Fitness advice/suggestions

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Welp 248.5# this morning. That's officially 35# lost. Funny thing is I had an extra couple of slices of pork loin and couscous salad last night as well as an extra beer before dinner. Maybe @URGatorBait was right about my body holding back or holding on sensing deprivation. I certainly haven't felt deprived or psychologically stressed but maybe the additional resistance training has altered my nutritional requirements?

35# lost in 100 days without starving or feeling miserable. If anyone is reading this and thinks they can't do it don't sell youself short. Maybe it's only 15-20# or you just want to do some of the things you used to do....just get started and enjoy it.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Welp 248.5# this morning. That's officially 35# lost. Funny thing is I had an extra couple of slices of pork loin and couscous salad last night as well as an extra beer before dinner. Maybe @URGatorBait was right about my body holding back or holding on sensing deprivation. I certainly haven't felt deprived or psychologically stressed but maybe the additional resistance training has altered my nutritional requirements?

35# lost in 100 days without starving or feeling miserable. If anyone is reading this and thinks they can't do it don't sell youself short. Maybe it's only 15-20# or you just want to do some of the things you used to do....just get started and enjoy it.
It's still just calories in vs calories out. If you stay consistent, the rate you are shedding weight will decrease... You burn less calories sitting around as you lose weight and you burn less calories working out as your fitness improves, but you sure as hell aren't going to go from cutting 10 lbs a month to 0 pounds a month.

Stay the course and you'll be fine.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Im late to the party here and want to congratulate Crete on your success! I was in your boat about a year ago concerned about my condition at 53 years old: at 5'10" I was hovering between 210-215 pounds...not grossly obese, but very pudgy for my height and frame. I was quickly becoming a type 2 diabetic with A1C's rising to near 7, moderate hypertension, and had been taking a statin for about a decade for high cholesterol. In the past I've counted calories and got up to about 5 miles every day jogging which got me down to about 180 pounds. I felt great, but it didn't really change my numbers, nor was it sustainable as life became busy and stressful causing me to fall off the wagon time and time again. I was a human yo-yo.

I'm the weirdo in this room, the guy that did something that will be deemed drastic, dangerous and unneccessary by most everyone here, and I'm OK with that. What works for me works for me and I'm not trying to convince anyone to do it. It sounds like you are having great success doing what you are doing so I say keep it up! I started a Keto diet last March as too much sugar in my diet was what I percieved to be the source of all of my problems. I did that for about a month before I decided to give up carbs all together doing what is called a carnivore diet. I eat nothing but meat of any kind: beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs.....and literally NO sugars or carbs of any kind. No grains, no fruits, no vegetables.....nothing but meat. Contrary to popular belief, we don't need those things to thrive.

I went from 215 pounds to 160 pounds (which I've been at for roughly 5 months), gone from a waist size of 36-38 to a 32 comfortably, my A1C and blood pressure have returned to normal levels and I took myself off of the statin I was taking. This all happened without counting calories and without exercising one bit. I do think exercising is important, I just haven't done it yet during this time. I haven't lost the muscle mass that I had, just the fat that was around it. I plan to start some resistance training to put all that protein to work. I've just been procrastinating to this point.

Not just anyone will want to give up all the sugary things and fruits and veggies though and I get that. For me, I wasn't really eating fruits and veggies anyway, I was just eating garbage. I've never been a veggie eater. I've never been a drinker so I am not missing that either. Since eating this way lowers the amount of insulin flowing in your system I don't crave anything either, even when someone brings cake or donuts to work (which is every damn day). Its not hard to look at it, knowing that I love it, but I'm just not craving it anymore.

Anyway, I look forward to all the hand wringing and pearl clutching over my diet and talk of my imminent demise.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Im late to the party here and want to congratulate Crete on your success! I was in your boat about a year ago concerned about my condition at 53 years old: at 5'10" I was hovering between 210-215 pounds...not grossly obese, but very pudgy for my height and frame. I was quickly becoming a type 2 diabetic with A1C's rising to near 7, moderate hypertension, and had been taking a statin for about a decade for high cholesterol. In the past I've counted calories and got up to about 5 miles every day jogging which got me down to about 180 pounds. I felt great, but it didn't really change my numbers, nor was it sustainable as life became busy and stressful causing me to fall off the wagon time and time again. I was a human yo-yo.

I'm the weirdo in this room, the guy that did something that will be deemed drastic, dangerous and unneccessary by most everyone here, and I'm OK with that. What works for me works for me and I'm not trying to convince anyone to do it. It sounds like you are having great success doing what you are doing so I say keep it up! I started a Keto diet last March as too much sugar in my diet was what I percieved to be the source of all of my problems. I did that for about a month before I decided to give up carbs all together doing what is called a carnivore diet. I eat nothing but meat of any kind: beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs.....and literally NO sugars or carbs of any kind. No grains, no fruits, no vegetables.....nothing but meat. Contrary to popular belief, we don't need those things to thrive.

I went from 215 pounds to 160 pounds (which I've been at for roughly 5 months), gone from a waist size of 36-38 to a 32 comfortably, my A1C and blood pressure have returned to normal levels and I took myself off of the statin I was taking. This all happened without counting calories and without exercising one bit. I do think exercising is important, I just haven't done it yet during this time. I haven't lost the muscle mass that I had, just the fat that was around it. I plan to start some resistance training to put all that protein to work. I've just been procrastinating to this point.

Not just anyone will want to give up all the sugary things and fruits and veggies though and I get that. For me, I wasn't really eating fruits and veggies anyway, I was just eating garbage. I've never been a veggie eater. I've never been a drinker so I am not missing that either. Since eating this way lowers the amount of insulin flowing in your system I don't crave anything either, even when someone brings cake or donuts to work (which is every damn day). Its not hard to look at it, knowing that I love it, but I'm just not craving it anymore.

Anyway, I look forward to all the hand wringing and pearl clutching over my diet and talk of my imminent demise.
I believe success in weight control/health is highly individually dependent. Find what works for you. That's my main reason for NOT regularly seeing a Doctor....they treat EVERYONE as if they're a clone.
I know of several people who have had success with the carnivore diet, and I can see why it would work. I have given up all processed carbs and bread(although I do eat 1 flour tortilla for my Turkey, Chicken or Tuna wrap and a few croutons in my evening salad)instead I get most of my carbs from the raw vegetables I snack on(mostly carrots and celery) and occasionally I have some couscous tossed into a raw vegetable salad.....Don't forget that veggies, particularly raw, are loaded with trace minerals that your body needs to function over the long term.

I also like you want to try and get off my medication which is for arthritis(Celecoxib). I'm waiting to get a little closer to my target weight so as to not put undo stress on my bad knee. The Doctor who put me on this medication told me most people put on 10-20 lbs after they start taking it and I wonder if it is hampering my weight loss efforts somewhat.

One of the best things about changing your diet is like you said, no cravings whatsoever....no snacking at work, before or after dinner and ZERO cravings for any sweets....but I still drink too much coffee, although it's decaf and I use artificial sweetener in it.

Thanks for the input and if I may make a suggestion for when you dive back into some training.....resistance bands are the bomb for keeping you're joints from aching if you're an older dude like me. Also take the time to stretch like Sofla pointed out for me a few weeks back. I've been spending about 10 minutes at night 3-4 times a week since then stretching my legs and my performance doing leg exercises and cardio is going off the chart.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I believe success in weight control/health is highly individually dependent. Find what works for you. That's my main reason for NOT regularly seeing a Doctor....they treat EVERYONE as if they're a clone.
I know of several people who have had success with the carnivore diet, and I can see why it would work. I have given up all processed carbs and bread(although I do eat 1 flour tortilla for my Turkey, Chicken or Tuna wrap and a few croutons in my evening salad)instead I get most of my carbs from the raw vegetables I snack on(mostly carrots and celery) and occasionally I have some couscous tossed into a raw vegetable salad.....Don't forget that veggies, particularly raw, are loaded with trace minerals that your body needs to function over the long term.

I also like you want to try and get off my medication which is for arthritis(Celecoxib). I'm waiting to get a little closer to my target weight so as to not put undo stress on my bad knee. The Doctor who put me on this medication told me most people put on 10-20 lbs after they start taking it and I wonder if it is hampering my weight loss efforts somewhat.

One of the best things about changing your diet is like you said, no cravings whatsoever....no snacking at work, before or after dinner and ZERO cravings for any sweets....but I still drink too much coffee, although it's decaf and I use artificial sweetener in it.

Thanks for the input and if I may make a suggestion for when you dive back into some training.....resistance bands are the bomb for keeping you're joints from aching if you're an older dude like me. Also take the time to stretch like Sofla pointed out for me a few weeks back. I've been spending about 10 minutes at night 3-4 times a week since then stretching my legs and my performance doing leg exercises and cardio is going off the chart.
Here's my two bits Crete, and I got this from my wife and I agree with/have experienced it (many times!)... exercise (at any age) is fine, and good for you long term, but it really doesn't have schit to do with weight or losing weight... it's about what you (no jokes!) stick in your mouth, period. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you have to PERMANENTLY changes what (ok, joke away!) you stick in your mouth. And mainly, I'm talking about being smart with portion control, and then not eating schit after 6 pm.

Here's a perfect "for instance"... I just bought 4 NY Strips from Sam's... they are pretty damned big. When my wife grills them, I usually eat a whole steak along with the fresh veggies she makes with them... but honestly, if I want to lose weight/keep weight off, HALF that damn steak with a ton of really good green beans makes the weight melt off and stay off. Hell, just use 2/3rds of it for the dinner, cut the rest up in a salad for lunch the next day. When we're doing good diet wise, I can still have a "stupid day" once a week.

I think the thing she read said that weight control is 90% genetics/what you stick in your mouth, 10% exercise.

Don't do a fad diet, it'll help you lose the weight, but you will never keep that weight OFF... you flat out have to changes your life and stick to it.

Last edited:

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014

I agree with everything you said, except for the body needing veggies for trace minerals and/or vitamins. Contrary to what is considered common knowledge, you get everything you need from meat alone. Again, I'm not trying to convert anyone here, and for me this isn't a fad diet. This is the way I intend to eat from here on out. There is nothing your body needs that you can't get from eating meat. Even vitamin C as I can attest that I haven't come down with scurvy yet :lol2: Everything in meat is readily absorbed by the body whereas nutrients from fruits and veggies aren't as bioavailable. Some of it is the fact that it is tied up in the form of fiber and non digestible, some is blocked from anti-nutrients within plants, and some isn't absorbed due to competing for cellular uptake with sugar. You have none of those issues impeding the nutrients being absorbed from eating meat.

With that being said though, I'm all about people eating what works for them just as you stated!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Here's my two bits Crete, and I got this from my wife and I agree with/have experienced it (many times!)... exercise (at any age) is fine, and good for you long term, but it really doesn't have schit to do with weight or losing weight... it's about what you (no jokes!) stick in your mouth, period. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you have to PERMANENTLY changes what (ok, joke away!) you stick in your mouth. And mainly, I'm talking about being smart with portion control, and then not eating schit after 6 pm.

Here's a perfect "for instance"... I just bought 4 NY Strips from Sam's... they are pretty damned big. When my wife grills them, I usually eat a whole steak along with the fresh veggies she makes with them... but honestly, if I want to lose weight/keep weight off, HALF that damn steak with a ton of really good green beans makes the weight melt off and stay off. Hell, just use 2/3rds of it for the dinner, cut the rest up in a salad for lunch the next day. When we're doing good diet wise, I can still have a "stupid day" once a week.

I think the thing she read said that weight control is 90% genetics/what you stick in your mouth, 10% exercise.

Don't do a fad diet, it'll help you lose the weight, but you will never keep that weight OFF... you flat out have to changes your life and stick to it.
No doubt as we age food and the amounts we eat play a bigger and bigger role in weight management....In my late 30's I drank an average of 8-10 beers probably 4-5 nights a week and dinner was usually a British Burger and 10 hot wings from the Ale House....I lifted heavily in the gym and trained 6X a week.....no sh!t when I tell you I was 215-218# and stayed between 6-7% bodyfat....All of that went away a decade later....but my love for exercise despite my achy joints and knee has stayed with me...I love the feeling of a "runners high" when doing cardio(always have) and despite having half the strength I used too I still like a good pumped feel when I'm done resistance training...It's taken the place of Bud Light for me.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Has your cholesterol remained normal after getting off the statin?
Well, that topic like the absorption of nutrients from veggies vs meats could fill its own thread and I don't really want to hijack this thread, but no I wouldn't say my cholesterol is "normal" as is clinically taught in medical schools for the past 60 years. My LDL and total cholesterol is about double what it "should" be, but research has and is showing that cholesterol itself isn't the cardiac killer that we have been led to believe. In fact its quite the opposite. Cholesterol is largely the most important building block in our bodies and its implication in heart disease was in my opinion erroneous. Again, that could be a multipage thread all its own and I don't want to hijack Cretes thread, nor am I trying to convince anyone to get off their medication of choice. And to boot, statins are horrible for your body while having literally NO impact on longevity or all cause mortality from heart related commplications. It does make drug companies alot of money though.

My triglycerides are low and my HDL is high, that is a better indicator of metabolic health than simply looking at LDL as a villain. Its not the number of LDL that is problematic, but the size of the LDL which is due to damage from metabolic disease. Large LDL are healthy and necessary, when metabolic disease is present LDL is damaged creating small dense LDL which is what gets caught up in the arterial walls as plaque which is bad news. How is LDL damaged this way? Glycation and oxidation as a result of consuming sugar and seed oils, yes the very same seed oils that have been touted as heart healthy are actually doing the exact opposite. Without consuming sugar and seed oils the LDL in your body is not only harmless, its very beneficial and has been shown to have a correlation with longer life spans.

I know that this sounds like I just told you 2+2=9, so I totally understand your skepticism should you bring any.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
While you can probably get enough vitamin E from animal-only protein. I don't think that you could ever get the vitamin C that your body requires from animal-only protein.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It does make drug companies alot of money though.
We've been misled for a long time by the partnership between drug companies and govt. health agencies...
The other topic you touched on about seed oils is also coming to light in a lot of new research.....and don't worry about high jacking this thread....I started it because I want to know different people's real life experiences.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You would be wrong.
Your facts?
Bottom Line: Vitamin C is an antioxidant that is essential for optimal health. However, it is not found at useful levels in cooked animal foods. The richest sources of vitamin C are fresh fruits and vegetables."

"A diet of only animal foods usually doesn’t contain enough vitamin C. For this reason, people need to get it from fruit, vegetables, fortified food or supplements.

However, sufficient amounts of vitamin C can be acquired from raw liver, fish roe and eggs. Lower amounts are also present in raw meat and fish ."

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Your facts?
Bottom Line: Vitamin C is an antioxidant that is essential for optimal health. However, it is not found at useful levels in cooked animal foods. The richest sources of vitamin C are fresh fruits and vegetables."

"A diet of only animal foods usually doesn’t contain enough vitamin C. For this reason, people need to get it from fruit, vegetables, fortified food or supplements.

However, sufficient amounts of vitamin C can be acquired from raw liver, fish roe and eggs. Lower amounts are also present in raw meat and fish ."
Well you just answered your own question at the end there. They contradict themselves. And again, when vitamin C doesn't have to compete with sugar for uptake you don't "need" as much, thus even the lower amounts in beef and fish are completely fine. I'm not trying to get argumentative here, its just that traditional nutritional "science" is a joke at best.

I just did a quick Google, this isn't healthline, but what hes saying isn't false.

Vitamin C and All Meat Diets

Last edited:

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
You never said that you ate raw liver, raw fish......Explanation: Eggs are a high-quality source of protein, with high amounts of vitamins A, E, and B-12 except for carbohydrates and Vitamin C. Plain eggs do not contain any vitamin C. Eggs contain very little carbohydrates, with only 0.36 g per large egg.

With the lack of fiber, do you suffer from constipation?
I never said eggs had vitamin C. Thank you for bolding the statement though. There is plenty of vitamin C in regular old beef. And no I do not have constipation, in fact I was chronically constipated until I started eating this way. High fiber is another one of those dead dogmas.....people have been touting its false benefits so long they don't even question its validity. I was eating fruits, prunes, and taking fiber supplements with no success. Now that I eat a high fat meat diet I have no problem.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Part of the reason I posted this on the forum is that I'm on here almost every day so in my mind it would keep me tethered to my goal and keep me on track. By periodically posting my bodyweight it is giving me something I can reference to mark my progress without keeping a journal....to each his own I guess BUT I would recommend anyone undertaking a similar lifestyle change should track it.

Anyway after not feeling much progress outside of performance gains in the exercises I'm doing and feeling slightly tighter in the belly area, arms and such. I weighted myself this morning and came in at 244#. I thought I was falling slightly behind my goal but again that's 40# in 4 months, although only about 6-7 in the last month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.