Fishing Videos, Pics and Stories

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Troll the docks on the north side of Doctors Lake next time. I’ve caught tons of reds and some strippers there trolling bucktail jigs. The spots around both points are the most productive but I’ve caught them all along that side. Shrimp (enough for bait) are at the inlet mouth almost all summer/fall.
The docks near the inlet, or go on in past the bridge. I don’t do much trolling, what size bucktail? What time of year?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The docks near the inlet, or go on in past the bridge. I don’t do much trolling, what size bucktail? What time of year?
The docks inside the inlet…all along Doctors Lake Drive. I use a brown bucktail with a little red mixed in that I believe resembles a shrimp or crab to the reds. 1/4 oz works fine. I’ve caught them March through October inside the lake.

Last edited:

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Troll the docks on the north side of Doctors Lake next time. I’ve caught tons of reds and some strippers there trolling bucktail jigs. The spots around both points are the most productive but I’ve caught them all along that side. Shrimp (enough for bait) are at the inlet mouth almost all summer/fall.

I thought the best bait for strippers was $5 and $10 bills????

:dunno:

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
The pic and score are cool but... give us the whole story...

It looks a bit painful btw...
My youngest son caught him yesterday on St simons. We catch them all the time without any problem but yesterday this one caught me with my head up my ass.

I was half ass holding him trying to get the hook out when the fucher hit me. I tried to pull it out several times but couldn't. So I decided to shot gun a beer and pick the 2.5 foot wide sting ray up and break his stinger off in my arm rambo style :lol:.

Went to the emergency room and had to wait on a hand surgeon to come remove it. It hit a couple tendons and according to the surgeon I couldn't pull it out because it was 3 inches deep. She wasn't to proud of me for yanking on it.

The barb wasn't that bad but the venom or poison they shoot in your ass when they hook you hurts like a bitch.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
My youngest son caught him yesterday on St simons. We catch them all the time without any problem but yesterday this one caught me with my head up my ass.

I was half ass holding him trying to get the hook out when the fucher hit me. I tried to pull it out several times but couldn't. So I decided to shot gun a beer and pick the 2.5 foot wide sting ray up and break his stinger off in my arm rambo style :lol:.

Went to the emergency room and had to wait on a hand surgeon to come remove it. It hit a couple tendons and according to the surgeon I couldn't pull it out because it was 3 inches deep. She wasn't to proud of me for yanking on it.

The barb wasn't that bad but the venom or poison they shoot in your ass when they hook you hurts like a bitch.
ezgif-4-c0fbaf875d.gif

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
My brother once when he was about 12 or 13 hooked himself just under his ribs. He put on a shirt to hide it from my parents and wouldn’t tell my mom what happened when it was evident he was in pain. Fast forward several hours and my brother can’t sleep because he has a hook in him pretty well. At that point he decided it was a good idea, like 11 or 12 at night, to go to my mom and show her what happened. He got the hook removed. Needless to say, this is one of my moms top stories to tell about my brother.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
My brother once when he was about 12 or 13 hooked himself just under his ribs. He put on a shirt to hide it from my parents and wouldn’t tell my mom what happened when it was evident he was in pain. Fast forward several hours and my brother can’t sleep because he has a hook in him pretty well. At that point he decided it was a good idea, like 11 or 12 at night, to go to my mom and show her what happened. He got the hook removed. Needless to say, this is one of my moms top stories to tell about my brother.
I am struggling with this story. Did he think the barb would dissolve and the hook would eventually come out on its own, or what was his plan there? :scratchhead: Not to mention, how come he didn't want to tell your parents? Was he playing hooky to fish, or what was the issue with that?

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
One would think a man with 60 years fishing experience would quit making rookie mistakes, not with me.
Was fishing out in 10 ft of water catching some sea bass and trout when I noticed a nice sized Cobia following our catch back to the boat.
Well my wife pulled in a small pin fish which I immediately put on a hook to try and get the Cobia. Before I could cast it out I noticed the line wrapped around the end of the rod. Instead of putting the pin fish in the boat I dropped itover the side (only about a foot down) while I uwraped the tangle.
You know what happened next , the Cobia came from under the boat got the pin fish and we had about a ten second chit show before it broke my line.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
One would think a man with 60 years fishing experience would quit making rookie mistakes, not with me.
Was fishing out in 10 ft of water catching some sea bass and trout when I noticed a nice sized Cobia following our catch back to the boat.
Well my wife pulled in a small pin fish which I immediately put on a hook to try and get the Cobia. Before I could cast it out I noticed the line wrapped around the end of the rod. Instead of putting the pin fish in the boat I dropped itover the side (only about a foot down) while I uwraped the tangle.
You know what happened next , the Cobia came from under the boat got the pin fish and we had about a ten second chit show before it broke my line.
Great! Now that cobia is going to brag for years to his buddies about the big one that got away...:rotfl:

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Got up Sunday morning and the Seas were slick at Steinhatchee so I went out with some Stretch 20s and got these two Grouper 25 ft of water trolling 20221106_164030.jpg

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Very nice, and some sea biscuits.
Well the plan was to troll for grouper, after about two hours and no keeper grouper I stoped and caught enough Black Sea Bass for supper, started trolling again and ended up with these two.
The last-one came after I had cleaned up the boat put away my net and was getting ready to stop and pull in the lures and call it a day., it hit with not a min to spare.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Heading for Gulf Hammock shortly. My brother and I are going see if the trout will bite tomorrow in Waccasassa Bay.
Grew up fishing there with my Dad, lot of fond memories of not only the fish but abundant wildlife and natural beauty. Turtle Bay was his go to this time of year.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Grew up fishing there with my Dad, lot of fond memories of not only the fish but abundant wildlife and natural beauty. Turtle Bay was his go to this time of year.
River Rat, good to see you posting again. We will be staying at Sunset Place in July (5-7). You going to be around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator