Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So - the wife gave me control of the remote this weekend, therefore:

Old Henry - The frickin’ fantastic Tim Blake Nelson is a farmer, but apparently was an outlaw in his past (see: Unforgiven) but there’s a very cool twist near the end. This was a crazy good movie.
9/10

The Outfit- similar in the sense the main guy (Mark Rylance - you’ve seen him in a lot of British movies - awesome actor) is not what he appears to be. Set in 1956 Chicago, he’s a tailor for several mobsters who use his shop for passing messages to other members of ‘The Outfit’, a crime syndicate. I can’t give too much more away, but damn, great story and unexpected ending. Make sure you watch this one.
9/10
Old Henry was awesome. Best western in years.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
A few we have seen recently in between having our oldest (9) do family movie night this summer where he watches movies from the 80's and 90's. So far he has done Uncle Buck, The Great Outdoors, Batman, Batman Returns, The Princess Bride, Camp Nowhere, Big & Bill & Ted. He absolutely loved Bill & Ted and was exactly like Fred Savage's charactor in the Princess Bride. Didn't want to hear it at first and then couldn't stop watching.

Spiderhead (Netflix) - Chris Hemsworth & Miles Tellar. Prisoners are able to shave time off their sentence by being in medical trials at a pharmacuetical company. CH is the pharmacy bad guy and Tellar is the prisoner who discovers the nefarious plot. 4/10. CH is just fulfilling his Netflix contract.

Jurassic World: Dominion - Took my oldest in one of his friends to see this. In between playing with their seats I think they saw most of it. Ignore the reviews if you just like cool dinosaur stuff. Basically same plot as all the others. Evil corporation trying to do some thing evil. The whole gang from both trilogies team up to save them and the dinosaurs as we continue to learn how to live togethor. The reviews hate this, but its lacking on plot substance. That isn't the point of these movies though. The point is to see cool dinosaurs on screen and enjoy. 6.5/10

Hustle (Netflix) - Adam Sandler stars as a NBA scout who is long overdue for a promotion. When he finally gets it the owner dies and the son that hates him takes over immediately putting him back on the road. He then decides to quit and prove his worth when making a discovery of a player that noone else has seen.

Sandler may crank out some turds, but he has proven at times that he has the chops for something bigger when given the chance. He put his work in on this one and even my wife was hooked on it. 7/10.

The Northman (Peacock)
- A story of revenge in the old north. Lots of violent action and some really weird stuff. Didn't make it through it. 4/10.

Rumble (Prime) - Monsters that wrestle. A down on his luck son of a legend is recruited to help save the town after their champion leaves. It's ok for a kids movie. My youngest watched the most of it. 5/10.

Fantastic Beast: Brokeback Magic (HBO Max) - These movies have paled in comparison to the HP movies. They haven't been anywhere close to as good and once again have to recast the bad guy (thanks Amber Heard). They have to rush to stop the bad guy from becoming the minister of magic in a rise similar to Hitler. They even have most the movie take place in pre-WWII Germany. Oh and Dumbledore and the bad guys can't quit each other. 5/10.

Ambulance (Peacock)
- Jake Gyllanhal stars as a guy who with his adopted brother try to knock off a bank. Things go wrong and they try to escape in an ambulance. The entire movie is them driving around trying to get away. It has some good action, but is just a good vs evil between the two brothers caught in the crime. 5/10.

Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers (Disney +) - The nostalgia and cameo's in this alone make it a fun movie. The kids loved it and actually isn't that bad. Reminds me of an updated Roger Rabbit plot. 7/10

The Sleepover (Netflix) - Another kids movie. Basically their parents used to be spies and the kids have to rescue them. Like many cheesy 90's movies, but the kids will like it. 5/10

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Watched the new jurrasic movie. It was decent. Brought the old gang back together and tied loose ends up. Wouldn't pay to watch it if I had the chance at a do over though.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Hustle (Netflix) - Adam Sandler stars as a NBA scout who is long overdue for a promotion. When he finally gets it the owner dies and the son that hates him takes over immediately putting him back on the road. He then decides to quit and prove his worth when making a discovery of a player that noone else has seen.

Sandler may crank out some turds, but he has proven at times that he has the chops for something bigger when given the chance. He put his work in on this one and even my wife was hooked on it. 7/10.

Wife and BIL each watched it independently without knowing, and quickly spoke to the other about how really good it was. My 13yo son is big on basketball, liked the cameos and still appreciated a good film. I'll skip, I don't care much for basketball (Blue Chip with Nolte/Shaq/Hardaway kinda killed the genre for me).

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022 - Prime) - If you are like me, and find that Nic Cage movies fall into only two categories (1 - entertaining for what it is, or 2 - JFC! This is HORRENDOUS), this movie is actually well done and funny. I'm kinda stunned that he did this movie because it is him embracing every caricature/stereotype of him ever, while playing himself. I mean, the title itself screams "Nicolas Cage." Son #2 and I watched it a week ago when moving into his new apartment, we both thoroughly enjoyed it.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022 - Prime) - If you are like me, and find that Nic Cage movies fall into only two categories (1 - entertaining for what it is, or 2 - JFC! This is HORRENDOUS), this movie is actually well done and funny. I'm kinda stunned that he did this movie because it is him embracing every caricature/stereotype of him ever, while playing himself. I mean, the title itself screams "Nicolas Cage." Son #2 and I watched it a week ago when moving into his new apartment, we both thoroughly enjoyed it.

I agree completely and have been waiting to watch this one.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wanted to see Maverick. Missed my window and had to see Jurassic Park 17(I think?) instead. The gist is they run from dinosaurs. The blonde from the original had plastic surgery and looks like Jim Carey in The Mask. BD Wong transitions from a gay psychiatrist at SVU to a gay geneticist at Jurassic Park. Jeff Goldblum makes wise cracks. Seriously it’s enough already with the dinosaurs.
I watched both of them in a Dolby surround cinema theater. That new Jurassic Park movie sucks balls. The story is abysmal. The concept is abysmal. The acting is abysmal.

Maverick was FANTASTIC to see in a theater. Sit in one of those Dolby cinemas. With the recliner chairs and full immersible sound.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Saw Maverick today….fantastic movie….emotional, funny, awesome flight scenes, nostalgic, everything….

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Wife and BIL each watched it independently without knowing, and quickly spoke to the other about how really good it was. My 13yo son is big on basketball, liked the cameos and still appreciated a good film. I'll skip, I don't care much for basketball (Blue Chip with Nolte/Shaq/Hardaway kinda killed the genre for me).

Watched it last night with the boys and wife. Very enjoyable other than the Queen Latifiah character who had zero chemistry with either her husband or daughter. Seemed very contrived to me and really added nothing to the plot IMO..

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins (2021) <Prime>

Never was truly into the GIJoe movies, other than watching some mindless action flick. I do like origin stories, though, so had a little bit of hope for this one. The opening scene has Snake Eyes as a kid with his dad at some remote cabin, and the sequence has about a dozen wtf? gaps and questions raised that it never addresses. We then jump many years to the future where an adult Snake Eyes gets mixed in with Yakuza, picked up by a Chinese Clan protecting some soul stone weapon; mix in some almost wannabe hot GIJoe chick and a likewise non-hot wannabe Cobra chick; then thread it all together with an heir to the Clan being like a brother to Snake Eyes after they survive a fight together but continuously giving **** to the Clan's head of security for not being part of the blood family, and you're almost there. Add that the Chinese chick head of security quickly presents with a British accent and you have a complete cluster fk. Writing sucks, both for dialogue and for scenes and plot, action sequences are pretty meh other than an interstate fight that includes jumping from vehicle to vehicle, the mystical aspects of Chinese culture are presented as Snake Eyes attempts 3 trials in order to join the clan and even these are pretty sad in presentation. Overall, I'd give this a 2/10. Not even worth seeing for hotties, not worth it if you are a Joe fan (I'm not, but if I were I'd be furious someone wasted a budget to give the public such crap). Simply. Not. Worth. It. They leave the ending so Snake Eyes has a evil opposite in a sequel. I expect this bombed badly enough nobody invests in any sort of effort and we don't have to suffer anything further on this theme.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Thor: Love and Thunder (2022) <Theater>

