Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Knives Out (2019): The movie has a fantastic cast, which is what might have made this a bit disappointing for me. It's premise is that the patriarch of the family is found dead the morning after his 85th birthday. Then the mystery unfolds. The movie wasn't bad, but it had a lot of potential that seemed wasted. At the end it got a little predictable, and by the time the whole "who done it is explained" other than a few pieces it was pretty obvious. Over all it was longer than it should have been but decently entertaining 6/10.

ThreatMatrix matrix: No Boobs or Butts... but could have used some.

Teen Titans Go vs Teen Titans (2019): Daughter loves her some Teen Titans Go, so we watched this one night this weekend. The movie is as goofy and odd ball as expected. Taking the serious Teen Titans vs the zany Teen Titans Go counterparts and they do battle early then team up (because you would never see that coming). It is silly and stupid, but what do you expect from this team. 7/10.

ThreatMatrix matrix: No Boobs or Butts..... but Urg jerks off to it anyway.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Knives Out (2019): The movie has a fantastic cast, which is what might have made this a bit disappointing for me. It's premise is that the patriarch of the family is found dead the morning after his 85th birthday. Then the mystery unfolds. The movie wasn't bad, but it had a lot of potential that seemed wasted. At the end it got a little predictable, and by the time the whole "who done it is explained" other than a few pieces it was pretty obvious. Over all it was longer than it should have been but decently entertaining 6/10.

ThreatMatrix matrix: No Boobs or Butts... but could have used some.

Teen Titans Go vs Teen Titans (2019): Daughter loves her some Teen Titans Go, so we watched this one night this weekend. The movie is as goofy and odd ball as expected. Taking the serious Teen Titans vs the zany Teen Titans Go counterparts and they do battle early then team up (because you would never see that coming). It is silly and stupid, but what do you expect from this team. 7/10.

ThreatMatrix matrix: No Boobs or Butts..... but Urg jerks off to it anyway.
I can't take you seriously if you rate a teen titans movie over knives out. Are you siskel or ebert?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Sand Pebbles

1966 Panavision film starring Steve McQueen and Candice Bergan. Set in China in the late 1920s when Chaing Kai Shek is taking over. McQueen is a Navy Petty Officer aboard a dysfunctional US gunboat patrolling the river. Epic 3 hour movie dealing with the relations with the Chinese breaking down leading to the eventual outbreak of hostilities and the need to launch a rescue mission to save some missionaries. I thought it was great, 8/10 for me. Rented it on Amazon Prime.

iu

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can't take you seriously if you rate a teen titans movie over knives out. Are you siskel or ebert?

Different expectations.... just based on being two movies knives out is a better movie. But it's a movie we have all seen before. Titans isn't about being a great movie, its about being stupid and funny and putting a smile on my daughters face.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Sand Pebbles

1966 Panavision film starring Steve McQueen and Candice Bergan. Set in China in the late 1920s when Chaing Kai Shek is taking over. McQueen is a Navy Petty Officer aboard a dysfunctional US gunboat patrolling the river. Epic 3 hour movie dealing with the relations with the Chinese breaking down leading to the eventual outbreak of hostilities and the need to launch a rescue mission to save some missionaries. I thought it was great, 8/10 for me. Rented it on Amazon Prime.

iu
Great movie. It’s one of several McQueen movies I have in my old fashion DVD collection. Had a really good cast and a good story. McQueen was sort of a rebel, a role he played in a lot of his movies as well as in real life. The romantic parts he usually played make you think (like a father) that you can see why the girls are attracted to him, but you’d be against the relationship. Whole-heartedly agree with Zambo’s assessment. It’s worth a watch.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Time off has got me watching some oldies. Recently viewed Hard Times, a period piece set in depression era Louisiana/New Orleans. Charles Bronson plays Chaney, a drifter who meets up with Speed (James Coburn), a ne’er do well street fight promoter who’s looking for a big payday. Though he looks a little ”past it,” Chaney turns out to be quite the pugilist. Together, along with Poe (Strother Martin), their layman fight doctor, they set about to earn enough money to get a big money fight with a New Orleans’ high roller.

Coburn plays the slick talking, unscrupulous hustler to a tee and eventually busts up his profitable relationship with Chaney. At the end, Chaney has to come to his rescue and fight another big money match, putting up his own winnings to free Speed, who is being held for not paying debts incurred to the loan sharks to set up the previous big fight.

There’s a lot of brawling with a little romance mixed in. Jill Ireland, Bronson’s wife in real life, plays Chaney’s consort. All in all, Hard Times is a good period piece with quite a bit of detail for the setting and a lot of action. Not sure if this is a good date night movie, however. Most guys usually enjoy it, unless they’re...well, you know.

upload_2020-4-7_8-49-47.jpeg

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great movie. It’s one of several McQueen movies I have in my old fashion DVD collection. Had a really good cast and a good story. McQueen was sort of a rebel, a role he played in a lot of his movies as well as in real life. The romantic parts he usually played make you think (like a father) that you can see why the girls are attracted to him, but you’d be against the relationship. Whole-heartedly agree with Zambo’s assessment. It’s worth a watch.
McQueen was also a Baja and off road racer. A few other actors were as well, such as James Garner, Larry Wilcox (Chips) and others.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Different expectations.... just based on being two movies knives out is a better movie. But it's a movie we have all seen before. Titans isn't about being a great movie, its about being stupid and funny and putting a smile on my daughters face.
I thought Knives Out was unique. Or at least a unique take on a tired trope. But then again I don't watch a lot of slasher films. I laughed out loud when, spoiler, the boyfriend blew up all over her.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Rewatched two good ones last night.
Yesterday (2019). If you're nostalgic about The Beatles or even if you're not this is a fun film with a happy ending. You may know the plot. Jack a struggling singer-songwriter is about to give up his dream despite his devoted childhood best friend/manager, Ellie (who has a crush on him). The lights go out all over the world and Jack wakes up to discover that The Beatles have never existed (and a few other things). He performs their songs and becomes a star separating him from Ellie. He struggles over being a fraud and leaving behind the girl he didn't know he loved behind. Joe-Bob loved it.
The Nice Guys (2016). Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling are 70's era private dicks in search of a missing girl. I don't need to say much more about the plot. It's entertaining and fun. Many, many boobs. Joe-Bob says check it out.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We watched Knives Out at some point in the last few weeks. It was very well written, but for some reason I wasn't overly impressed by the film itself. Some of the subtle humor was brilliant, like each time one of the family members named a different, incorrect country that the nurse Marta had come from. Maybe I just thought the plot itself was a little contrived and over the top? I don't know. I wanted to like it more than I did.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Onward - watched on Disney Plus since stuck in the house. Follows two brothers in a world where magic used to exist and then forgotten as technology took over. They find a spell to try and bring back their dad to have one more day as he died before the youngest was born. Adventure sets in as they try to find the stone needed to complete the spell.

Meh. It’s ok but far from Pixar’s best. It has the iconic moment that tries to make adults cry as the kids don’t understand the magnitude of the moment but one of the first Pixar movies I could never watch again. It’s better than Good Dinosaur and Cars 2 but that’s about it. 5/10

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Rambo: Last Blood (Prime) - Caught this on prime last night. Low expectations is something to consider here as you know essentially what your getting with Stallone rehashing these characters once again. Plot picks up with a old man Rambo living somewhat of a peaceful life. He is the "uncle/surrogate' father to a high school senior and lives with her and the grandmother on his ranch. She, against his wishes, seeks out her father in Mexico and ends up being kidnapped and forced into human trafficking. As you can imagine this does not sit well with old Rambo and he sets out on his rescue mission to save her.

I will say this went in a direction I wasn't expecting with some outcomes. However you will have plenty of awesome kills in this. Remember low expectations. 6/10

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Annihilation: watched it to the bitter end at 1:30 in the morning. Too many plot holes to count. Sucked.

10:46 in the evening. Loved it. I tend not to notice or care about plot holes, as I 'go for the ride' = less think, more watch. Visually aesthetic, with an interesting take on a common 'alien' theme. Mostly, I really enjoyed the visual ride as they progressed deeper into the shimmer and came to terms with what they encountered. I wasn't looking for a deep film, but I can see where some try to interpret this as such. Though, to me, it was just a cool ride. It's not for everyone, but I suppose a lot hinges on what expectations you carry into it. For me, I had none, and wasn't disappointed.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
10:46 in the evening. Loved it. I tend not to notice or care about plot holes, as I 'go for the ride' = less think, more watch. Visually aesthetic, with an interesting take on a common 'alien' theme. Mostly, I really enjoyed the visual ride as they progressed deeper into the shimmer and came to terms with what they encountered. I wasn't looking for a deep film, but I can see where some try to interpret this as such. Though, to me, it was just a cool ride. It's not for everyone, but I suppose a lot hinges on what expectations you carry into it. For me, I had none, and wasn't disappointed.
I'm with ya, I just wanted to write that. I did watch the whole thing and agree completely about the visuals, I just kept thinking it was going to be "more," but it never quite got there.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The Big Short: Just watched it for the first time, with Son #2. It's a 2 hour movie that took us 4.5 hours to watch with all the "pause 'n discuss" life lessons. It's a great movie.

Everyone should watch this movie right now and think and reflect and figure out where they stand in the chain today.

Oh, and there are boobs, but sadly, not Margot Robbie's. 9/10. Woulda got a 10/10 with more boobs.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Trolls World Tour (2020): Rented this for the daughter as part of the Easter weekend. I'm not a huge trolls fan, but it's entertaining enough. The plot is that the "Rock" Trolls are trying to take over all the other Troll worlds, Pop, Country, Funk, Classical, and that Rock is going to be the only music left in the world, along with Queen Poppy having to learn how to be queen. A bunch of music, it is about what you expect from the movie. I give it a 6/10, daughter gave it a 9/10.

ThreatMatrix matrix: No Boobs or Butts, but URG was happy to see characters he is almost as tall as.

Crawl (2019): Movie starts out in a UF (Go Gators) swim team practice. They go out of their way to let us know she goes to UF and is a Gator. We find out that their is a Cat 5 hurricane (weakest cat 5 I've ever seen) coming to Pasco county area. The swimmer can't contact her dad and is being annoyed by her sister, so she drives to his house in Pasco, picks up the dog... then while looking for him ends up in the crawl space with at least one gator and her wounded dad (Barry Pepper - sniper from Saving Private Ryan). Then a lot of ridiculous things happen, and anyone who grew up in Florida especially swimming in Gator infested areas would see through 95% of the incidents are not realistic. It's a fun watch though, being you know what it is going in. Knowing what you are getting into it's a 6.5/10.

ThreatMatrix matrix: no boobs or butts in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator