Film Room with Gator Nation Football Podcast

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Update: Even though their first videos and channel were pulled by YouTube, I think it would be best to have all of their film breakdowns in one thread. ...or perhaps one for each season. Therefore, I'm adding the more recent videos into this thread.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Gator Nation Football Podcast is the best Gators football podcast out there. Well, now James Di Virgilio, the one who seems to have a stronger knowledge and understanding of football strategies and tactics is breaking down film. This season he started doing some single play breakdowns and now has larger videos (30 min to +1 hour) from the last two games one each focusing on offense and defense.

You can find them on YouTube or Facebook. I'll post their channel here and each larger breakdown below.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_jV8DmiKZYbssdMdAfm3Gg/videos

Last edited:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the painful Texas A&M stuff.

Offense

Defense

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Missouri

What Florida should expect from Missouri on Offense and Defense

Offense

Defense

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
It’s very insightful.

On the day it looked like Reese’s mistake led to the pick six. He points out it was Delance REALLY blowing his assignment.

but he’s also willing to note some of the offensive play calls sucked and we got lucky on defense a few times.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
this is a great podcast. Love this stuff.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Also, on much of the tape regarding the defense, you consistently hear the host ask, what is this guy or who is this guy responsible for or why are 3 guys essentially not guarding anyone or why are 2 LB, right next to each other? We ask these same questions every single weekend over and over and over again yet it never changes. Are the players too stupid to understand their responsibility on each play or are the coaches too stupid to properly teach assignment football?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
something in the middle is usually true. innthis case it is more toward the coaches though. Even the backups looked much better last week.

I didn't get away all the way through that last defense video. I saw like three plays, it takes time.

notice that he wasn't really saying that in that video. the reason most defensive coordinators call simple sound defenses is because they the defense is sound and simple.

some things that you can draw up on paper don't actually work in the real world. you can draw a play where we show Man press coverage then have a corner back or a safety blitz and have a defensive end drop into that coverage, but it doesn't actually work in the real world no matter how you draw it on the board. Fat Todd Exotic hasn't figured this out.

Last edited:

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
It is almost like WR screens and qb runs don’t ensure a well thought out passing attack. Does this mean Donk was correct :)
Gap control is a thing. 4 biguns > 3
A strategy that depends on superior athletes isn’t. #strategy

Great podcast

You watch some of these analysis and wonder how much it affects recruiting, i.e. don’t know how to use certain positions like RB, lol

Go Gators beat the dawgs

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Gator Nation Football Podcast is the best Gators football podcast out there. Well, now James Di Virgilio, the one who seems to have a stronger knowledge and understanding of football strategies and tactics is breaking down film. This season he started doing some single play breakdowns and now has larger videos (30 min to +1 hour) from the last two games one each focusing on offense and defense.

You can find them on YouTube or Facebook. I'll post their channel here and each larger breakdown below.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_jV8DmiKZYbssdMdAfm3Gg/videos
Thanks. Makes a lot of sense.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here are the extended breakdowns for offense and defense from the game against UGA.

Offense

Defense

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
He was all over the MANY breakdowns on downfield coverage. God, it was even worse than I thought. UGA’s crap QBs left 28 points out there.

someone better wake up back there. The ONE thing Franks can do is throw the deep ball well. What a waste of a cocktail party win if we get exposed by the guy we sent packing. Smh.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone know why his youtube channel no longer exists?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone know why his youtube channel no longer exists?
Nevermind. Youtube took their channel down since they broke down film using All-22 footage, which apparently violates a copyright law. That sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.