First Year Coach Grades - CBS Sports

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
CBS Sports has graded all of the first year coaches. You can see the whole thing at the link (College football first-year coach grades: Florida's Dan Mullen gets an 'A,' UCLA's Chip Kelly does not), but all you really need to see is this:

FLA

Dan Mullen 9-3 The Gators spent the majority of the season in the top 20, topped LSU in a rivalry game and will likely finish in the top 10 with a New Year's Six bowl bid. Not bad, Mr. Mullen. A

FSU

Willie Taggart 5-7 The 36-year bowl streak ended, the Seminoles led the nation in penalties, and they were disjointed from the jump. F

Outside of those two, coaches that were above Mullen in most Gator fans mind received the following:

NEB

Scott Frost 4-8 Six straight losses to open the season didn't exactly sit well, but the Cornhuskers came on strong late to finish 4-2 and give fans hope. B

UCLA

Chip Kelly 3-9 Closing strong with a win over rival USC was great, but that record in the Pac-12 South is unacceptable C

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Kelly I think may be gone after the 2019 season as I am not sure he is into putting the work in he needs to there. He hasn't even got one Rivals blue chipper to give a verbal commitment for the class of 2019.

I think Frost will be fine at Nebraska and have them playing for a Big 10 championship by year 3. The recruiting will be a little tough there but he is in the right division to play for conference championships.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Kelly I think may be gone after the 2019 season as I am not sure he is into putting the work in he needs to there. He hasn't even got one Rivals blue chipper to give a verbal commitment for the class of 2019.

I think Frost will be fine at Nebraska and have them playing for a Big 10 championship by year 3. The recruiting will be a little tough there but he is in the right division to play for conference championships.
Depends on what your definition of "fine" is. He won't recruit well enough to ever really contend. He may be able to consistently make them an 8 win team with occasional flare ups.

From where they've been, that's pretty good. But if the goal is winning championships, he likely will never accomplish that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How does 4-8 rate a B? How does 3-9 rate a C?

Taggart should sue for libel.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
How does 4-8 rate a B? How does 3-9 rate a C?

Taggart should sue for libel.

Because Sallee actually has the balls to call things the way they are. Most knew that Ucla and Nebraska were difficult circumstances that would need some time to be turned around. And that's IF they ever get turned around. There wasn't any turnaround needed at fsu.

I can agree that the B and C grades are a little generous for Frost and Kelly respectively. But I think his point is to really show the disparity of the two situations to expose just how bad Taggart was this year. It's a refreshing approach.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
With Milton going down for what could be his career, they are going to get stomped by anyone they play

They’re 2-0 with his backup, who actually looks very talented. Milton was special, but they were not a 1-man team.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
They’re 2-0 with his backup, who actually looks very talented. Milton was special, but they were not a 1-man team.

Disagree. A special QB hides a lot of other weaknesses. Milton was damn special. Terrible what happened. Let's beat up the blind kid if we have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator