First Time in Gainesville for a game

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good lord, you must still be on some serious pain meds. This guy is driving all the way down from far enough that he’s never been, it’s his first game, and the best thing you can come up with is to see the Krishna’s dancing? Then he’s supposed to drive through 45 min of traffic to eat a $55 pizza in a trailer. And finish the weekend off by going to Cedar Key with no knowledge of what conditions to expect(I mean I guess it has been like 6 weeks since the storm)? You do realize we’d like to have people come back and visit again, right?
Told y'all fukers this was ox

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Richman, If you’re in town a day early and you’re south of town, check out The Yearling in Cross Creek—authentic cracker cooking in an Old Florida setting. That’s where we’ll be Fri about noon. Ballyhoos on University is good after games if you can get in.

I don’t know if Napolitano’s is still open or not. Was a few blocks west of 75 and a block or so sourh of Univ. I know the owner had some health issues. The old ball coach could be seen there in the years before his restaurant opened. Very good EYE-talian fare.

Last edited:

richman1221

Oct 30, 2023
@richman1221 We can probably be of more assistance if you can give us an idea of what part of town you are staying in. BTW - Don't know if you checked, but a lot of the hotels do shuttles to the stadium. Not good if you are supposed to bring something to a tailgate, but it beats the hell out of finding and paying for parking. If somewhere you think you'd like to eat takes reservations, it's not a bad idea. The night before the Tennessee game we had a large party for my 60th birthday at Spurrier's; couldn't have done it without a reservation.
Thanks! Our hotel is on W Newberry a little bit west of Mill Pond

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Hotels, bambi on sw 13th
food waffle house or mc D’s out east
things to do, try the University Club

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Thanks! Our hotel is on W Newberry a little bit west of Mill Pond
I live very close to mill pond.

In this area:
breakfast - Bakery mill, metro diner, Flying biscuit

Sports bar- gators dockside or ballyhoos

Lunch/dinner- mini Momo's, nopal, Leonardo's pizza of millhopper, Mildred's if you want something fancy

other decent places with food/cocktails- cintron, new deal cafe.

easy and fast- El indio on 34th, mi-apa, bento Newberry road

CELEBRATION POINT/Archer AREA

Surprised nobody mentioned spurriers?

there's also a decent piano/sports bar there called the keys. not really my thing but it's alright.

sensei Asian bistro is good as another option in that area.

Swamphead brewery... I'm sort of biased though as my friend is owner

DOWNTOWN -

Sports bar- Mojo's bbq

more upscale food/cocktails- dragonfly, marks prime

more casual food/drinks but still good in my opinion. rated by most unique to Gainesville to the least:
- the top (crusty hipsters but very unique atmosphere and food is usually good)
- alpin bistro (super underrated and unknown gem in Gainesville)
-V pizza
- harrys

drinks only: dime bar, baby js

If pizza is your thing then you could also check out one of the piesano locations.

Depot park also has some cool little food/beer spots if it's a really nice day and you want to spend some time outside.

Sweetwater park is a really nice place to take a walk in the morning. It's got hundreds and hundreds of yards of boardwalk out over the prairie. Good place to see gators, dozens of bird varieties, and even some wild horses occasionally. Keep in mind there isn't much shade though. We might be able to help more if you are more specific about what you are wanting to do. Have fun!

Sorry for the horrific formatting but I pounded this out on my phone

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

In this area:

Lunch/dinner- mini Momo's, nopal, Leonardo's pizza of millhopper, Mildred's if you want something fancy

there's also a decent piano/sports bar there called the keys. not really my thing but it's alright.

DOWNTOWN -

Sports bar- Mojo's bbq

more casual food/drinks but still good in my opinion. rated by most unique to Gainesville to the least:
-V pizza
- harrys

Good call on Swamphead. I’d actually put that on my definite list if I were visiting. And while I’m not a huge Celebration person, Spurrier’s is also a great pick, even if just for the novelty.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

In this area:

DOWNTOWN -

Sports bar- Mojo's bbq

-V pizza
- harrys

If pizza is your thing then you could also check out one of the piesano locations.

Depot park also has some cool little food/beer spots if it's a really nice day and you want to spend some time outside.

Sweetwater park is a really nice place to take a walk in the morning. It's got hundreds and hundreds of yards of boardwalk out over the prairie. Good place to see gators, dozens of bird varieties, and even some wild horses occasionally. Keep in mind there isn't much shade though. We might be able to help more if you are more specific about what you are wanting to do. Have fun!

I love Alpin Bistro

And before any of you assclowns make fun of the foo foo French name, you tell me where else you can get a killer ham n cheese sandwich, WITH EXTRA HAM N CHEESE ON TOP OF IT?!?!?!?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Good call on Swamphead. I’d actually put that on my definite list if I were visiting. And while I’m not a huge Celebration person, Spurrier’s is also a great pick, even if just for the novelty.
Is Swamphead the one south of Archer back off of 34th and has the outside with the pond?

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If without kids, check out The Top or Dragonfly downtown for great vibe, drink and eats.

And Lillian’s for after dinner drinks and music.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’m still sitting here crying at couch’s post and Sofla’s response…it’s nearly word for word what I was about to reply with. :lmao2:

The only thing sofla missed, and the part of the review of Satchel’s that made me physically snort, was: “Great salad.”

:lmao:

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Satchels?

Wasn't impressed at all. Will probably never go back.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

In this area:

DOWNTOWN -

Sports bar- Mojo's bbq

-V pizza
- harrys

ballyhoos is a sports bar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator