Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Love with the Proper Stranger (1963). Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen so you know it has to be good. I'm surprised that so many of these old movies have such adult themes; Premarital sex, affairs, abortion. Also in most all these movies the actor is at least 20 years older than the actress. Natalie, an otherwise good girl, has a one night stand with McQueen and ends up pregnant. She originally wants nothing from McQueen other than help paying for what was then an illegal abortion. McQueen, although he at first doesn't even recognize her (as if) agrees to help. McQueen has to reconnect with his estranged family while Natalie has to avoid her suspicious, over protective brothers. In the course of the movie McQueen learns to feel something for someone and Natalie gains the strength to breakout from her controlling family. Wood and McQueen turn in some good performances. Joe Bob says check it out.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The Man Who New Too Much (1956). I didn't like this either. Turns out I'm not a fan of Doris Day. This is the movie she intro'd her signature song Que Sera, Sera. I'll just use the IMDB synopsis "While in London, for a medical convention, Dr Ben McKenna (Jimmy Stewert), his wife, Jo, a former singer, and their teenage son, Hank decide to take a quick trip to Marrakesh. Whilst there, Hank is kidnapped by a British couple. A man, who the McKenna's had met the same day, is stabbed, in front of them, but before he dies, he tells Ben there's a plan to assassinate on a politician. Fearing for his son's safety, the McKenna's don't tell this to the police. As the he clock grows ever closer - to the time of the assassination, and to find Hank, the tension ratches up."
The tension didn't ratchet up for me. Movie was slow. And the longer it went on the more I grew to not like Doris Day. Joe Bob says check it out.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley (2020)

Hard to believe it was released this year, feels like forever to go. Anyway, it is DC, so you know it sucks right out of the gate. Not even Margot Robbie can save it, nor having Ewan McGregor as our (weak, lame, etc) villain can give this life. Highlight for me was seeing Rosie Perez relevant again as her usual tough old cop role....and wearing a "I shaved my balls for this" t-shirt in the police station. Plot is thin, writing overall is weak, almost acceptable explosions and fight scenes (the end of Ewan was a second place highlight), but overall a total waste of time as expected. 3.5/10

The second Suicide Squid with James Gunn directing just wrapped. I wonder if the guy who brought Guardians of the Galaxy to life, can inject any kind of life into the franchise.

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
@ThreatMatrix , I feel you on the old movies. As I've grown older, I have found that I am more interested in old media as entertainment - movies, TV shows, music. When I was young I couldn't be bothered - who wants to watch a bunch of old farts in black and white?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I was never a fan of old movies..... The movies are comparatively short. Plots are straight forward but not simple. No line of dialog is wasted. Acting is usually pretty good.

I was into a lot of Hitchcock so I got a good taste of that. Didn't branch out as much as I should have, but I think I've seen this one. May have to watch again. I know I've seen Rear Window, and I believe there was a remake I watched as well (obviously didn't live up to the original, which I wouldn't say is top shelf, but still pretty good).

Edit: Have to add that I think the entire movie takes place in one room.

Check out Rope by Hitchcock, it's one of my favorites. Other than an opening street shot, it was intended to be one take. I believe they ended up breaking it into 2 takes with a person walking in front of the camera to create the transition. Filming as such brings it back closer to theater (stage) presentations as there's limited set and the actors must carry out extended scenes and dialogue = more realistic, certainly more than the multi-cut short scenes we've grown accustomed to where a film can jump locations, persons, etc. frequently.

One reason I mention Rope is that it was the first time I caught onto the depth of dialogue. The premise is two students feel intellectually superior to others, and to prove it they murder their classmate then invite over his father, his fiancé, and their teacher (James Stewart) over for dinner with the body hidden in the room. Through the course of the evening, Stewart begins to suspect, and the back and forth starts layering the meaning of the words, and sprinkling in a good bit of dark humor. This was Hitchcock's first color film, so close enough to the B&W era (color does nothing for it).

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I was into a lot of Hitchcock so I got a good taste of that. Didn't branch out as much as I should have, but I think I've seen this one. May have to watch again. I know I've seen Rear Window, and I believe there was a remake I watched as well (obviously didn't live up to the original, which I wouldn't say is top shelf, but still pretty good).

Check out Rope by Hitchcock, it's one of my favorites. Other than an opening street shot, it was intended to be one take. I believe they ended up breaking it into 2 takes with a person walking in front of the camera to create the transition. Filming as such brings it back closer to theater (stage) presentations as there's limited set and the actors must carry out extended scenes and dialogue = more realistic, certainly more than the multi-cut short scenes we've grown accustomed to where a film can jump locations, persons, etc. frequently.

One reason I mention Rope is that it was the first time I caught onto the depth of dialogue. The premise is two students feel intellectually superior to others, and to prove it they murder their classmate then invite over his father, his fiancé, and their teacher (James Stewart) over for dinner with the body hidden in the room. Through the course of the evening, Stewart begins to suspect, and the back and forth starts layering the meaning of the words, and sprinkling in a good bit of dark humor. This was Hitchcock's first color film, so close enough to the B&W era (color does nothing for it).
Ill check it out. I was just talking to somebody and they were telling me there was a Hitchcock movie they thought was all done in one take.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Just finished watching the 2020 version is a remake of The Invisible Man. I went in with the background of earlier makes, most notably the 1933 version actually written by H.G.Wells (still holds a high rating among most viewers, def recommend if you are good with films that old), as well as the Kevin Bacon remake in 2000 titled "Hollow Man". It's been awhile since I re-watched the original, though Bacon's has stuck with me ever since first viewing - perhaps not as strong of a film as it is a remake, but the special effects were really good at the time (still hold up, mostly) and it started going into his insanity of 'am I real? am I a god?' so for that fun aspect it's held in my mind pretty well.

This 2020 effort, given my background with the others, was ok. First half did drag a bit, and second half did kick it into gear. They kinda tipped their hand early with visual cues that there WAS an invisible person with her, when they could have played it out a bit longer as 'is she crazy or is there someone there' to a later point in the film. They played it out how they played it, alright, moving on. There's a half decent twist when we see who is wearing the invisible suit, but you can kinda see it coming. This gives legs to an extended session of 'is she crazy or not', but that's also more of a means to tie up the end with a more justified ending I believe. I'll give them credit for taking their chosen plotline deeper a bit, but they really only used the invisible man theory as a means to have a revenge film, as opposed to truly exploring the impact of someone becoming invisible, so loss of points there. That, and as we focus the WHOLE film on our lead lady, she does ok but isn't all that great. I liked the brother, the cop, and even the teenager daughter better than our lead. 5/10.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
We recently watched “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” with Tom Hanks playing Mr. Rogers. I expected a biopic. It isn’t. It’s a compelling true story of how Mr. Rogers affected a cynical writer assigned to him. That tapped into my perspective because I’m just old enough that I didn’t watch Mr. Rogers - he was that dweeb my little sisters watched. The film lays bare what Mr. Rogers tried to do with his show and his whole life. Truly an astoundingly effective person.

No spoilers, but it shines a bright light of grace and evokes hope for our future.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
We recently watched “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” with Tom Hanks playing Mr. Rogers.

Have this lined up for next date night with the wife. We're both of age to have grown up with the show, and both like Hanks as an actor.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Have this lined up for next date night with the wife. We're both of age to have grown up with the show, and both like Hanks as an actor.

It vaulted to one of my all-time favorite movies. My others include Casablanca, Forrest Gump, and of course the requisite Godfather I & II and Shawshank.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
AVA (2020) on Netflix: Starring Jessica Chastain with John Malkovich and Colin Ferrell. The trailer for this advertised it as an Atomic Blonde type spy thriller. So there was some hope for seeing the lovely Jessica Chastain in hot outfits but that was not to be. The plot focuses a bit more on Chastain's back story. Malkovich does not get enough screen time nor does Colin Ferrell. The plots a little slow, the fight scenes are okay but limited. No boobs. Joe Bob says check it out.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I may be late to the party...did not see this posted

“Manhunt: Deadly Games” - Netflix

With what's going on Today...This just makes you love MSM, the Government and the FBI just that much more.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Just finished watching the 2020 version is a remake of The Invisible Man. I went in with the background of earlier makes, most notably the 1933 version actually written by H.G.Wells (still holds a high rating among most viewers, def recommend if you are good with films that old), as well as the Kevin Bacon remake in 2000 titled "Hollow Man". It's been awhile since I re-watched the original, though Bacon's has stuck with me ever since first viewing - perhaps not as strong of a film as it is a remake, but the special effects were really good at the time (still hold up, mostly) and it started going into his insanity of 'am I real? am I a god?' so for that fun aspect it's held in my mind pretty well.

This 2020 effort, given my background with the others, was ok. First half did drag a bit, and second half did kick it into gear. They kinda tipped their hand early with visual cues that there WAS an invisible person with her, when they could have played it out a bit longer as 'is she crazy or is there someone there' to a later point in the film. They played it out how they played it, alright, moving on. There's a half decent twist when we see who is wearing the invisible suit, but you can kinda see it coming. This gives legs to an extended session of 'is she crazy or not', but that's also more of a means to tie up the end with a more justified ending I believe. I'll give them credit for taking their chosen plotline deeper a bit, but they really only used the invisible man theory as a means to have a revenge film, as opposed to truly exploring the impact of someone becoming invisible, so loss of points there. That, and as we focus the WHOLE film on our lead lady, she does ok but isn't all that great. I liked the brother, the cop, and even the teenager daughter better than our lead. 5/10.

I enjoyed the 2000 remake with Kevin Bacon because everything's better with Bacon. Plus Elizabeth Shue was at her hottest so it was a good time. Have to admit that I have no desire to see this version in part because the actress, let's call her Bertha because I don't know her name and it fits, is not someone I want to look at for 2 hours. Some actors/actresses you could watch reading the phone book because they just have that much charisma. Bertha is a charisma black hole. So for that reason Joe Bob did not check it out.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Watched "Upload" series on Amazon Prime. Pretty good ... humorous.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
He Never Died (2015)

Odd take on the immortal story as we find our central character "Jake" played by Henry Rollins...yes, that Henry Rollins. Supporting cast is a waitress who keeps dropping hints for a date, a daughter he never knew he had, and a string of bad guys. Not to blow the plot, but it turns out Rollins has been unable to die, wandering the earth for centuries, eating people. Why? Because he is Cain and this is his sentence, but we don't get that until a good ways thru the film. Up to that point, Rollins plays a roll that is very shuttered, limiting his dealings with others to eating at a local diner and small talk with the waitress, Bingo at the local church, and buying blood from a hospital intern. Part way in, the plot thickens as he, his intern, and a surprise daughter get tangled up with some local mafia thugs. Rollins prepares to just pack and run again, but turns to save his daughter - not for her sake, but for his own, to prove he has some humanity left. In doing so, he gets shot several times, beaten to no effect, and proceeds to kill (and eat) several bad guys. The simplicity, the litrealness with which Rollins character interacts is a delight, and honestly I can't imagine any one else playing the role nearly as well nor any role he would fit quite as well. You can dig for some deeper meaning on his isolationist existence, or just enjoy the bit of blood and gore mixed with an interesting character. This film won't win any awards, but if you like Rollins or a different take on immortality, give it a go. 6.5/10.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Mandy (2018)

Let's start with 'Nick Cage sucks' and go from there since it is a commonly accepted fact of the film industry. This is set in the early-mid-80's as Cage and his girlfriend 'Mandy' live in some remote woods. He appears to do lumber work while she reads fantasy books and makes art. Enter a cult leader knock off of Manson, with a cult of maybe a half dozen where only the one lead henchman with any lines is of any interest. Messiah guy sees Mandy, wants her, so lead henchman and cult go get her and Nick. To catch them, the cult calls upon some hellspawn biker group = black bikes, never see any human faces just beastly dark outlines, they want blood in return for their help...ok. Mandy mocks Messiah, he gets pissed and the cult kills Mandy and leave Nick for dead. Nick's not dead, he's pissed, so he goes on a revenge tour.

SPOILERS: No, I'm not hiding the spoilers, I'm ensuring you don't watch this piece of crap film. The biker gang were human, they were trafficking in LSD and the cook didn't like them so gave them a spiked batch and they were never quite the same. The plot of revenge as I've outlined is paper thin and dead simple, nothing interesting there. The cult group is blah, along with Messiah who made his own record and plays it while exposing himself to Mandy to initiate her to the cult (hence, the mocking). After they leave Nick for dead, he gets loose, goes home and screams a lot, badly (does he have a different scream?), goes to visit an old buddy (the black guy from the original Predator, but now down about 100 lbs lighter and looking ancient and close to death) to retrieve a crossbow he uses twice for any effect, and sets about forging a big scythe he calls 'the reaper' which appears made of aluminum (shiny light weight). He hunts down the bikers first, and tastes their tainted LSD on the way out, maybe it effects him or maybe he's always been a bad actor. He hunts down the cult, destroys everything end of movie. /SPOILERS

You could try and take some spiritual sense from the film about what is important to you and the lengths you may go, or about losing your humanity in pursuit of those so evil, but no. In reality, you sit there thinking this 2018 film is set in the 80's about a 70's style biker_gang-messiah_cult alliance, filmed nearly completely in psychedelic lighting and effects to enhance the feel (or obscure the crap) and never really brings you in or makes you even enjoy a badly made revenge film. Congrats, you've wasted 90min. Or, do not see. DO NOT SEE. 2/10.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2020)

Yes, the Tom Hans as Mr. Rogers film. Went in thinking it was about the behind the scenes life of Mr. Fred Rogers, and while there was a good bit of that, the film was so much more. In an interesting approach, we had Tom as the living and breathing Mr. Rogers set in pair with a Mr. Lloyd Vogel, a magazine writer struggling in several aspects of his life and currently assigned to do a 400 word piece on Rogers for the magazine's "Heroes" spread. More than a look into how Mr. Rogers was off screen (which is shown, and weaves into the films main story), we focus in on Vogel with his estranged father, career struggles, and difficulty in adjusting to the addition of a new son to his relationship with his wife. We explore Mr. Rogers' intent and techniques in creating the children's show (which actually applies to everyone) and see it unfold as it effects Vogel and the challenges he faces. I'm sorry if this spoils things a bit, but my words should not deter you in any way from seeing the film. They address the magic that was his impact on so many people, so in that way it should touch many of you and remind you of how much more you got from the program than you may have realized. Bottom line, an excellent production both in terms of casting, story telling, and presentation. Definitely recommended. 8.5/10.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2020)

Yes, the Tom Hans as Mr. Rogers film. Went in thinking it was about the behind the scenes life of Mr. Fred Rogers, and while there was a good bit of that, the film was so much more. In an interesting approach, we had Tom as the living and breathing Mr. Rogers set in pair with a Mr. Lloyd Vogel, a magazine writer struggling in several aspects of his life and currently assigned to do a 400 word piece on Rogers for the magazine's "Heroes" spread. More than a look into how Mr. Rogers was off screen (which is shown, and weaves into the films main story), we focus in on Vogel with his estranged father, career struggles, and difficulty in adjusting to the addition of a new son to his relationship with his wife. We explore Mr. Rogers' intent and techniques in creating the children's show (which actually applies to everyone) and see it unfold as it effects Vogel and the challenges he faces. I'm sorry if this spoils things a bit, but my words should not deter you in any way from seeing the film. They address the magic that was his impact on so many people, so in that way it should touch many of you and remind you of how much more you got from the program than you may have realized. Bottom line, an excellent production both in terms of casting, story telling, and presentation. Definitely recommended. 8.5/10.
So, better than Mandy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.