helps decode it (and get a submariine working, how convinient....oh, and currently he runs a construction company which helps when he notices the sand on the island is getting watery, pure coincidence), revealing it to be a message of "The island is real" and some other stuff which inspires Sean that he MUST go there :eyeroll: Rock says no, then rethinks and says yes, convincing mom that the two of them can afford to fly to nowhere in the South Pacific to prove there is no island, a chance to build the bond as they explore and get disappointed together and he can keep Sean safe. We get to the island, need a boat, and nobody is willing to go to the coordinates as it is a constant storm center...except Gabato (Luiz Guzman, you'll know him) and his teen daughter, Kailani (Vanessa Hutchens) in their helicopter. Skip ahead a bit, we find the island, and the message sender is ... Sean's missing grandfather :eyeroll: Bonus, we get Michael Caine with a pot belly as the grandfather throwing shade on the Rock for not being his grandson's real dad. Oh, and it turns out the island they are on is actually Atlantis, complete with Captain Nemo's ship still there if they can get to it before the island sinks back in the ocean for another 140y :eyeroll: Yes, I'm giving all the damn spoilers right here - you will not have to see this film, nor should you. Shame on you if you do watch it after reading this.

Basically, we have the Rock performing at 40% Jumanji level, Guzman perfoming at 30% of whatever supporting role he ever gets in anything, Caine is ok although annoying but even he can't save the film. For females, Kailani is hot for an older teen and she does get a wet t-shirt for a bit, but this is a Disney-lite kinda film, you're getting nothing sexual. Action is kinda lame, best bit is some CGI for large animals being small and small animals being large, but other than a chase scene involving riding giant bees away from birds...lame. Writing is weak, both for plot and dialogue...actually, worse than weak for plot as there are more holes than you'd find on a sinking island. Such utter crap. I watch bad movies, just to see how bad they can be...I expected better and got worse than average.

Final rating 4/10. Don't see this with the kids, for a date, or even if you are passed out drunk on your own. Do not watch.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Had some plane rides last week that let me catch up on a few things.

Queenpins - Stars Vince Vaughn as a postal inspector and Kristen Bell. Basically two housewives devise a plan to steal and resell coupons. They end up making a lot of money very fast and have to enlist help in hiding it. It's a little filler movie. Not great, but not bad. I think it was made for Hulu so makes sense that it was a streaming film. 6/10

Copshop - Gerald Butler and Frank Grillo star. A con man is being pursued by the mob. He gets himself arrested to stay safe, but a hit-man gets himself thrown in the same jail. You also have a rookie cop that is smarter than anyone thinks trying to unravel which one of them is telling the truth and which is lying. Things go crazy when others are sent after him as well and it turns into who can survive. A few swerves about who is the good guy and who's the bad guy. It had me as an interesting movie until the end because it never explains exactly what everything is about. 6/10, but would have been higher if the ending was better.

No Time To Die - This one has been covered. Not the best Bond, but far from the worst. Weak villain and i hated the ending. Not sure where they go from here since they are trying to make these connected instead of individual stories now. I don't see the direction they were hinting at going as being successful. 6.5/10

F9 - Just turn your brain off. These are some of the most absurd movies out there. Went from being street racers to secret agents. This one even has a jump the shark moment that goes way beyond what they have done so far. It has it's entertaining moments, but like all in this series are not award winners. Just cars, guns and explosions. Has a couple of hot chicks. 5/10

The Last Duel (HBO Max) - Ridley Scott's latest with Affleck, Damon and Driver. Could not make it through this one. Just didn't care and it was just crap. No wonder Scott had his old man yells at cloud moment when Spider-Man came out. I'll let anyone that liked this review.

Spencer - The Kristen Stewart Princess Diana movie. Once again couldn't get through this one. Turned it off when I realized it was going to be two depressing hours with her crying most of the time and wasn't offering anymore than you already knew. Just watch the Crown on Netflix. Incomplete review.

Home Team (Netflix) - The movie about Sean Payton and him coaching his kid's team while supsended. Kevin James did well enough and not completely comedy considering Adam Sandler produced. Lots of familiar faces though. I would classify this as more of a mockumentary that takes itself to seriously. Lots of focus on the relationship between him and his son and how hard life is for someone in a job like that. If you have time to spare check it out, but if not you are not missing anything. 5/10

Hotel Transylvania 4 (Prime)
- My kid has been waiting on this one for a while. He loved it. Me and the wife could tell the drop in quality though with Sandler opting out. Monsters turn into humans and vice versa and its a race to get to the Amazon to switch things back. Same gags as in most kids animation, but not horrible if you watch. Had a few adult jokes in it that made us laugh. 6/10

This is the Night (Netflix) - Frank Grillo stars as a down on his luck American Italian dad with two sons and a wife in a middle age crisis. The movies main focus is about the community being pumped for Rocky III. One of his sons is accused of saying Rocky sucks and has members of the community after him. It was entertaining seeing just a high school movie about them running and trying to clear his name. Grillo's story is him trying to save his business, but clashing with the local mob boss. Then you have the point the movie was ruined where the other son is a cross dresser that is helped by the mom and they go clubbing togethor. Absolutely was shoehorned into where the movie was going. Should have just stuck with the somewhat comedic teens on the run story. 4/10.

Injustice (HBO Max) - Justice League animated cartoon. Takes place in an alternate reality where the Joker sets off a nuke in Metropolis killing millions and using Lois as the trigger. Superman then begins to slowly take over under the guise of protecting people and peace, while Batman and his supporters try to get him to stop. They make great animated movies and this one was as well. 7/10 if this is your thing

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you like westerns, check out Old Henry.

Amazon product

Good movie.

Worth watching.........
Old Henry, an action western about a widowed farmer and his son who warily take in a mysterious, injured man with a satchel of cash. When a posse of men claiming to be the law come for the money, the farmer must decide who to trust. Defending a siege of his homestead, the farmer reveals a talent for gun-slinging that surprises everyone calling his true identity into question.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Hotel Transylvania 4 (Prime) - My kid has been waiting on this one for a while. He loved it. Me and the wife could tell the drop in quality though with Sandler opting out. Monsters turn into humans and vice versa and its a race to get to the Amazon to switch things back. Same gags as in most kids animation, but not horrible if you watch. Had a few adult jokes in it that made us laugh. 6/10

Funny you mention this one..
The Frankenstein character / voice actor is my fraternity brother/radio co-worker from back in the day at UF.
He hosts a morning show out in the LA area and does a boat load of commercials and voice overs.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Funny you mention this one..
The Frankenstein character / voice actor is my fraternity brother/radio co-worker from back in the day at UF.
He hosts a morning show out in the LA area and does a boat load of commercials and voice overs.
He did a descent job replacing James. You really couldn't tell that much. Problem was that with him and Sandler out you could tell the rest were just mailing it in.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Forgot one I caught with the wife this weekend.

The Tinder Swindler (Netflix)
- documentary about a guy who financed his life by getting women to give him money. Basically it was him claiming to be a diamond company heir who would get into trouble when enemies would come for him and he would have his girlfriends send him money to help escape. They would take out loan after loan and send to him. Eventually they found out he was lying and was operation a ponzi scheme. Woman A pays for what he buys Woman B an so forth. This is about some of the women coming togethor with help from journalist to get him arrested and to hopefully get their money back. Very interesting and the ending is not what you would expect.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Worth watching.........
Old Henry, an action western about a widowed farmer and his son who warily take in a mysterious, injured man with a satchel of cash. When a posse of men claiming to be the law come for the money, the farmer must decide who to trust. Defending a siege of his homestead, the farmer reveals a talent for gun-slinging that surprises everyone calling his true identity into question.
Watched it over the weekend. Best western I’ve seen in many years.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I liked the last duel.

The scenery was good and I liked the fail to adapt and be smart about theme. Yes there was a lot of stereotyping going on and it has its woke moments but they were not as bad as 95% of the movies out there today

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I thought I already rated this, but apparently not...

Enhanced (2019) <Netflix>

SUCKED. Lead is an almost attractive chick, but it appears shot in Michigan so we never get a good look beyond a sweatshirt and jacket. We have 99min of runtime in what could easily have been covered in about 30-40min, and bonus info, I just read a trivia note that this was a sequel to the 2017 "Kill Order" film none of us were upset about missing, though that makes sense. For this film, we follow our lead lady as she kills 3 guys with superhuman strength when they come to rough up her boss at a mechanic shop. Special agents arrive, as they are collecting these super humans, uh...'enhanced' persons, and she skates away. There is a random guy trying to help her, but he's too random for her to acknowledge - that and 20sec of dialogue explaining the whole film sums up his purpose in the movie. The rest of the time we're watching the 'squad' of agents tracking her and other 'enhanced', and find one Alpha 'enhanced' is going around killing 'enhanced'. This all has turns on the 20sec explanation by Mr. Rando, so don't feel like none it makes sense leading up to that reveal in act 3. The entire look and feel of this is of a sci-fi channel pilot episode hoping to launch a series. It didn't. Special effects are minimal, action is limited, plot is out of a middle school imagination. Cast is weak, both in characters and actors. The one lead agent that tries to help our lead lady, he has a face you should see on Hallmark if you haven't already. Otherwise, everyone is very forgettable. Oh, perhaps maybe the ultimate bad guy has a few more roles somewhere as a discount Jet Li, most of the looks, less acting skills. Do not watch. 3/10.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Ghosts of War (2020) <Netflix>

So, here I wanted something horror, or supernatural, for a changeup. I figured this looks alright, I'll give it a try. First acts follow a squad of American soldiers in WW2 hiking to an assignment to take over guarding a captured estate (mini-castle). The squad they relieve isn't talking much, and haul ass quickly out of there. Our guys settle in, and in the first night start experiencing ghost things. A little ways in, we have a caravan of Nazi troops stop by, rattle the door and it's locked so they give up to leave until the ghost noises attract them and they break in - our guys kill all 50 Nazi's somehow, and only suffer a partial loss when Alan Ritchson dives on a grenade that takes off his arm and a such. The ghosts didn't help either team. Nazis dead, back to house sitting with the ghosts, and things escalate. In an effort to appease the ghosts, they find the bodies and provide a proper burial. It doesn't help. Ok, plot is covered, without spoiling the ending, I'll just say it involves Billy Zane and takes a somewhat predictable twist that still fits within the storyline of the film. I will say, if you watch, pay attention to the details that don't line up. They hint to the ending as something being not what it seems. In the cast, I recognized Ritchson from the Amazon series 'Reacher', the rest are decent actors you'll think you recognize, and they may get a chance. But overall, I'd classify this as an almost decent kill of 1.5h time, but only 'almost'. 5.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb