Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not a movie but finished up Westworld season 1...highly recommend this. A little slow at some points and you have to really pay attention but I really enjoyed it. Also Anthony Hopkins is awesome in it as usual

Last edited:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Atomic blonde- let’s get to the one scene everyone talks about. Way to short. This is the type of movie you can’t not pay attention to or may even need to see a few times to keep from missing stuff. It’s fast paced and all over the place. It’s a fun ride and the 80s theme and music is great. 7/10

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I saw The Gift recently, amazing psych thriller. If i say anything itll give away why its amazing. Its one of those movies the second it ends youre like damn. That was good.

Its on netflix and stars Jason Bateman as a douche bag high school kid who bullied Joel Edgerton. He moves back to town and runs into Joel but doesnt remember him. And thats when it all starts. Ill say it doesnt do something most thrillers do and thats why its great

Its on netflix

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Also thor Raganorok or whatever its called was great. Always wonder how Marvel movies get 90+ RT scores but this one was good. Very good humor and action

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not a big movie buff, just buff. I did watch Primal Fear tonight, with Richard Gere as Martin Vail, bad-boy lawyer; an outstanding murder/courtroom thriller, based on the book by the same name by William Diehl. I Googled to learn he has written 3 books in a series, but no sequel on film. Referenced as the Vail/Stampler series

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017): It's a good update to the previous movie. Instead of a board game it becomes a video game, and the people get sucked in (a la Tron) and become the avatar to their chosen characters. I'm not the biggest Jack Black fan, but he was really good in this as a teenage girl in a middle aged man's body. The Rock and Kevin Hart play well off each other. Basically, trapped in the game, have to complete the game to be released (same plot as the first movie). It's not the most well acted or intellectual movie, but it was a fun hour and 50 minutes. For entertainment value I would give it a 7/10.

Threat Matrix Matrix: no boobs were seen or harmed in this movie.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I Googled to learn he has written 3 books in a series, but no sequel on film. Referenced as the Vail/Stampler series

I did not know this. And while I take forever (KIDS!!!) to find time to read a book, I'd love to see how he would continue those characters.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Finally saw Justice League. Pretty good. Have to watch Thor Ragnarock next and Spiderman Homecoming...

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Game over man - on Netflix and stars the three guys from that office comedy on Comedy Central. I think it’s called workaholics.

They are hotel waiters/cleaning staff when terrorist take over the hotel to force a billionaire to give them money. They then go all die hard on it “comedically”.

Lots of killing in what is supposed to be funny ways. Fake blood a plenty. Lots of dick jokes and gay jokes. To much male genitalia.

Skip this movie. The jokes just aren’t funny and it’s not very good. 2/10.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Carriers. Kinda simple/stupid but short. If you get into it it has some emotions that will get you, especially if you have a brother.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Titan is not too bad. Enjoying it now.

Btw, it got stupid. Went off the tracks. Meh.

Last edited:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Win it all - has the white guy from lets be cops as a gambler with a problem and no direction in life. Also has a few people you know by face in supporting roles.

He comes home one night with a gangster acquaintance in his home. He tells him to hold a bag for him while he does a stint in jail. He naturally opens it drunk, discovers money, and gambles it away. From there it’s him trying to get the money back while going straight for a women.

It’s a little slow at first but when something happens the ball gets moving quicker and the last half hour sucked me in. 5/10

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Bright (2017)

Will Smith is the only face you will know in a story that is a future state alternate reality where we share earth with Elves (rich, elite) and Orcs (big, strong, dumber) and there is mention of dwarves but none seen. Storyline revolves around Will being partnered with the first Orc to be made a police officer in LA. History says 2000 yrs ago (convenient number) a dark evil was set to take over the world and an Orc united the 9 armies to defeat him with magic. Now, some bad elves are trying to bring him back a second time using magic wands that only 'Bright' persons can touch - typically elves, though rarely a human (no hint dropped there at all, no :shake:). Others are disintegrated if they touch a wand.

Smith deals with corrupt cops trying to get his partner kicked off the force because (racism) they don't like Orcs (they are essentially gang bangers at this point, having thrown in with the evil side since the great war). Despite getting shot because of his Orc partner, Smith is too good a guy to do that to his partner, though he does not want to be with him either. If you can swallow all this mulit-racial magic storyline, great - that got you through the first half the film. For the second half we point to a scene where Smith and his partner and some magic elf refugee are holed up and on the run and we pause the movie to have Smith explain exactly wtf is going on: We are on the run with a wand and an elf, with gangster Orcs trying to kill us for the wand, bad cops trying to kill us for the wand and because they don't like us, human gangsters trying to kill us for the wand, and evil elfs trying to kill us because they want the wand as well. And we can't call the (good elf) feds in for help, because Smith killed a handful of (bad) cops. Since the second half is a lot of explosions and shooting while on the run; throw in a scene about prophecy and resurrection, and sprinkle a healthy dose of swearing throughout the film (it fits the film, but I'm not used to that from the Fresh Prince).

The only boobs are somewhat plastic mannequin type of an elf who got magicked into a wall ornament. There is a brief romance in the beginning where we see Smith's attractive (white) wife and young daughter, but they are out of the film half way through and we never see enough of the wife.

Story earns 3/10, production value earns a 4/10 based on effort (elves, orcs, explosions) but doesn't make up for the rest, characters earn 4/10 (the partner is funny at times with how he processes things and appears slower in general). Overall I'm still struggling to give this better than 3/10. Skip it.

Last edited:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bright (2017)

Will Smith is the only face you will know in a story that is a future state alternate reality where we share earth with Elves (rich, elite) and Orcs (big, strong, dumber) and there is mention of dwarves but none seen. Storyline revolves around Will being partnered with the first Orc to be made a police officer in LA. History says 2000 yrs ago (convenient number) a dark evil was set to take over the world and an Orc united the 9 armies to defeat him with magic. Now, some bad elves are trying to bring him back a second time using magic wands that only 'Bright' persons can touch - typically elves, though rarely a human (no hint dropped there at all, no :shake:). Others are disintegrated if they touch a wand.

Smith deals with corrupt cops trying to get his partner kicked off the force because (racism) they don't like Orcs (they are essentially gang bangers at this point, having thrown in with the evil side since the great war). Despite getting shot because of his Orc partner, Smith is too good a guy to do that to his partner, though he does not want to be with him either. If you can swallow all this mulit-racial magic storyline, great - that got you through the first half the film. For the second half we point to a scene where Smith and his partner and some magic elf refugee are holed up and on the run and we pause the movie to have Smith explain exactly wtf is going on: We are on the run with a wand and an elf, with gangster Orcs trying to kill us for the wand, bad cops trying to kill us for the wand and because they don't like us, human gangsters trying to kill us for the wand, and evil elfs trying to kill us because they want the wand as well. And we can't call the (good elf) feds in for help, because Smith killed a handful of (bad) cops. Since the second half is a lot of explosions and shooting while on the run; throw in a scene about prophecy and resurrection, and sprinkle a healthy dose of swearing throughout the film (it fits the film, but I'm not used to that from the Fresh Prince).

The only boobs are somewhat plastic mannequin type of an elf who got magicked into a wall ornament. There is a brief romance in the beginning where we see Smith's attractive (white) wife and young daughter, but they are out of the film half way through and we never see enough of the wife.

Story earns 3/10, production value earns a 4/10 based on effort (elves, orcs, explosions) but doesn't make up for the rest, characters earn 4/10 (the partner is funny at times with how he processes things and appears slower in general). Overall I'm still struggling to give this better than 3/10. Skip it.
Good synopsis. I saw it and agree on all counts. It was kind of "Lord of the Rings" meets "Just About Every Cop Buddy Movie Ever Made Except These Cops Weren't Really Buddies".

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Game Over Man (2018) - Let me preface this with the wife and I have just finished watching the last season of workaholics and the movie is made by the same group, so we went in with an idea of the comedy. We expected it to be dumb, like real dumb. Like as dumb as URG is short (so really, really fcking dumb). It seemed to have cameos from every D list comedian that you know from that movie/show but don't know the name of in it. The humor isn't for the kiddos or for the easily offended, and by no means is it great. I found it a pleasant watch knowing what I was in for ahead of time. It is obviously a spoof on Die Hard. The wife and I found it so bad it was good, but that is what we expected to start with. From a quality of film stand point 2/10 from a entertainment standpoint 5.5/10.

ThreatMatrix Matrix: No boobs were seen or harmed in this movie, but might have helped a bit.

SQ/Casey/Tgator Matrix: at least one real cock and one fake cock were in this movie. Enjoy ladies.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Game Over Man (2018) - Let me preface this with the wife and I have just finished watching the last season of workaholics and the movie is made by the same group, so we went in with an idea of the comedy. We expected it to be dumb, like real dumb. Like as dumb as URG is short (so really, really fcking dumb). It seemed to have cameos from every D list comedian that you know from that movie/show but don't know the name of in it. The humor isn't for the kiddos or for the easily offended, and by no means is it great. I found it a pleasant watch knowing what I was in for ahead of time. It is obviously a spoof on Die Hard. The wife and I found it so bad it was good, but that is what we expected to start with. From a quality of film stand point 2/10 from a entertainment standpoint 5.5/10.

ThreatMatrix Matrix: No boobs were seen or harmed in this movie, but might have helped a bit.

SQ/Casey/Tgator Matrix: at least one real cock and one fake cock were in this movie. Enjoy ladies.
You die tonight!

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good synopsis. I saw it and agree on all counts. It was kind of "Lord of the Rings" meets "Just About Every Cop Buddy Movie Ever Made Except These Cops Weren't Really Buddies".
My favorite part was dealing with the fairy

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.