First Spring Scrimmage Recap - McElwain

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/live-blog-jim-mcelwain-recaps-floridas-first-full-scrimmage

The Florida Gators are nine practices into spring football and held their first full scrimmage Thursday.

UF coach Jim McElwain met with the media Monday to recap the scrimmage and provide the latest updates on his team.

Below, we’ve got a roundup of news and notes from his press conference.

• “Really felt good about the scrimmage Thursday,” McElwain said. The Gators played 117 scrimmage snaps. McElwain said the young guys got valuable reps. Florida will scrimmage again this Friday.
  • McElwain said the defense created three turnovers.
  • “All the quarterbacks had their moments, both good and bad,” McElwain said, adding that the position as a whole showed consistency.
  • McElwain said Eddy Piniero kicked well Thursday and showed off great hang time.
  • Players out for Monday’s practice: Defensive tackle Caleb Brantley (sick), center Cam Dillard (broken nose), defensive end Thomas Holley (hip), receivers Ahmad Fulwood and Dre Massey (leg).
  • With Fulwood and Massey, McElwain receiver Alvin Bailey had a really good scrimmage Thursday and freshmen Joshua Hammond and Freddie Swain made the most of their extra reps.
  • McElwain said freshman defensive back Chauncey Gardner is playing safety and caused a turnover in the red zone during Thursday’s scrimmage.
  • McElwain on receiving a $750,000 raise: “It’s good to know that your university and administration believes in the direction that we’re taking this thing.”
  • McElwain said all four tight ends have made strides this spring, particularly Moral Stephens. “(DeAndre) Goolsby really showed up in the last scrimmage.”

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The comments on local radio (1010xl noon show) here in Jax is that if you are an Appleby guy, you had a good day. He is improving rapidly and beginning to push LDR. I have no idea how accurate that is or who their sources are. That's just what they said.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gardner playing Safety and causing a turnover in the red zone is a big deal. With reports of Dawson to CB, it looks like Gardner may see some serious PT this Fall at Safety. We knew he was kind of a tweener, but with his aggressiveness, I think Safety is the best spot for him (plus, that's where we need the most help right now).
Swain and Hammond continuing to shine is also great news.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gardner playing Safety and causing a turnover in the red zone is a big deal. With reports of Dawson to CB, it looks like Gardner may see some serious PT this Fall at Safety. We knew he was kind of a tweener, but with his aggressiveness, I think Safety is the best spot for him (plus, that's where we need the most help right now).
Swain and Hammond continuing to shine is also great news.

Yep. We saw this coming before he even stepped on campus.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
More comments from McElwain:

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/mcelwain-talks-spring-scrimmage/

Here’s what McElwain had to say on Monday:

"I thought all the quarterbacks had their moments, good and bad. The consistency was pretty darn good," McElwain said.
— Robbie Andreu (@RobbieAndreu) March 28, 2016

McElwain addressing reporters in Gainesville, says no "clear-cut, one way or the other" on QBs between Appleby and Del Rio.
— Matt Baker (@MBakerTBTimes) March 28, 2016

McElwain said there is no clear cut separation between the quarterbacks. #Gators
— Luis Torres (@LFTorresIII) March 28, 2016

Mac said young #Gators QBs (Franks, Trask) threw ball well, handle dsituations well. No separation with vets (Del Rio, Appleby).
— Edgar Thompson (@osgators) March 28, 2016

Here are some more details from the scrimmage:

McElwain says team got 117 snaps in during Thursday’s scrimmage including special teams.
— Scott Carter (@GatorsScott) March 28, 2016

McElwain said he felt good about the scrimmage on Thursday. Said defense did better in situational drills, specifically on 3rd downs #Gators
— Jordan McPherson (@J_McPherson1126) March 28, 2016

"Offensively, I thought they did really good at the beginning of the scrimmage… Had some explosive passes," McElwain. #Gators

McElwain: Defense got three turnovers #Gators
— Graham Hack (@graham_hack24) March 28, 2016

McElwain said the Gators will stress situations this week. Work heavy on two-minute stuff.

McElwain said DT Caleb Brantley is ill, C Cam Dillard (nose) is out. #Gators.

Mac impressed with JUCO RB Mark Thompson's pass-catching ability, began career as a WR. #Gators

Jordan Scarlett will be back at practice today. Missed the scrimmage with a leg injury.

McElwain said the three RBs who did scrimmage — Thompson, Cronkrite and Herndon — did really well in pass protection. #Gators

McElwain said Chauncey Gardner started out the scrimmage a safety and forced a turnover early. "He's a guy who is going to help this team."

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Glad he got his raise...Hopefully OHH can pull a miracle this year and we won't lose more than 2 games...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The comments on local radio (1010xl noon show) here in Jax is that if you are an Appleby guy, you had a good day. He is improving rapidly and beginning to push LDR. I have no idea how accurate that is or who their sources are. That's just what they said.

I wonder if those are code words that Del Rio was responsible for some turnovers or not. That was Appleby's problem at his last school however. Besides that Appleby actually looked like a gamer at times at his former school.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
From the title I thought Mac had straightened Sommer's cap.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016

Appleby making some strides...a little healthy competition is good for us!

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
  • Players out for Monday’s practice: Defensive tackle Caleb Brantley (sick), center Cam Dillard (broken nose), defensive end Thomas Holley (hip), receivers Ahmad Fulwood and Dre Massey (leg).
sounds like Holley's chronic hip problems are flaring up again. too bad. he's tried so hard to get himself physically ready to play but he sounds like one of those guys whose body isn't going to allow for the grind of NCAA football. hope he gets past it and can contribute.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Holley's hip issue confirmed: McElwain said defensive tackle Thomas Holley reaggravated a hip injury that has plagued the redshirt sophomore since he arrived at UF in 2014 as a high-profile recruit.

damn.

on a better note, it's good to hear Gardner is putting his skills to work at safety. if he can settle, he and maye could do alright back there if he's not being groomed as maye's understudy. Gardner may be the reason they moved dawson to corner.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Holley's hip issue confirmed: McElwain said defensive tackle Thomas Holley reaggravated a hip injury that has plagued the redshirt sophomore since he arrived at UF in 2014 as a high-profile recruit.

damn.

on a better note, it's good to hear Gardner is putting his skills to work at safety. if he can settle, he and maye could do alright back there if he's not being groomed as maye's understudy. Gardner may be the reason they moved dawson to corner.

We already knew with the weight loss he was strictly going to be an end, but obviously this isn't good.
We need to add two juco's at DT for 17', and probably two freshmen as well. The Juco's dont need to be stars, but will need to be solid
rotational players like Cummings and Damian Jacobs were.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I saw that about Holley when I read the article. I hate that for the young man because it seems like he is working hard to make his football dream come true. I do remember he was a highly recruited kid and we were psyched to get him. We signed two stud DT's that year. The Louisiana kid (who seemed like a baller who got himself thrown off the team) and Holley. One is gone and the other one, because of health, may never be a serious contributor...and if he does manage to play it won't be at DT. That just sucks.

Three thoughts on Holley:
(1) I hope this is a minor setback and he surprises us with a solid season at DE.
(2) More likely, he'll be a contender for a medical hardship and will free up another scholley.
(3) I hope the kid is going to class and uses this opportunity to get his education.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
“Offensively, I thought they did a really good job of coming out at the beginning of the scrimmage, taking a couple drives down, punching it in,” McElwain said. “A couple explosive passes, and that was good to see. And yet, consistency, there were some turnovers. There were three turnovers created by the defense that obviously you're not going to win games offensively by putting the ball on the ground.”

Among the positives on offense was the play of tight ends and running backs, who were effective in pass protection and in pass catching. McElwain also praised some players for stepping up at the injury depleted wide receiver positions.

“(True freshmen receivers Joshua Hammond and Freddie Swain) have been getting a ton of reps and Alvin Bailey actually had a really good scrimmage, stepped up,” McElwain said. “He’s had that kind of a back (injury) he’s been dealing with, but I thought he did some really good things.

“Chris Thompson and Ryan Sousa made a couple of big plays. So, there are some guys getting extra reps that normally wouldn’t in some situations. To see those guys compete and get after it, I’m really happy.

“I’d be remiss not to say we caught the ball really well in the scrimmage, even our running backs out of the backfield. I guess I knew this and didn’t really realize it with Mark Thompson, he started out as a wide receiver and outgrew the position. He’s got real natural hands and that was good to see.”

“There’s really been four guys who have really stood out (at tight end),” he said. “I'll start with Moral Stephens, who has really become a guy that has kind of taken to the role as an on-line blocker playing physical.

“Obviously, C'yontai (Lewis), it's been good to have him back and in there. DeAndre Goolsby really showed up in the last scrimmage. He made some really big plays in the pass game and has gotten a little bit better from a blocking standpoint, especially some point of attack stuff. Cam Knight is a guy that just keeps getting better and better and he'll play a lot of us."

Pineiro continues to have success making his field goal attempts. McElwain said the coaching staff will try to create some pressure situations for Pineiro.

“Eddy kicked really good in the scrimmage,” he said. “He tried to overkick one on a kickoff and yanked one out of bounds really fast and really hard, but that's not how it's supposed to go.

“His hang time, when he swings his leg, I think we’ve got a chance to have a pretty good cover team because of him. He hit a couple of field goals, again with not a lot of pressure. It was good to see those kind of go through the uprights.”

Defensively, the Gators were strong in third-down situations in the scrimmage, and a new leader has clearly emerged — senior defensive end Bryan Cox Jr.

“That guy, when you turn on the film, it’s great to see how hard he plays and how important the game is to him,” McElwain said. “Even after Wednesday’s practice, when the defense kind of got together, he stepped in and said a few things. I thought he’d taken over that leadership role with that. He’s been really good. He plays the game so hard.”

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The good news is, he is still learning the offense. He will have a better grasp in the fall and should make a better push for the starting job.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The more that can think and throw better than the last 5 years the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator