Fishing Videos, Pics and Stories

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
This is an honest question. I have only fished for an caught red snapper twice. Each time was incredibly dull, almost like ordinary fishing when they don't bite. Just lower the line over the side of the boat, jiggle it a couple of times, and pull one in. The ones I caught weren't that big, but they didn't fight that hard. It was lean back and raise the rod, lower it while taking up slack, and repeat. Is this snapper fishing as you fishermen understand it? I really want to know. I mostly fish inshore: reds, specs, and flounder. I have occasionally fished offshore and caught cobia, mahi mahi, mackerel, maybe a small tuna once.

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
6A7D141A-F7F8-499D-A881-D1F459696A1F.jpeg
13 lb snapper out of St Aug on the 2nd Atlantic snapper weekend. Been a good week of vacation. 2 days snapper fishing in St Augustine and 4 days scalloping in Steinhatchee.

Nice snap my buddy caught on gulf side out of Ft Desoto. He actually had mine moments before, my hook and leader was in his mouth.

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
0FC5AB08-E0BB-47AB-B932-970B56FB245D.jpeg Waves were so bad in the storm 3 flying fish ended up in the boat o_O. I put them in a baggie to show kids. Took pic on a plate. Damn those things stink like mullet.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is an honest question. I have only fished for an caught red snapper twice. Each time was incredibly dull, almost like ordinary fishing when they don't bite. Just lower the line over the side of the boat, jiggle it a couple of times, and pull one in. The ones I caught weren't that big, but they didn't fight that hard. It was lean back and raise the rod, lower it while taking up slack, and repeat. Is this snapper fishing as you fishermen understand it? I really want to know. I mostly fish inshore: reds, specs, and flounder. I have occasionally fished offshore and caught cobia, mahi mahi, mackerel, maybe a small tuna once.

Once you get snapper or grouper off the bottom structure where they can cut your line they are like pulling up concrete blocks......good eating though so that makes it fun....amberjack off the bottom is a whole different story. Trolling for kings, mahi or cobia has no relation to bottom fishing.

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018

I’m an inshore fisherman too. Love to wade for reds, snook and trout. My personal opinion, if you caught a 25 inch grouper and then a 25 inch snapper, you would notice a difference. Snappers are ferocious (hints the name snapper). They swim fast and eat until their stomachs are gorged. I spearfish too. Red groupers are probably the dumbest (easiest) fish to kill, while snapper are the hardest. Something else Iv found is gag grouper during season get smart, elusive. But red grouper are dumb as bricks, swim right up to you. Especially if you have a fish strung. As far as dropping it over the side and catching fish, well that’s bottom fishing.

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
Once you get snapper or grouper off the bottom structure where they can cut your line they are like pulling up concrete blocks......good eating though so that makes it fun....amberjack off the bottom is a whole different story. Trolling for kings, mahi or cobia has no relation to bottom fishing.

Agree. But will say, pulling up 25-35 inch grouper will kick your a$$. I use the lightest tackle I can get away with out there (more sporting IMHO). That 30 inch grouper gave my buddy all he wanted. The shark, forever.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. But will say, pulling up 25-35 inch grouper will kick your a$$. I use the lightest tackle I can get away with out there (more sporting IMHO). That 30 inch grouper gave my buddy all he wanted. The shark, forever.

Definitely, but when we run out 30-40 miles we want food and use bottom rigs that are heavy.

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
Definitely, but when we run out 30-40 miles we want food and use bottom rigs that are heavy.

I hear ya. Each time I get my heart broke when “something” big gets it....I think damn....what was that!! Make you want to take a wench. Yesterday was actually a tough bite and then the storm got us. It got ugly.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Fat fingered on reply. 45 miles out of Anna Maria yesterday. 30 inch red grouper in pick, 14 lbs. Shark grabbed my fish when reeling up. An hour later got him to boat. Tough bite yesterday but we got a mess. Storm got me coming back, I’m in a 24ft bayboat. Gulf went from flat calm to a washing machine with 5-7 footers. I’ll just say me and Jesus have a new relationship today.
Been there but in a 23 foot Sea Hunt off shore boat, my new boat is a 22'6" Tidewater Bay Hope it never catches me like that but it probably will. Glad you made it back in.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It depends how deep you are and if the swim bladder goes. Snapper and Grouper fight really hard until that happens, especially on 20 lb plus fish. A 25 pound mule fights like hell.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Waves were so bad in the storm 3 flying fish ended up in the boat o_O. I put them in a baggie to show kids. Took pic on a plate. Damn those things stink like mullet.
That’s s flat line special.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Ethan Whites mom is on the cover of Woods n Water with a nice redfish...that’s pretty cool

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Shrimp are running in the St Johns, just south of the Shands bridge. It’s been many years since it was this good:
0-FA6-A54-F-2-F89-430-A-BE62-6-F9-A7-BE1-DB60.jpg

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Shrimp are running in the St Johns, just south of the Shands bridge. It’s been many years since it was this good:
0-FA6-A54-F-2-F89-430-A-BE62-6-F9-A7-BE1-DB60.jpg
Was that at night? What tide? Looks like some good size on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.