Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I had heard that fans of the books/comics? didn't like the movie. Any idea why?

because of the differences... both the wife and I read it because we saw the author on a show we used to watch on G4TV. But there is no way they could have fit the stuff before the first trial and the full trails into the books there is too much stuff for a 2 hour movie.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I had heard that fans of the books/comics? didn't like the movie. Any idea why?

I tend to read a lot of the trivia on imdb for most movies I watch, including this one. I understand there was a lot of deviation from the written material based a bit on licensing (what described characters were unavailable for the film) and George Lucas wanting to keep as much of his older material out of it as possible (and it was heavily referenced in the written version). Additionally, I believe there was an issue such that the second challenge was significantly different from the written version for similar reasons (licensing, I believe).

For those of who didn't read the books/comics, it was fine how it was. I can see the book/comic loyalists feeling it was rewritten too much for the film and wasn't true enough to the source material.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I tend to read a lot of the trivia on imdb for most movies I watch, including this one. I understand there was a lot of deviation from the written material based a bit on licensing (what described characters were unavailable for the film) and George Lucas wanting to keep as much of his older material out of it as possible (and it was heavily referenced in the written version). Additionally, I believe there was an issue such that the second challenge was significantly different from the written version for similar reasons (licensing, I believe).

For those of who didn't read the books/comics, it was fine how it was. I can see the book/comic loyalists feeling it was rewritten too much for the film and wasn't true enough to the source material.

Book, and there in lies the problem... also the reference in the book were heavily more 80s/early 90s... where the movie brought in characters from the 00's and later as well. But it's the differences between book and film.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Couple I have seen recently

Always Be My Maybe (Netflix)
- This one has Randall Park in it who I find funny and is a nice little movie to watch with the wife. Follows two friends from childhood until high school when a fight separates them for years. Years later they meet back up and their lives come back together in a descent little comedy. 6.5/10

Murder Mystery (Netflix) - New film starring Jennifer Aniston and Gemma Arterton. Also has some guy named Adam Sandler in it, but he's not what you look at. Anyway a failed detective and hair dresser have been married 15 years and never taken a honeymoon. After a fight he takes her to Europe like he always promised and on the way out there they meet the nephew of a Billionaire who invites them for a weekend on his uncles yaucht. From there murders occur and they become the prime suspects and have to solve the crime to clear their name. Compared to some of Sandler's recent movies this one isn't that bad and can be also used to view with the wife. No boobs and not enough smoke show from Aniston in this one. It has it's moments and a few times it will make you laugh how they banter with each other and take in the drama unfolding around them. There were many moments where if in the same situation my wife and me would be saying the same things. 6.5/10

Support the Girls - Marketed as a comedy its a low rent drama based around the girls that work at a Hooters type restaurant. No boobs shown, you get a peak at a nipple, but other than some skimpy outfits nothing of merit here including the story. 3/10

Captain Marvel - Finally got around to seeing this one. It's a nice little Marvel filler movie in between the bigger releases. I liked it, but didn't feel it lived up to the hype. It didn't help that the I felt that Larson felt overshadowed at times by the performances of some of the other players in the movie. It is worth seeing if you are a fan, but I'm not sure it would crack my top 10 of MCU movies. However the sequel opportunities are endless with this one since they set it in the 90s. My only question was did they explain how she didn't age between this and Endgame or is it just assumed by her powers? 7/10

Other than that the Queen Ginger has been on a Hallmark kick lately so I've been spending some quality time with her watching some of those. I can review them as needed, but I think most know they are all the same.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Do we have one of these threads for books? Does anyone even read anymore lol?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
ANИA -

I have been waiting for this because it’s my thing and because I’m a HUGE Luc Besson fan, especially as a writer, only sometimes as a director. He did great in both roles on this one. It’s La Femme Nikita (Besson), Leon: The Professional (Besson), SALT, Red Sparrow, and John Wick I rolled into one (Sash > Keanu in fight scenes that were really seamless... never that one guy waiting to be hit while she hit another). If you liked any of those, you’ll like this. Really interesting timeline jumps too. Several good plot twists too, not going to say more. With 45 minutes left, I really didn’t know how they were going to sew things up, but he did it well and complete, not rushed or jammed in.

Personally, I liked because it was another Russian female survivor story done right (played by an actual Russian for once).

I liked the cover of David Bowie’s “This is not America” Platini really quietly AT the end too.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018): Ouch, the first movie wasn't great but it was robots fighting monsters. The original's story especially the forced love story sucked, but it was robots fighting monsters. But HBO had Uprising so thought we would give it a shot. The story was worse than the first one, and the action wasn't as good. The story of Uprising sucked as much at Urg does on the midget version of the Pulse Nightclub. It was a waste of some decent actors, and it could have been real fun, but it wasn't. I give it a solid 3.5/10.

ThreatMatrix Matrix: none... could have used more.

Men In Black: International (2019): Boring as fck. The whole movie was about waiting for it to get interesting. I liked the actors in the film. The story could have been decent, but it felt kind of like trying to make Men in Black more James Bond at points and they are too different. The writing of the dialog was garbage. The dialog was garbage. The whole movie felt like it was waiting for something exciting to happen and it never did. The only really good action piece happened at the end of the first act/beginning of the second act of the movie. The rest of the action was blah. It had minimal laughs, where the other three movies at least played up the comedy. This was a real miss. I'm glad we only paid $5 a ticket on it. It gets a solid 4/10.

ThreatMatrix Matrix: no boobs in this one...

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My only question was did they explain how she didn't age between this and Endgame or is it just assumed by her powers? 7/10
Yeah I'm thinking her powers prevent aging, she's half alien now and those mofos live for centuries.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
OK, so not out until November, but I am totally onboard and will go to Gainesville just to see it on the super duper big screen (forget the letters, but bigger than IMAX) with the reclining chairs. I remember going to the Mai Kai theater in 1976 when the original Midway came out. It was one of the first (if not first) movies (and theaters) to use some kind of "sensory sound" that shook the theater when bombs hit. Anyway, Emmerich much better than Bay, so I'm in.

Ah, I found this about the sound...

This was the second film to be presented in "Sensurround", a special low-frequency bass speaker setup consisting of four huge speakers loaned by distributors to select theatres showing the film. This system was employed only during certain sequences of the film, and was so powerful that it actually cracked plaster at some movie theaters. "Sensurround" was employed in only three other films released by Universal: Earthquake(1974), Rollercoaster (1977), and the theatrical release of Battlestar Galactica (1978).

And for old people that appreciate old shyt... here is info on the Mai Kai theater.. it was awesome, especially when you figure theaters today seat 2-300 tops.

One of the last Detroit-area theaters built with a full stage and orchestra pit, the Mai Kai was built for Nicholas George in 1963 at a cost of over $1. 5 million. It could seat over 1400 and decorated in Polynesian style, as its name would imply, though it had all the most up-to-date amenities of a 60s-era movie house, including both 35mm and 70mm projectors, a huge 60' by 27'; screen, and comfortable seating. On opening night, the stars of the first movie to play the Mai Kai, Son of Flubber, Tommy Kirk and Annette Funicello, were in attendance. Also, the Mai Kai Orchestra performed, for the first and last time.

The theater's management claimed that the Mai Kai's parking lot could hold more than 3000 cars, but the true number was closer to 500. Though several times throughout the 70s there was talk of dividing the auditorium into a twin or more screens, the Mai Kai remained a single screen until it closed, in 1987, a year after the theater was acquired by AMC. During the 70s and into the 80s, the Mai Kai was one of the more popular area venues to see event films like Superman or the original Star Wars trilogy, in large part due to its vast screen. The Mai Kai was reopened in 1988 as the Omni Star Theatre, after close to half a million dollars was said to have been spent remodeling the former movie theater into a live perfomance venue.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We saw Yesterday yesterday. If you like The Beatles, you’ll love the movie. If you don’t like The Beatles, take a step back and figure out where your life went so wrong, then work to improve yourself and start enjoying The Beatles. Then go see the movie and enjoy it.

It wasn’t perfect, but it was a great feel-good movie with an even better premise. We both liked it a lot.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse - Finally caught this with my son in the hospital room last week (he's fine after appendix out). It's been covered plenty in here, but I liked it. The animation styles took a little getting used to, but was a really solid flick. 7.5/10

Mid-90's (Prime) - This one had a lot of indy buzz this year so I figured I would check it out. Based around a kid trying to get into the skating world and escaping his dysfunctional life at home. Not my cup of tea, but others may enjoy. 3/10

First Man - This one is a descent movie. Interesting story with parts you didn't know, but depending on how accurate Hollywood told them that may change. Boring at times and drug in parts. They could have shaved a little off of this one. 6.5/10

The Mule - Clint Eastwood's newest film and one that I have been looking forward to watching. Starts out 15 years prior to where he is a successful arborist that seriously neglects his family for work. Fast forward to years later and he has been put out of business by the changing times, mostly the internet, his family has left him and he has nothing. Trying to reconcile with his family he starts running drugs for the cartel so he can pay for his grandchild's education and wedding. His old man demeanor starts to win over his handlers and he starts taking in record hauls before the DEA is on his trail, but not sure who or what they are looking for.

I liked this movie. Not saying I would re-watch it regularly, but I liked it. At times watching an aged Eastwood is tough considering who he used to be, but he plays the old man out of touch with the world well, similar to Gran Torino in his demeanor. Bradley Copper and Michael Pena are the DEA agents on his trail and both do a very fine job in their roles. There are some boobs in one scene at a cartel party that are pretty fantastic. 8/10

Up next - The Frontrunner and The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator