Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Speaking of Apollo 11 but off topic. We lived in Orlando in the 60’s. Got to see Apollo launches from my back yard.
My grandparents happened to fly in from NY for a launch. My grandfather got home and opened his suitcase and it wasn’t his. Turned out another passenger came to the same conclusion so we had to go back to exchange suitcases. The other passenger - Walter Cronkite.
Not too far off topic. Lot of audio in the movie of Cronkite! Great story, btw.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
When Captain Marvel was created by Stan Lee in 1967 he was a man. They killed him off in '82.
Then it was a women until '93.
A man until 2004
A chick until 2007
A man again until 2012 when we get the current version. Originally she was Ms. Marvel but somehow got Captain wings.

The movie takes place in '95 when Captain Marvel was a man so go figure.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
When Captain Marvel was created by Stan Lee in 1967 he was a man. They killed him off in '82.
A man until 2004
A chick until 2007
A man again until 2012 when we get the current version. Originally she was Ms. Marvel but somehow got Captain wings.

f7be5f9e45d8ec2fda05e4a95286692ea0c0c1ec40eb873af1f4ff8d1dfd2b10.jpg

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Yeah - I’m confused.
I think it’s explained here:

“The Carol Danvers character debuted in the title Marvel Super-Heroes as an officer in the United States Air Force and Security Chief of a restricted military base, where Danvers meets Dr. Walter Lawson, the human alias of alien Kree hero Captain Marvel.
In a later story, Danvers is caught in the explosion of a Kree device after trying to get close to Captain Marvel :naughty:
Although Captain Marvel manages to save her life, Danvers sustains serious injuries.”

Probably a mildly sprained ankle like all the women back in the day used to get, as they dramatically tripped over some slight change in elevation, while running from some monster or villain.

So... I think Captain Marvel was originally a dude.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Probably a mildly sprained ankle like all the women back in the day used to get, as they dramatically tripped over some slight change in elevation, while running from some monster or villain.

Which reminded me of this...(which of course got banned, and Nike had to apologize), which I thought was pretty funny.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Capt. Marvel was entertaining in a mind numbing way. Too many plots to bring together and too many jumps of imagination. ie:They can hop around Galaxies in hours but don't have Light Speed Technology./.......

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah - I’m confused.
I think it’s explained here:

“The Carol Danvers character debuted in the title Marvel Super-Heroes as an officer in the United States Air Force and Security Chief of a restricted military base, where Danvers meets Dr. Walter Lawson, the human alias of alien Kree hero Captain Marvel.
In a later story, Danvers is caught in the explosion of a Kree device after trying to get close to Captain Marvel :naughty:
Although Captain Marvel manages to save her life, Danvers sustains serious injuries.”

So... I think Captain Marvel was originally a dude.

and it was originally Captain Mar-Vel

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A man until 2004
A chick until 2007

The first female Captain Marvel is where the mutant Rogue got her super strength, flight, etc...

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We saw Captain Marvel last night. It was.........decent. They went at warp speed with the whole origin story, and the directing/writing weren't particularly that great. Still had the standard Marvel comedy, the cat was amazing, Samuel L. Jackson was great, and the 90's nostalgia/soundtrack were both highlights. I really wish they had gotten this film put together before Infinity War, but she's about to come kick some ass in Endgame. Only 7 weeks away! :stars:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Marvel crash and Burn?

The Rotten Tomatoes poll of “Do you want to see” dropped from the 90’s to 26%. It was such a disaster that Rotten Tomatoes, under studio pressure, removed the polling entirely from their site. That's is a story unto itself. In addition projected opening box office has been halved from the original high of $200M.

So what happened? Well Brie Larson happened. The wooden-faced unknown started doing interviews and fans were decidedly turned off. On a charisma scale of 1-10 she scores a 0. But that’s not the biggest problem. Brie has used her new found celebrity to preach Captain Marvel as an agenda film. She made comments that her previous film (no clue what it was) wasn’t for “white men”. Then she went on a rant that there were too many “white men” in her press corp, in effect suggesting they lose their jobs to diversify up the crew. So much for judging one by the contact of their character and not the color of their skin. It hasn’t helped a studio exec has doubled down on her comments and said that the film is not for “white men”. So while Brie is out pushing her feminist agenda it is also apparent that she has no personality.
Think about the charismatic actors that are part of Marvel and DCU: Robert Downey Jr. Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Josh Brolin, Chris Evans, Paul Rudd, Ryan Reynolds… I could go on and on. All actors with atmospheric Q scores. Of course I can’t leave out Gal Gadot. Gal may be the most likeable human in the Universe. And I don’t mean the make believe universe, I mean the real universe. Brie is the polar opposite. It’s too bad, I really wanted to see this movie in theaters but I’ll be waiting until it’s no-pay per view.
Talk about missing the point. Good grief. :lol2:

I'm glad Brie Larson said what she did so fragile little snowflake men such as yourself won't be sullying up the movie going experience for everyone else who isn't an assh*le.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

LOL. That sand in your vagina is really irritating isn't it.
It did $61M Domestic Thursday/Friday. So if it does $100M tonight it will see $160M. Let's see what word of mouth does to it next weekend once the fan boys are done seeing it.

In censorship news Rotten Tomotoes removed 40,000 reviews this morning that only pushed the audience rating from 31% to 36% with a total of only 5000 reviews. Now it sits at 52% with a total of 35,000 reviews. Even the industry shills known as critics only have it at 79%.
AND... Youtube has now classified it as "news worthy" meaning the search engine will return searches of main stream media outlets over all others.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
LOL. That sand in your vagina is really irritating isn't it.
It did $61M Domestic Thursday/Friday. So if it does $100M tonight it will see $160M. Let's see what word of mouth does to it next weekend once the fan boys are done seeing it.

In censorship news Rotten Tomotoes removed 40,000 reviews this morning that only pushed the audience rating from 31% to 36% with a total of only 5000 reviews. Now it sits at 52% with a total of 35,000 reviews. Even the industry shills known as critics only have it at 79%.
AND... Youtube has now classified it as "news worthy" meaning the search engine will return searches of main stream media outlets over all others.
It did almost $21M on Thursday and an additional $60M yesterday. Check your facts. And RT is protecting the integrity of their site now that a bunch of butthurt crybabies are review bombing it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It did almost $21M on Thursday and an additional $60M yesterday. Check your facts. And RT is protecting the integrity of their site now that a bunch of butthurt crybabies are review bombing it.

LOL “integrity”.

Can you even read?
“industry estimated $62M Friday (including $20.7M Thursday previews)”
Like Lboi you never bother to read what you post.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Color me unimpressed when folks are arguing on a college sports web site about movie ratings. Epitome of off season.

= = = = =

Took the son (10) to see Cpt. Marvel today - he had NONE of the background and just likes Marvel movies. I had a little background, thanks you to you guys providing links and allowing me to kill half a day at work reading up on the current and coming Marvel releases. Still, went in not really knowing what to expect other than "Marvel". Without being clouded by the history of the character being Male-Female-TG-OMG-WTF-BBQ, I took it at face value and enjoyed what was presented. It was a little tough for him to follow the parts where the Kree were rewinding her memories, or when Kree were impersonating other people (Dad, is he Kree? What about him? Ugh), but overall not too tough to follow. Nice to see Agent Coulson again, and a younger Fury. I very much appreciated the nostalgia of the 90's, knowing my son just viewed it as 'old'. Good action, decent story line with a twist or two. The expected good doses of humor - the cat, while being a late character, became my son's favorite. Overall fits well in the series, sets for a sequel, though I don't expect much from it. All in all, enjoyable (says the fanboy). I will admit, in my mind, I kept hearing the news quotes of 'not for you white males' and I kept staring at her boobs saying 'yeah, those are definitely for me'. 7.5/10

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The 2nd weekend will tell the tale, not the opening weekend. I think it'll drop hard as the reviews aren't good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb