First time huntin’

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I asked my ex-Marine Marine buddy who served in 'nam if he wanted to go. He said once you've hunted gooks, hogs ain't that fun. LOL
Very few people think hunting and being hunted by another armed man is fun.

The truth is that most dead animals look and smell alike. Many guys who have been to combat avoid hunting often for that reason, it sometimes triggers painful memories.

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Doves aren't that big, 22 automatic should be good. Give them a sporting chance.

Flush quail on the fence row if you want some real excitement.

Beware of friendly fire.....

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

The truth is that most dead animals look and smell alike. Many guys who have been to combat avoid hunting often for that reason, it sometimes triggers painful memories.
I just started hunting again about 7 years ago.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Doves aren't that big, 22 automatic should be good. Give them a sporting chance.
If you can hit a flying Dove with a .22 you're a damned good shot.....and unless things have changed since I last hunted them, you're also breaking the law....Migratory birds must be in flight when shot at and even shotguns can have no more than 3 rounds.....but it has been awhile so correct me if I'm wrong?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you can hit a flying Dove with a .22 you're a damned good shot.....and unless things have changed since I last hunted them, you're also breaking the law....Migratory birds must be in flight when shot at and even shotguns can have no more than 3 rounds.....but it has been awhile so correct me if I'm wrong?

They only shooting non-migratory local dove....

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gonna go hunting for the first time. Maybe doves. Wanna do hogs and alligators too. Getting a group of 4 together. Two of us have never done it. One of the experienced guys suggested Dove hunting cuz it’s more social. Less independent.
So I have a .30-06. Guess that would work on gators. I will have to get a shot gun for doves (and hogs I guess).
What say you?

At your advanced age I would recommend hunting fish....

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Yeah, when he said it it wasn't really in a joking manner.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018

Do you want to borrow my bird dogs?.....Brittanies are considered by some as the best gun dogs on the planet...not so much mine, they run and hide when a shotgun goes off.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

You could hunt them in argentina with a compound bow like Tim Wells. This video amazes me every time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
iu

I think he is using something like this. That's still an incredible shot.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
You could hunt them in argentina with a compound bow like Tim Wells. This video amazes me every time.

I bow hunted for years pretty much grew up with a bow in my hands. Over the years I took Deer, Hogs, Turkey, Rabbit, Squirrel and even Quail with a bow. Never shot a dove though. I'll never forget the look on the game warden's face when I showed up at the check station at Three Lakes Management area with 3 quail in my pocket. Even though they are legal game nobody shoots quail during archery season. I asked him if he wanted me to hang them next to that deer hanging there.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
I do have to fess up though the turkey I took was illegal. I had never hunted Georgia before. In Florida turkey are legal game during archery season. I came walking into camp with a turkey over my shoulder and was informed by the guys turkey are not legal game in Georgia during archery season. We ate up the evidence that night though.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Shooting birds with a bow, don’t you lose a lot of arrows?
You do, I always kept 2 or 3 old arrows in my quiver for birds and squirrels. Squirrel hunting destroys a lot of arrows because if you hit a tree limb the arrow is toast.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They are super light and don't go far. They are usually quite colorful so you find them.

They also take lots of skill.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
upload_2019-3-31_19-40-37.png

I was pretty good back in the day. I only ever shot one tournament because I was a bowhunter not a target archer but this was the result.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

He's using what are called flu flu arrows. They have outrageously large fletchings. The bow's draw weight is turned down to around 35lbs too. So those arrows won't go more than 50 yards before the fletchings slow them to a stop. Also, its an organized shoot in Argentina so they have tons of bird boys hanging out around the blind that run out and retrieve downed birds and arrows.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
I had a doctor friend who used to tell the funniest story about an organized dove hunt he used to get invited to back in the 70s. He said they hunted over a baited field and your social status determined your place in the hunt. He said the Governor and the congressmen & senators hunted on the first row where they sat in lounge chairs and were served cocktails by young scantily dressed hotties. The second row consisted of corporate execs & large business owners who contributed to the politicians campaign funds. Doc said him and the other doctors and lawyers had to hunt on foot in the back row. He did say by the end of the day everybody limited out.....What wonderful sportsmen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.