Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TLB, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $9,598
    Ratings:
    +17,988 / -237
    Talked the wife into watching RUSH on prime last night. Formula 1 movie about the rivalry back in the 70s between Niki Lauda and James Hunt. Great movie. The wife enjoyed it even though she's not a big race fan or anything like that. Not a technical movie. Mostly human drama that follows the nerdy, analytical German Lauda as he routinely crosses paths in the hyper-competitive world of racing with the flamboyant, good looking party animal Hunt. A good deal of the movie deals with the horrifying crash Lauda had at Nurburgring and his difficult recovery from the massive burns that resulted. Pretty sure anyone here would like this movie.

• ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix In shambles
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $8,512
      Ratings:
      +16,120 / -640
      Thanks. That was a hoot.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $5,938
        Ratings:
        +8,489 / -114
        Gemini Man (2019)

The recent Will Smith film, where he is a retired sniper but his old boss cloned him and sends the younger clone to kill the original. Add in a semi-hot gov't agent that gets burned and he protects, and a friend or two along the way from 'the good old days' who get killed because. And there! I've spoiled it for yo...uh, saved you from wasting your time. Action sequences are ok, but not great. Plot is paper thin, and as subtle as a fire engine wailing down your street. The only decent thing is maybe the special effects (and almost a thought of a nod to the concept...but not), on how they have old and young Will talking too each other. Don't waste your time, there are better ways to waste your time. Doesn't utterly suck. 5/10.

John Wick 3 - Parabellum (2019)

I believe the premise is that all 3 films take place over a short time frame (24h?) so maybe I'm missing something watching part 3 months after I'd seen the first two. If you know the first two, you know this one, priority is to set records for bullets fired and people killed in a film. Sometimes there is dialogue that moves the story along, but gunfire is the primary language. Lots of action, to include a middle segment with Halley Barry and her attack dogs, so we're pet friendly. How old is she now? She's still got it going on. Plot line is acceptable, given the first two, and I won't spoil that one, but it does hold the shootouts together. Great colors on the screen, a lot of ways to die, and did I mention a lot of gunfire? We've even got an underwater shooting! I'll admit, I write this with 30m left, and I've been surfing all the while on another screen = not really holding my attention. I will admit some visually great backgrounds for some of the fight scenes as they get blown up and destroyed. If you want another John Wick shoot-em-up, go for it, you'll get what you're after. If you want kick ass action sequences...it's getting a bit cliche and meh. If you want something meaningful, you took a wrong turn somewhere and it's your fault, not mine. Upper end of good, nowhere near great. 6.5/10

• ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix In shambles
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $8,512
          Ratings:
          +16,120 / -640
          I'm thinking of breaking down and watching Star Wars 9.
          God have mercy on my soul.

• G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator Intrepid Chauvinist
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $4,414
            Ratings:
            +4,477 / -297
            Haven't see that one yet. One question -- do Halle Berry's attack dogs survive the film? And to be clear I'm asking about her attack dogs, not her puppies.

[​IMG]

I don't like any movie in which a dog dies, except for the first John Wick. In that one his dog does get killed at the beginning, but then he spends the rest of the movie wiping out the whole entire Russian Mafia over it, from bottom to top. So I'm okay with that. It was an appropriate response IMO.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $5,938
              Ratings:
              +8,489 / -114
              She has 3-ish, and one dies. We see Wick's in the beginning and end of the film, minor role, survives.

• G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator Intrepid Chauvinist
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $4,414
                Ratings:
                +4,477 / -297
                Hmmm. Is there sufficiently violent revenge for the one who gets killed?

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $9,388
                Ratings:
                +16,015 / -89
                John Wick was a great movie... the other two sucked.

• CGgater

CGgater Gainesville Native

Oxbucks:
                $6,773
                Ratings:
                +9,397 / -140
                In an attempt to earn the title of “understatement of the year”... Yes.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $5,938
                  Ratings:
                  +8,489 / -114
                  Not really. Though, she frequently commands the dogs to attack, and several criminal crotches feel the bite frequently.

• CGgater

CGgater Gainesville Native

Oxbucks:
                  $6,773
                  Ratings:
                  +9,397 / -140
                  Oops. I thought he was asking about the first movie.

• gingerlover

gingerlover Junior Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $1,486
                  Ratings:
                  +2,497 / -17
                  Blow the Man Down (Prime) - marketed as a black comedy. About two sisters that live in a NE fishing town with a hidden seedy underbelly. One night the rebellious sister meets a dirtbag at the bar. He tries to kill her and in self defense she gets him. The sister helps her cover it up. From there it’s them trying to get away with it while the other women in towns past start to bubble up and cause problems.

Let’s just say this isn’t funny. It’s a boring little movie with an ok payoff in the end. If your bored and watch this you will still be bored. This is the type of movie critics will rave about as this smart film the general public just doesn’t understand and in reality it just sucks. 4/10