Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
tenor.gif

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Casablanca

I'll write a review for this awesome classic movie because I had the chance to watch again today for the first time in many years. The basic story is there is a jaded American named Rick (Bogart) who runs a bar in Casablanca after the Germans occupied Paris. Many people trying to flee Europe via Casablanca but permits are very hard to come by. Rick comes into possession of a couple when a smuggler gets nabbed by the Nazis. He really doesn't care about them until his old fling from Paris, Ingrid Bergman, shows up out of the blue with her husband who is a dissident leader. The plot revolves around dodging Nazis, the local cops (Claude Raines is awesome as the French police captain), resolving the relationship with Bergman, and making an escape. One of the truly great films. And BTW, Ingrid Bergman is incredibly hot.

My favorite movie. Caught it again on TCM the other night. Quick & witty dialogue throughout, signature roles for many greats including Bogart, Bergman & Claude Raines, enduring catchphrases, compelling plot with twists and all wrapped around a simple but infectious song. Love and war.

Funny thing is, it wasn’t expected to be special, another movie rolling off of essentially an assembly line in a very short time. But the mix of world events, writers, actors and director made absolute gold. And it holds up after all these years.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The Babadook (2014)

Aussie film, billed as Drama-Horror. Focus is on a mother raising her son turning 7. The father died in a car crash getting mom to hospital for delivery. Kid is always fighting imaginary monsters, and needs cuddling at night out of fear, he has a lot of social issues. The mom can't get him to be normal and is barely holding it together, when a book suddenly appears and they read it for night-time. The story alludes to "let me in and you'll wish you were dead" per the monster in the book, the Babadook. By the second page, kid is freaked, mom reads the rest to herself while telling him it's happily ever after. This occurs about 45-50min into the film, and to that point it is a very slow drag of their world falling apart. At that point, it becomes akin to the exorcist on meth. For the climax, she basically yells at the beast to leave her son alone or she'll kill it, and it runs out the front door. We close with a fairly unclear setttled state by which 'something' is living in the basement but they are at peace with things, including what's in the basement.

One can take this as a horror, and be mind numbed to the midpoint then enjoying the back half. Or, one can take it as a physical metaphor of their grief over losing the father figure. Or, one can walk away wondering what the hell did I just watch. Another one of those 'many hate it, a few love it'. I'll give it 5/10.

ThreatMatrix rating - best you get is the mom fingering herself under the covers and getting interrupted. Meh.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Had a long deadhead today, so I finally watched The Birdbox. I'm usually not into sci-fi or horror films but this was pretty cool IMO. I didn't know John Malkovich was in it so that was a nifty bonus. I thought they way they introduced the "thing that kills everybody" was pretty cool.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Had a long deadhead today, so I finally watched The Birdbox. I'm usually not into sci-fi or horror films but this was pretty cool IMO. I didn't know John Malkovich was in it so that was a nifty bonus. I thought they way they introduced the "thing that kills everybody" was pretty cool.

is this the one with a blindfolded Sandra Bullock?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Thought I was watching the beginning of that movie a few days ago. Turns out it was just CNN talking about COVID19.

But surprisingly this is one I’ve actually seen recently. I wasn’t a fan of the movie, which I found overly stressful and frustrating. But agree on Malkovich being a bright spot. His scenes seem to always be the element of any movie that you have to stop and watch. To me, he made the Ted Bundy movie also, which I admittedly only watched in passing. He just crushes every role.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Very good movie except for the ending scene. Bullock and Malkovich did great.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Onward (2020)

Pixar flick about two elven brothers who set out on a quest to use magic (long abandoned in society) to bring their dad back for one day only. He passed when the younger was born, and the older brother only has a few memories of him. Decent flick, a few good laughs, a few moments that make the more emotional viewers cry (and the rest of us laugh at them). Not great, not bad. Just a hair under normal Pixar standards but still worth the watch. 7/10.

Lean on Me (1989)

Based on a true story, Morgan Freeman plays a teacher from the 60's transferred out of his school for tying to teach the kids rather than process them thru. Skip ahead 20y and the Mayor brings him back to be principal and bring order to the school such that the students will learn. More specifically, if less than 75% of the students can pass the Basic Skills Test, the state will take over. Last year, only 38% pass. 'Crazy Joe' Clark (Freeman) returns to a high school riddled with drug dealing, fighting, and utter chaos overall. He is drastic with his changes, often upsetting those he must rely upon...and periodically, those folks in turn help HIM learn a thing or two. Overall, it's a feel good film, but it shows it's age. 6/10.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I've been able to catch up on a few things the last week.

Extraction (Netflix) - Stars Thor as a mercenary that specializes in going into tough places to extract people. In India there is a drug war going on and one of the kingpin's son's is kidnapped. Thor is sent in to rescue him and is betrayed along the way. Can he get the kid out alive?

This one was a descent action flick. Thor has turned into a pretty descent actor and it has a few others pop up you know. 6/10

1917 - Has a few big names cameo, but focuses on two young soldiers who are given orders to try and get an urgent message across enemy lines in WW1. Shot in an amazing single take you follow the lead through hell as he tries to get the message there to save his comrades from a trap. This movie is a good war movie. Not top group, but higher than most. I enjoyed it and the action. The single take made it more intense as well and for this movie was a really good call. 7/10

Spencer (Netflix) - Marky Mark is a former cop who went to prison for assaulting a high ranking dirty cop. He comes out of prison with a price on his head and is thrown into a murder conspiracy of one of the good cops he knew. Living in his halfway house he is helped by his roommate and grandfather type figure (Arkin) while they help him try to solve the crime. He also has to avoid his ex while running around town as well. In the end this movie has some funny and some action. It's another one of those roles that Marky Mark has gotten good at and was not a bad movie that sets up for a series. 6.5/10

Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn - Harley fresh off her break-up with the Joker manages to make an enemy with every bad guy in town. She crosses paths with a cop , lounge singer, pick pocket and assassin as they are all entangled with the Black Mask (McGreggor) who has taken power in Gotham. The story revolves around her, Black Canary, Huntress and the cop having to protect a young Batgirl/Black Bat from the black mass as she has stolen something from him. Plenty of hijinx and some descent action. Robbie is a great Quinn as well and great to look at.

This movie was a little messy and I can't put my finger on exactly what was wrong other than a few of the cast just were not up to snuff and DC just keeps throwing back stories out the window and have just decided to use these names and then make up stuff to go along with it. It is also hard putting something that would be so high profile in Gotham and Batman be nowhere around to help. Robbie & McGreggor were the bright spots. Perez and Black Canary were ok, but Winstead as Huntress just didn't click. As for most DC movies better luck next time. 6/10

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Have a few more to add

Wrong Missy (Netflix) - Stars David Spade, who is underrated in my opinion. He is a straight laced guy who is in line for a big promotion. He has recently met two women. I psychotic blind date and a beautiful woman that is perfect for him. The company has a big trip to Hawaii and he accidentally invites the wrong one.

It's not that bad of a quick Netflix movie. The psycho is a little over the top and unbelievable that these things are happening, but not the worst. 5.5/10

Brittany Runs A Marathon (Prime) - Overweight woman that parties way to hard decides to get her life together. It is marketed as a comedy, but once again is far from it. It has funny moments, but much more dramatic than funny. It's not to bad of a date night movie though as she finds out what and who is important as she remakes her life. 6/10

A Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood
-

The Mr. Rogers movie starring Tom Hanks. He isn't the main character and just in the background. Story centers around a writer that has made his career exposing people for what they really are. When he is told to write a puff peace on Mr. Rogers he sets out to expose him. Through their interactions and Mr. Rogers showing true that he is who you want to believe he is the main character starts to let go of his anger and hate from a rough life and find peace to better himself moving forward and making amends with those around him. Based on a true story.

I always find these things on Mr. Rogers fascinating. He is truly a person that could not exist in today's world. People just would not let someone like that exist, but yet those same people remember how much of a great person Fred Rogers was. 7.5/10

Richard Jewell - Based on what the FBI and media put Richard Jewell through following the Atlanta Olympics bombing. A dive into how easily they can ruin and destroy your life without needing any true evidence and they will never apologize for it. Movie was well done with a great cast. I find it even more interesting is when this movie was protested, it wasn't because of the accuracy of the facts portrayed, but over how they made the main journalist look like she slept around for info. Sam Rockwell was fantastic as usual and the guy they had play Jewell was done well also. To tell you how much the local media buried him being cleared, I grew up in Atlanta at this time. I still for the longest thought he was the guy accused years later because it just disappeared one day. Only when I got older and read more did I see that he was innocent. I couldn't imagine something of this magnitude following me around for the rest of my life. 7.5/10

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
FTR, with lockdown ad infinitum, we've instituted family movie night on Sundays. We rotate who picks a flick between son (11) > daughter (14) > wife > me. I've not listed all we've watched to date, but I will comment that the wife was adamant about watching 'Stand By Me' which the kids were fairly indifferent about. The entire film, wife kept saying 'this isn't what I was thinking of' as the kids listen to a lot of swear words. Though, it was nice to see a young Keifer Sutherland and rewatch a Stephen King story. What she meant for us to watch was 'Lean on Me' (mentioned a few posts back) to show the kids not everyone has a life as nice as we've given them.

This weekend was my turn. Option 1 was The Pink Panther (1963) which the wife and kids all agreed the kids would hate something that old (they've barely been tolerating our picks from 80's and 90's). My second choice was Powder (1995), which the wife asked NOT to watch as she preferred something she hadn't seen yet. So, we go with what's behind door #3:

CHIPS (2017)

Michael Pena (starting to get the credit he deserves in general) is an FBI agent with too much bravado. He is sent under cover into CHP to find the dirty cops involved in recent armored car heists. As Ponch, he gets paired with Dax Shepard playing Jon Baker who is the oldest rookie on record, basically a washed up motocross champ clinging to a failed marriage hoping being a cop will win back his wife. While Pena plays a great Ponch, I have to give a lot of credit to the unknown Shepard playing a physically dominating character riddled with surgeries, and an opioid addiction, and a naivete in general about life and relationships. This is billed as a comedy, and it is with not much connection to the old tv series. Despite having Vincent D'Onofrio as the lead villain, there isn't a whole lot of depth to the story...if you're OK with that. There is a LOT of swearing, much more than needed, honestly, but it's one more point for me to hold over my wife's choice in movies with the kids. There are some great boobs shown, another point for me over the wife's choices for the kids. There are plenty of laughs throughout, several discussions that are heavily laden with sex talk (more points over the wife), but all in all a good 'adult' comedy without much expectations. The two carry the film quite well, and could easily have a sequel or two that don't utterly suck, but likely won't get much better either. I can recommend it for a bachelor night of films, or a date night, but leave the kids out of it. 7/10, gains a 7.5/10 based upon boobage.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Babadook (2014)

Aussie film, billed as Drama-Horror. Focus is on a mother raising her son turning 7. The father died in a car crash getting mom to hospital for delivery. Kid is always fighting imaginary monsters, and needs cuddling at night out of fear, he has a lot of social issues. The mom can't get him to be normal and is barely holding it together, when a book suddenly appears and they read it for night-time. The story alludes to "let me in and you'll wish you were dead" per the monster in the book, the Babadook. By the second page, kid is freaked, mom reads the rest to herself while telling him it's happily ever after. This occurs about 45-50min into the film, and to that point it is a very slow drag of their world falling apart. At that point, it becomes akin to the exorcist on meth. For the climax, she basically yells at the beast to leave her son alone or she'll kill it, and it runs out the front door. We close with a fairly unclear setttled state by which 'something' is living in the basement but they are at peace with things, including what's in the basement.

One can take this as a horror, and be mind numbed to the midpoint then enjoying the back half. Or, one can take it as a physical metaphor of their grief over losing the father figure. Or, one can walk away wondering what the hell did I just watch. Another one of those 'many hate it, a few love it'. I'll give it 5/10.

ThreatMatrix rating - best you get is the mom fingering herself under the covers and getting interrupted. Meh.

yeah. That movie sucked.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Memorial Day weekend... we watched "American Sniper" (finally), "Field of Lost Shoes" (Civil War battle involving VMI Cadets), "Kelly's Heroes" and "Sgt York."

After watching Sgt York, I think the state of tinerc should hang alvin dork for being such a pathetic representative while daring to borrow the hero's name as a message board alias.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Code 8 (2019) <Netflix>

Made for tv film, looks like a SyFy production (quality of acting, special effects, premise). Story is set in a future much like today, but a portion of the population is born powered up (genetic mutation/evolution, not chemical spill or nefarious gene testing). We follow one man with electrical power (naturally grounded, can control electricity) as he works as a day laborer with a few other 'powered' guys on construction sites, trying to earn a little to help his ailing old mother. Some bad guys recruit him and others to do some illegal jobs, he gets caught up in it - again, a good guy, only doing it to afford medical care for his mom. Cops are on him, try to turn him into a rat which he struggles with since he wants to be good and do good. Plus factors for the movie are that it goes well within it's constraints (powers aren't stretched beyond imagination, people are still people with normal motivations and interaction, etc). Minus factors are SyFy level writing, acting, etc. We'll give this 4/10.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Freaks (2018) <Netflix>

Not to be confused with the 1932 classic (seen that, it is a classic). This one stars Emile Hirsch, whom I viewed through the entirity as a thin Jack Black trying to do a serious sci-fi role...which didn't help it, as a father of a young girl. She's never allowed outside or to interact with others, and the few interactions cause him to freak out...and we witness subtle things are wrong when she does interact with outsiders. What we come to find is she has powers she doesn't understand or know (he knows, but never taught her about them), as the world has a sub-population of genetically mutated people with various powers (odd, how I keep finding such films, innit?) which were subsequently outlawed for fear of them waging war on the normal people. As the story unfolds, we find an ice cream man trying to abduct the girl, turns out to be her maternal grandfather who wants to use her and her powers (he has his own). The missing mom in this story? She was thought dead (captured by the police), but grandpa wants the girl to help free mom, dad didn't know mom was alive but doesn't want to endanger the child. So, we get a little bit of family drama there, and some social tension as the neighbors have interaction with the girl. I won't spoil the ending, for those daring to watch, but all this film really has going for it is a few new ideas on 'powers' with decent special effects, but it's weighed down by shallow characters (the grandpa is great, IMO), and an ending that feels like a lazy, ugly twist. Maybe you see it coming, maybe you don't, it doesn't matter a lot. Seems like the ending was made in hopes of spawning a sequel (they better not), and in doing so kinda wrecked any sense of what's going on up to that point. 4/10.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Spenser Confidential (2020)

Movie reboot/remake of the old 80's tv series (Spenser: For Hire), with Markie Mark as the lead role. We pick up with him as he's coming out of serving a prison sentence, prior to which he was a cop. So, ex-cop & ex-con, he comes out wanting to move from Boston to Arizona and get away from all the drama and old faces. Spenser did his time for attacking his superior while on the force, as he believed he was a dirty cop (we have a boy scout of sorts on our hands). His halfway house is run by Alan Arkin (old friend, runs a boxing gym), who puts Spenser in a room with another ex-con "Hawk" (played very well by Winston Duke) who is a hulking man but living fairly simple and healthy life. Last character for the good guys is Spenser's estranged wife (Iliza Shlesinger), who likely broke the hot-crazy scale. Spenser catches a newscast of a good cop he knew supposedly killing himself (something he wouldn't do) as the widow is interviewed with her young son. With nothing really to do, Spenser decides to check into it for her, as he suspects it is part of the same dirty cop group. Our lead bad buy is played by Bokeem Woodbine (if you don't know the name, you'll recognize the face), who does his role pretty well. So, about 20-30min of flashbacks and background to get the new caper kicked off, about 40min of following the clues, and we wrap up with 20min of showdown* and 10min of ever after ... with an opening for a sequel (possible). The *showdown is noted because at the end, we bring in about 2-3 significant plot changes before we confront the bad guy. These are noted because they were 100% stripped out of old movies and tv shows (hey, lets throw in some Dominican gangsters, and some real estate, and some other people you never heard of) and had absolutely nil to do with the story up to that point. We'll call it **** writing and move on. On the positive, his wife is smoking hot throughout (no nudity); Mark plays the role very well (Boston accents, casual nice guy with a tough streak), and good supporting cast. On the downside, meh. I never watched the old tv series, so that's not affecting my opinion, I just came away a little above meh. You can do better with another film, and you can do a lot worse with many others. 6.5/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.