First posts from a Raspberry Pi

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know why but I wanted to play with one. Now my son wants one to build a robot controller.

Amazon product

Thinking about a retro machine that runs old arcade games. Has anyone else played with one or something similar?

Anything beats watching our football team.

Last edited:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I don't know why but I wanted to play with one. Now my son wants one to build a robot controller.

Amazon product

Thinking about a retro machine that runs old arcade games. Has anyone else played with one or something similar?

Anything beats watching our football team.

One of my cubicle buddies just got 10 of those and is building a traveling case to take to customers for demonstrating OpenStack and an App/Dev platform called OpenShift (containerized apps).

He's putting in a Cisco switch and some external storage to showcase software defined Ceph storage.

I would assume those don't really put out much heat...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So I went to a geek store and they had Pi Zeros on sale for 0.99, strict limit of one. Now I have many Pis. I still dont know why yet.

The Windows 10 IOT you can download is useless. I was hoping it allowed me to play Netflix but no. In fact, I can't think of any use for it, no browser avail, no gui, only programming languages, just a command prompt, and I guess some ability to manipulate the hd and move files. It's like looking at flashing cursor back in the DOS years. Very useless. I see there is some RISC version. Hmmmm.... Maybe I can write some malware and steal all of Ox's money.

Ubuntu Mate is interesting, seems to have full Ubuntu catalog of programs, but it's SLOW, much slower than Raspbian. Raspbian seems to be enough for browsing but there are some missing pieces, ie support for pdfs (at least natively, Im not sure yet if there is a download). This thing isn't much for multitasking. Of course this isnt meant to be a net machine but its interesting that it can be.

Just learned that the processor is ARM v8 based similiar to Ipad/Iphone 4 (more memory on the Raspberry though).

Diddy, no overheating yet. I suspect the type of case used affects that a bunch though. Or overclocking. I did buy some heatsinks but haven't added them yet.

On youtube I've seen many project. Which should I do first?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.