Took the son (13) to the latest Thor flick. I will state up front, the woke or girl-power aspects were not on display, or if they were present they were buried under a ton of other crap I'll get to in a minute, point being they did not come across in any noticeable way. Case in point, the two strongest female parts were Jane Austin (Natalie Portman) as Mighty Thor and whatsherface as Valkyrie. Val gets to fight a bit in a supporting role, acts a bit in an even smaller supporting role, then fades. Austin we discover is dying of cancer, uses Mjolnir to restore her health but it is in fact killing her more (spoiler alert = Thor begs her to put down the hammer and fight the cancer, she doesn't); even so she is a good co-lead and is used for this poignant (I'm being generous here) role. Oh, and there is a lot of (Asguardian) kids used, especially towards the end, which can be viewed as "kid power" or just wtf fodder. The Good: Christian Bale seemed to enjoy playing this villain and did it well, Matt Damon gets his usual uncredited cameo, and that's about it. The Bad: First few scenes keep you on edge wondering if they are being campy or making a parody of themselves intentionally and will break out of it at any moment for a serious film (spoiler alert - they don't). Also, there are a ton of cameos of other characters, none that make any real impact, and the Guardians provide a few small laughs but their part is poorly utilized. Bad dialogue, bad character interactions, bad overall. The Ugly: Fat Russel Crowe as Fat Zeus. The Best: Taika Waititi as Korg with a lot of background talking for humor, though when he gets smashed his role becomes somewhat blah. There is a mid-credit scene that sets up another film for Thor vs Hercules, but I thought Chris Helmsworth wanted out so idk. There is an end of credits scene with Mighty Thor and Heimdall, but it doesn't do much for anyone, I suppose it's meant for closure on Portman acting in the series any further with an attempted warm fuzzy, but blah.

Son walked out giving it a 7/10, but stating it didn't really feel like a Marvel film. I give it a 3.5/10, and it felt like the same actors got to wear the same outfits and use the same names in some misbegotten bastardized off-off-off-broadway interpretation.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

Took the son (13) to the latest Thor flick. I will state up front, the woke or girl-power aspects were not on display, or if they were present they were buried under a ton of other crap I'll get to in a minute, point being they did not come across in any noticeable way. Case in point, the two strongest female parts were Jane Austin (Natalie Portman) as Mighty Thor and whatsherface as Valkyrie. Val gets to fight a bit in a supporting role, acts a bit in an even smaller supporting role, then fades. Austin we discover is dying of cancer, uses Mjolnir to restore her health but it is in fact killing her more (spoiler alert = Thor begs her to put down the hammer and fight the cancer, she doesn't); even so she is a good co-lead and is used for this poignant (I'm being generous here) role. Oh, and there is a lot of (Asguardian) kids used, especially towards the end, which can be viewed as "kid power" or just wtf fodder. The Good: Christian Bale seemed to enjoy playing this villain and did it well, Matt Damon gets his usual uncredited cameo, and that's about it. The Bad: First few scenes keep you on edge wondering if they are being campy or making a parody of themselves intentionally and will break out of it at any moment for a serious film (spoiler alert - they don't). Also, there are a ton of cameos of other characters, none that make any real impact, and the Guardians provide a few small laughs but their part is poorly utilized. Bad dialogue, bad character interactions, bad overall. The Ugly: Fat Russel Crowe as Fat Zeus. The Best: Taika Waititi as Korg with a lot of background talking for humor, though when he gets smashed his role becomes somewhat blah. There is a mid-credit scene that sets up another film for Thor vs Hercules, but I thought Chris Helmsworth wanted out so idk. There is an end of credits scene with Mighty Thor and Heimdall, but it doesn't do much for anyone, I suppose it's meant for closure on Portman acting in the series any further with an attempted warm fuzzy, but blah.

Son walked out giving it a 7/10, but stating it didn't really feel like a Marvel film. I give it a 3.5/10, and it felt like the same actors got to wear the same outfits and use the same names in some misbegotten bastardized off-off-off-broadway interpretation.

They are struggling with Phase 4 so far. Nothing really rememberable or worth rewatching outside of the latest Spider-Man. I’ll wait the 45 days for this.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Saw Top Gun again over the weekend in Gainesville with oxking. Enjoyed it yet again and oxking liked it better than he was expecting to.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Saw Top Gun again over the weekend in Gainesville with oxking. Enjoyed it yet again and oxking liked it better than he was expecting to.
Finally took my son to see Top Gun last weekend, and we both loved it. I'm glad we caught it on the big screen. Instant classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.