Fishing Videos, Pics and Stories

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Hit a few creeks in St Augustine today, and then fished the inlet at the beginning of the incoming tide. Had 1 underslot red, 1 bluefish, 1 sail cat, 1 sand trout, 2 keeper flounder, and 1 keeper puppy drum. My daughter lost a small tarpon boat side. Was a beautiful day on the water. Will post the fish tomorrow when they are on the cleaning board.
You live in St. Augustine?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My Dad always preached to stay away from Mercury, and go with Johnson or Evinrude. We always had Johnson’s when I was growing up.
The old Johnny/Rudes never let me down....as long as you disconnected the VRO system......VRO was know as "very rarely oils".....I never had a problem pre mixing my outboards....once Yammies came about they had the oil injection down pat....

I sold a lot of Merc's as a boat salesman back in the early mid 2000's and their Opti's were decent as well as their 4 strokes which Yamaha actually made the powerhead for them....the first generation Verado's were a f vcking nightmare though....

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The old Johnny/Rudes never let me down....as long as you disconnected the VRO system......VRO was know as "very rarely oils".....I never had a problem pre mixing my outboards....once Yammies came about they had the oil injection down pat....

I sold a lot of Merc's as a boat salesman back in the early mid 2000's and their Opti's were decent as well as their 4 strokes which Yamaha actually made the powerhead for them....the first generation Verado's were a f vcking nightmare though....
My first 4 stroke was a Honda 45, and I had it on a Carolina Skiff 16 for 25 years, ran like a watch. I now have a Suzuki 140, been very happy with it as well. Of course, Yamaha is an excellent motor as well.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Hit a few creeks in St Augustine today, and then fished the inlet at the beginning of the incoming tide. Had 1 underslot red, 1 bluefish, 1 sail cat, 1 sand trout, 2 keeper flounder, and 1 keeper puppy drum. My daughter lost a small tarpon boat side. Was a beautiful day on the water. Will post the fish tomorrow when they are on the cleaning board.
Springtime can be tough at times especially when closer to strong tidal movement. At least it was for me. The weather being warmer in the boat often didn't translate to what I thought the fish should be doing. I used to have better luck on those type days running further back country or fishing the Lagoon where there was no tidal flow(I'm in C. Florida)

Not sure how far out you are but Tomoka River used to be really fun this time of the year with a lot of Snook(mostly 20"-26" range) and scores of slot sized Reds.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spring is definitely tough inshore. I am about to be in the turkey woods, so fishing is about to get a month long break for me.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You fish a lot in that part of the river?
None anymore. Sold my boat last spring because I never had time with my son’s sports. I fished a lot in Mandarin and Doctors Lake. Lotsa reds in those areas along with a decent amount of striped bass.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
None anymore. Sold my boat last spring because I never had time with my son’s sports. I fished a lot in Mandarin and Doctors Lake. Lotsa reds in those areas along with a decent amount of striped bass.
I plan on fishing doctors lake more this year when the shrimp are running.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I plan on fishing doctors lake more this year when the shrimp are running.
They’re in there pretty early. You can catch bait shrimp from about May on into the fall at the point and around the bridge. Used to spend about 30 minutes to catch 4-8 dozen for bait, but I still trolled with jigs most of the time. Focused on the points that have small shell bars.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They’re in there pretty early. You can catch bait shrimp from about May on into the fall at the point and around the bridge. Used to spend about 30 minutes to catch 4-8 dozen for bait, but I still trolled with jigs most of the time. Focused on the points that have small shell bars.
What tide was best?

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Last of the incoming and the first of the outgoing seemed best to me, when there’s more water in the lake.
I tried trolling a bucktail jig along the docks on the North side last summer, but no luck. Let me know if you ever want to go, I would like to try and dial that in and catch some stripers.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Heads up for folks headed to the Wacasassa. Hurricane Idalia wiped out most of the channel markers last fall. If you have a track on your GPS, you should be good. If not, it can be tricky getting out to the flats.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.