Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Thanks, I'll give it a watch (maybe tonight)...

FYI - on the Battle for Afghanistan note, yesterday was the 35th anniversary of General Gromov being the last Soviet back across the Friendship Bridge

Also on Battle for Afghanistan, there are so many parallels (and key differences) between their experience and our, and so many subtle (but important) things in the movie that would be a huge conversation.
One thing that made me chuckle during Battle Afghanistan was when they dumped the chap’s head out of the canvas sack— it bounced like a soccer ball. I was expecting a bloody “splat-thud”.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
A novel. So, obligatory love scene with goat-herds of the Hindu Kush?
It's "goat bang gang"....
Guess Again Social Media GIF by MasterClass

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The Void (2016) <Amazon>

IMDB: Shortly after delivering a patient to an understaffed hospital, a police officer experiences strange and violent occurrences seemingly linked to a group of mysterious hooded figures.

TLB: Ok, while this was made in 2016, think of a typical B horror film from the 80s, but made on a 1990's budget. No named actors, poor concept and execution, special effects out of a high school drama club. Central to the story is our local sherrif, and the lead nurse at the remote hospital in what appears to be backwoods Alabama or Mississippi (no accents, though)....and of course, these two have a history of perhaps being married, and/or losing a child, some connection that isn't much of a factor to the story, nor is it really developed. We have hooded cult members showing up outside, and some creature inside the hospital killing people - think of John Carpenter's "The Thing" but on a shoestring budget. All in all, we don't care about anyone, we don't fully understand what's happening nor why (and don't care about that either).

Final: 1/10. I cannot recommend this for any reason. Even if you were seeking to see the worst movie possible, there are worse movies you'd get more out of...if this makes sense.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Gran Turismo (2023) <Amazon>

IMDB: Based on the unbelievable, inspiring true story of a team of underdogs - a struggling, working-class gamer, a failed former race car driver, and an idealistic motorsport exec - who risk it all to take on the most elite sport in the world.

TLB: Family movie night, my 15yo son tuned out in the first 5min and left after another 10 leaving the wife and I to watch it. Yes, this is the one about taking video gamers and letting them compete to become a real race car driver. Film had par special effects to get the kid transitioning between video games (comfort zone) and the real tracks. I always enjoy seeing Djimon Hounsou (the father), and Orlando Bloom (Nissan promoter making this video to track a reality) carried his role well. David Harbour played our 'coach' and tbh I'm getting a little tired of him. Not a knock on him per se, but it seems to always be the same grumpy guy everyone depends upon. Archie Madekwe is Jann, our teen driver, and he does the role pretty well - he has a future, but won't be a top tier star.

We mix in the family aspects for Jann (lack of support from his dad), Harbour dealing with past ghosts of his own, and Bloom trying to navigate the racing world with his 'outsiders'. The main story isn't too deep nor too light, and the personal storylines don't become distracting. The entire execution is well done. I suppose if you know how much was 'made for the movies' and untrue to the real story, you might get miffed - wife and I were unburdened by that, and were able to enjoy it for what it presented. Nice kicker at the credits - the actual realy life video to track racer did all his own stunts/driving in this film.

Final: 7/10. Not awesome, or even great, but good. Decent date night film.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
No Escape (1994) <Amazon>

IMDB: A soldier convicted for murdering his commanding officer is dumped and left to die on a prison island inhabited by two camps of convicts.

TLB: Felt like going back to the 90's for some action, stumbled across a very young Ray Liotta and decided to check it out. For a film made in 1994, it is set in a somewhat dystopian far off future of ... 2024 :rolleyes3:. You will recognize 3-4 other faces, most notably Lance Henriksen, but three are a fistful of supporting actors from that era you will also know but not be able to name.

Premise is like a lot of these 'prison island' films where our hero gets thrown in there (rightly or wrongly) and has to survive. And, like many of these films, it is full of holes and poorly executed. Character wise, everyone is decently cast and does their role - though I'll point out our main protagonist 'Marek', leader of the bad group of convicts, as he is very 90's over the top in his cheesy role. Execution is...very dated. Warden's operations office with computers monitoring the island is filled with guys operating computers of green text screens and some oh-so-very 90's graphics. On the island, the good guys have a tinker making things from what washes up on the shore...including things that would never wash up on shore. To make an escape, he's built a boat and has an engine but lacks a distributor cap that is somehow on a shelf in storage with the bad guys...who's camp is littered with buildings and bricks that would never have been built on the island in the first place either. I swear, there is a pool in the bad guy camp that I've seen in more than one other 'prison island' type movie.

Final: 3.5/10 and most of that is just for seeing a young Ray Liotta. Really, you can better spend your time on better stories, better casts, and better execution.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
A Murder of Crows (1998) <Amazon>

IMDB: A disbarred lawyer takes credit for a late friend's book, which becomes a smash hit but the tables turn on him sooner than he suspected.

TLB: I've heard the phrase, but didn't connect it to a movie until I was going thru old 90's films. Bonus for this is we have a very young Cuba Gooding Jr as our central lawyer turned murder suspect, up against a reasonably young Tom Beringer (was he ever truly young?) as the local cop tracking him down.

We open with Cuba defending a rich client on a murder wrap, realizes his client is guilty and he can't stay on the case to spring him because his concience starts getting at him to do what is right. Judge comes down on him, he loses his bar license, and retires to the Keys for a life of a charter fishing captain. Note - this is the only time I think I have ever seen Cuba in a full beard...though he still has his sqeaky high voice throughout the film. A tourist shows up, goes fishing with him, strikes up a friendship and they talk a lot into the evening. Our tourist shares a story with Cuba which he had written up to be published as a novel...then suddenly our tourist dies. Cuba is left with a wonderful script about murdering lawyers, and absolutely no other person knows about it. There is no reconciliation of concience, but he publishes it as his own story since there are no traces to the tourist.

Then, things start to unwind and we find the killings in the story actually happened, with details in the story only the killer would know. Cuba has no way to prove he didn't write the story or do the killings (we skip over the obvious 'where were you when this occured'). Decent plot of him staying alive and trying to save his own butt while Beringer is tracking him down, how they unravel the mystery and try to set things right.

Final: 7.5/10. Meatier story with two actors giving a good performance. Yes, this film is a bit dated in it's production value, but we aren't worried about effects or a wide cast of characters - it's tight, focused, and stays on pace.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The Vow (2012) <Netflix>

IMDB: A car accident puts Paige in a coma, and when she wakes up with severe memory loss, her husband Leo works to win her heart again.

TLB: Wife started this up, then asked me to watch with her (so I sat in the same room, played on my phone, and called it 'Date Night'). Reminded me of 50 first dates, but this was most certainly not a comedy and took a much more serious approach to the situation of a wife losing her memory of who this man is claiming to be her husband. Channing Tatum played the patient husband, and we were brought through his emotional turmoil of missing the woman he fell in love with, trying to get her to remember what they had, but also at the same time trying to give her time and space to recover and figure it out for herself - forcing the situation wouldn't be productive in the long run, and he knows it. Meanwhile, Rachel McAdams ain't hard on the eyes as the wife. From her perspective, all memory is wiped out going back to a point in history before she ever met Tatum. In fact, she is far enough back to not know of the falling out she had with her family and friends, her total self-determined transformation that made her into the person Tatum found and married. So, he is trying to be supportive, even going to dinner with her family, all the while knowing she hated these people and how much they tried to control her life. The family, seizing on this opportunity to have Rachel back, start once again to shape her into the person they wanted her to be.

Over time, several of the family skeletons start falling out of the closets, and she realizes thier image isn't who she wants to be, and she begins to rediscover the interests that drew her away from them originally. Spoiler, but she doesn't get her memory back nor does she return to the person Tatum met and married, but she does once again break away from her family and go in her own direction, one that is open to getting to know Tatum again and explore what that life, that persona of her own choosing, might be like.

Final: 8/10. Very good/solid date night movie, chicks will love it. Your date will likely cry a bit, but you won't get yelled at for things the actors do in the movie. Decent supporting cast, but really focused on these two individuals, and about figuring out how/if they fit together going forward when one person has no recollection at all of who they used to be.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Life (2017) <Amazon>

IMDB: A team of scientists aboard the International Space Station discover a rapidly evolving life form that caused extinction on Mars and now threatens all life on Earth.

TLB: Space crew of about 6-7 people, with Jake Gyllenhaal (crew physician) and Rebecca Ferguson (Captain) as central characters. Rest of the crew you won't really know other than Ryan Reynolds, who has a semi-minor role in that he is his usual wise-cracking self up to the point he gets killed early on :) Main plot is a space crew are tasked with picking up a Mars rover returning with samples from the surface. In it, they discover a single, inert cell proving life on Mars. They try to get it back to life, succeed, then it starts terrorizing them on the ship as it grows. Like a lot of space movies, you feel like things may drag, but the don't really, not much. We go thru the paces of our monster growing in size and intellect, and our crew going down in numbers. Nothing too gory, more of a (low) suspense manuevering trying to stay alive. Film closes with a somewhat predictable twist, but they keep it hidden up to the last moment.

Final: 4.5/10 Okay, not great.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
"Battle for Afghanistan" was excellent by the way. Amazon Prime followed it up by suggesting "The Rifleman". That's good too. WW1 Latvian Russian Army conscripts eventually realize they've been had by the Bolsheviks and reform as Latvian defense forces. Well acted--dubbing was okay on this one.
View attachment 67579
* The all-time top grossing film in Latvia!
I watched The Rifleman last night… thumbs up!

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I know this is outside the recent genre list but we went to see the the prescreening of "Unsung Hero" last night. Tribute to moms (actually mums) everywhere that work to keep their families together. Be in theaters on 26 April. Good flick to take the whole family.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Mortal Engines (2018) <Prime>

IMDB: In a post-apocalyptic world where cities ride on wheels and consume each other to survive, two people meet in London and try to stop a conspiracy.

TLB: Premise is 1000 years after now our surface has crashing tectonic plates that has thrown continents into upheaval, destroying the concept of countries or borders. Now, Mega cities on track wheel carriages roam the landscape gobbling up smaller towns as resources. We follow the track-city of London as it is building a super weapon (what destroyed the planet 1000 y ago) as they gather some of the old tech needed and piece it back together so they can attack some wall for some reason.

Leading London is Thaddeus Valentine (Hugo Weaving of both LotR and our Agent Smith of the Matrix series). He's our villain, (re)building this ultimate weapon. Other leads are Hester Shaw (Hera Hilmar???) as a girl trying to get into the city to kill Valentine because he killed her mom 20y ago. She is paired with Tom (Robert Sheehan of the Umbrella Academy) who is a history tech guy of London's archives, betrayed by Valentine and cast into the wastelands. Part way thru we add in a Terminator type character hell bent on killing Hester...twisted plotline there, cool character but when he confronts her we get history and a blah conclusion.

Visually, nice given the steam punk look of cities on tracks, and some 'fliers' of the time and their airplanes (and the cloud city). But overall this film invested a good bit in production value for not a great delivery on story, setting, nor characters.

Final: 5/10. Could be worse, could definitely be better. Spend your time elsewhere, don't even go for the eye candy.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Dune: Part One (2021) <Netflix>

IMDB: A noble family becomes embroiled in a war for control over the galaxy's most valuable asset while its heir becomes troubled by visions of a dark future.

TLB: I recall the film(s) from 1984, but I was in 10th grade at the time and can only remember Sting was in it, not much else. As such, I'm not in a position to opine a comparison, I'm just taking this one as-is.

Storyline is about some futuristic existence, but is the fuedal arrangement of an emporer and several factions (houses) to whom he delegates territory and responsibilities. We have the planet Arrakis that has been conquered of sorts, where the House Harkonnen (violent bunch) has been harvesting 'spice' (makes interstellar travel possible, therefore the most valuable resource in existence). Emporer pulls Harkonnens off and sends in Duke Leto Atreides to take over, with his wife (part of some sect) and their son. Of course, the native inhabitents of Arrakis aren't too keen on having their planet invaded and are resistant to anyone.

Part One focuses on this change of management, and how the politics between houses and the emporer are creating betrayels; meanwhile Atreides has arrived and wishes to work with the natives as opposed to pushing them out of the way and pillaging the spice. I won't spoil the story more than that for now. I will conclude this part by saying the real focus is on the son, Paul who will assume the leadership of House Atreides but also inherits the hopes and expectations of his mothers sect which somewhat mixes with the legends of the Arrakis natives. He is pivotal to everything, whether he wants to be or not.

Visually, it is a very good and wide canvas of landscapes and settings with each faction well identified and shaped to match their intent/essence. I watched this on a rather large screen at home, but it is inspiring enough to see Part Two in theaters on a truly large screen. At 2.5h runtime for just Part One, it does feel at times that it may start to drag but it doesn't really...it just moves slowly, though things are still happening and unfolding. This isn't a special effects explosion or Sci-Fi for the sake of Sci-Fi....it is a decently told story, unfolding with the latest visual and auditory support and a fairly solid cast.

Final: 8.5/10, I'm looking forward to the relase of Part Two.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Aquaman 2 (Max) - Holy cow this was a crap show. So Aquaman isn't a fan of being king and splits his time on land with his baby son. Black Manta is out there still looking for revenge and finds an ancient power that allows him to unleash more global warming. He then stronger than ever starts to try and destroy the world with super global warming machines. Aquaman in need of help breaks his half brother Ocean Master our of jail and it becomes a buddy cop movie for them to stop it all. Sprinkle in messages about racism by fish people, immigration, etc and wholly cow this was bad. 4/10 only because there are a few funny moments thanks to Mamoa not giving two f*cks. I think he knew it was a stinker and he wasn't being asked back so just went with it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Aquaman 2 (Max) - Holy cow this was a crap show. So Aquaman isn't a fan of being king and splits his time on land with his baby son. Black Manta is out there still looking for revenge and finds an ancient power that allows him to unleash more global warming. He then stronger than ever starts to try and destroy the world with super global warming machines. Aquaman in need of help breaks his half brother Ocean Master our of jail and it becomes a buddy cop movie for them to stop it all. Sprinkle in messages about racism by fish people, immigration, etc and wholly cow this was bad. 4/10 only because there are a few funny moments thanks to Mamoa not giving two f*cks. I think he knew it was a stinker and he wasn't being asked back so just went with it.

I tried to get through the first aqua man movie this past weekend, couldn't do it. It's more garbage than that one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator